• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The dominated condition and sneak attack

Abraxas

Explorer
Simple question - if a PC rogue is dominated and made to use an at-will attack power on another PC (who he has combat advantage against) can he also be made to use sneak attack?

I've tried perusing the WoTC boards for some official (or at least CS) answer but have yet to find one - or - maybe there is something in one of the books that I have overlooked.

moxcamel

Explorer
As long as the action is an at-will, and is a standard, minor, or move action, the dominating creature can make him do it.

eta: remember that it's only a single action though, so the dominator can't make him move and then attack.

Dice4Hire

First Post
In my games I would say yes. The PC does not have to use other powers, or charges or anything like that, but has to attack to the best of their ability otherwise.

This was debated on this board a month or two ago, and if memory serves, no comclusion was reached.

DracoSuave

First Post
More accurately, the dominator gets to make any and all decisions about the attack he makes, provided those decisions do not involve taking additional actions or using encounter or daily powers.

Sneak Attack is neither of the above, even if it's someone multiclassed into rogue and only gets it once per encounter.

Last edited:

moxcamel

Explorer
Hmmm, having just pulled up my PHB and the Compendium, I'm actually going to change my mind.

In the entry for Dominated, it says "The creature also grants combat advantage and can’t flank."

In the entry for Sneak Attack in the PHB, it says "Once per round, when you have combat advantage..."

I'm pretty sure you can't both have and grant combat advantage at the same time. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about that, but if I'm correct then you can't pull off a Sneak Attack if you're being Dominated.

Nullzone

Explorer
I'm pretty sure you can't both have and grant combat advantage at the same time. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about that, but if I'm correct then you can't pull off a Sneak Attack if you're being Dominated.

If this were true, then monsters could not flank and then be flanked in line to any useful purpose. The only thing that may be in question is whether a dominated rogue considers the monsters on the field to be his allies for flanking purposes.

But they can still get CA via the plethora of other conditions available.

DracoSuave

First Post
If this were true, then monsters could not flank and then be flanked in line to any useful purpose. The only thing that may be in question is whether a dominated rogue considers the monsters on the field to be his allies for flanking purposes.

But they can still get CA via the plethora of other conditions available.

For the record, no, the dominated rogue does not. The only time the rogue does is if they are hit with Grazz't's domination, which explicitly changes things in that manner.

A dominated creature is still your teammate, being dominated doesn't change that.

Smurtis

First Post
A dominated creature is still your teammate, being dominated doesn't change that.

I totally agree with this.

In my game, my slayer was dominated and our defender tried to mark me to control me a little. However, since i am still considered an ally and not an "enemy", he could not... same idea with sneak attack...

Dominated is a name to a condition... if the DM says it's a go for story purpose, then that's fine, but for the mechanics, the "dominated" condition does not change you from ally to enemy.

**Edit**

I just looked up Sneak Attack in the CB, and in it's point form it doesnt say "enemy"... so, unless it says "... deal extra damage to enemy..." then i may have to retract my statement about sneak attack not being applied... But, anything that would target an enemy does not effect a dominated character, for they are still your ally.

Last edited:

moxcamel

Explorer
I can see why this has been an "unsolved" topic in the past. Honestly I could see "enemy" going either way with regards to this situation. On the one hand, RAW your allies are not your enemies, but on the other hand it's the big bad that's in charge of your action, and your allies are definitely his enemies. :erm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads