The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

Lazybones

Adventurer
javcs said:
When did Varo get an Immovable Rod?
The rod was the "short, battered crowbar of lusterless gray metal" that they found in the ogre horde on level 4. Varo did not discern its function until after they left Rappan Athuk.
Was the finishing blow a coup de grace or just an AoO?
I think it was just a regular hit, maybe crit with a few points of PA added on. The priest was already pretty beat up at that point.
I predict that they will be heading towards the Abyss at some point in the not so distant future. If only for revenge on Orcus.
That might not be necessary... ;)

Chapter 101

SUFFERING AND LOSS

The dead cleric remained standing at a sharp angle over the altar, pinning Varo in place. Talen appeared over his shoulder, heaving at the body, which still refused to move. “I can’t... he’s stuck somehow.”

“One moment, captain,” Varo said. He reached down and reclaimed his immovable rod, touching the button again to disengage its power. Once it was deactivated, the dead priest slid easily to the side, landing on the ground in a loud clatter of metal.

Talen helped Varo to his feet. Dar was there, his club covered with pieces of what had been inside the Orcus priest’s head. The fighter swayed back and forth, and looked barely better off than the dead priest.

“Those extra vials of cure light wounds you insisted we each carry made the difference,” Talen said to Varo. “Shay was able to bring Dar and myself around in time to help you. But we’re all in pretty bad shape.”

Varo nodded absently to the captain. The cleric’s head felt as though a dozen dwarves were excavating inside of it, but he fought through the pain, and walked over to where Malerase lay sprawled out on the ground.

“Yeah, I’m fine, don’t mind me,” Dar said.

“He lives,” Varo said with relief. He took out his healing wand, and began channeling healing power into the stricken elf. After a moment, the elf groaned and stirred.

“Zosimos and Valus are both dead,” Shay reported, coming over to join them.

“Can you restore them to life, priest?” Talen asked.

Varo shook his head. “That sphere, whatever it was, consumed their souls. I... I will make an effort, but I do not believe that it will be successful.”

Dar turned and walked away, ignoring Varo’s proffered wand. The others watched as he walked over to where Allera’s body lay. Drawing his dagger, the mercenary cut her bonds, and laid her out gently upon the stone.

Varo came to stand behind him.

“I am going to kill every last one of those bastards,” Dar said. “Do you hear me, Varo?”

“I hear you,” the cleric said. “You need healing. You can barely stand, and this place is not safe.”

“Leave me alone.”

“Did you mean what you just said? You cannot avenge her, if you are dead.”

After a few moments of silence, Dar stood. Without turning to face the priest, he said, “Do it.” He waited while Varo poured healing energy from his wand into his body. Some of the wounds he’d taken—more specifically, the heavy blows he’d taken from the clay golem—seemed to resist the effects of the wand, but as the blue glow faded into him, he grew visibly stronger. Varo cast one of his own few remaining healing spells on the fighter, which did appear to help more. During the minute or so that it took Varo to complete his work, neither Dar’s expression nor the look in his eyes changed. When Varo was done, he walked away without a word.

Varo looked down at Allera’s body. He shook his head, and started to turn away, but hesitated. Kneeling beside her, he bent and recovered something lying close against her chest, pinned under a scorched remnant of what had been clothing.

The cleric stared intently at the green gemstone, and the two points of flickering light that glimmered faintly deep within. When he heard Dar coming back, he tucked it into a pocket, and rose to help Talen and Shay with their other fallen companions.

Once Varo had healed their wounds, the five surviving companions quickly and efficiently searched the rest of the temple area. For the moment, they laid the bodies of Allera, Zosimos, and Valus, covered with cloaks, in a quiet, shadowed corner.

The place seemed less oppressive with the absence of the crystal sphere, but none of them felt comfortable lingering here. The room quickly began to stink of death, with the bodies of over a dozen men scattered about, not to mention the vile wreckage of the fallen glabrezu. Varo collected some magical equipment from the bodies of the temple’s defenders, and took a few items from Valus as well, including his healing wands. He gave Zosimos’s arcane wands over to the custody of Malerase, instructing him to use them freely if they were attacked again.

Shay and Talen found two doors that exited the temple. One led to a small chamber crowded with hundreds of skeletons, a grim burial mound. The other led to a small chamber with beds and footlockers for a half-dozen people. After their misadventures the last time they explored living quarters of the priests of Orcus, they elected to leave that room for now. Neither of the two rooms had any other exits.

Dar and Malerase had checked the rest of the temple area, and secured the main doors as best they could. As they closed the heavy iron portals, Dar had lingered for a long minute, staring down the dark corridor that led back into the complex. But ultimately, he closed them, driving several iron spikes into the tight gap between the doors and the floor with his club.

Once they had completed their search, the five of them gathered again at the bodies of their fallen companions. Varo had remained there, examining several objects, and casting spells. He’d removed the evil cleric’s plate armor, which he said radiated a potent magic, but for the moment they left that in a pile nearby, along with several other items of potential importance.

“Well?” Dar asked.

“We have done what we came to do,” Talen said. “We must return to Camar.”

“And let those bastards get away with this?” Dar said, gesturing to the cloak that covered Allera’s body. He roughly kicked the garment back, revealing the woman’s mangled head and upper body.

“Dar, please,” Shay said.

“We have several choices open to us,” Varo said. “But first, we must verify that Allera and the others are beyond our help.”

“I thought you said that their souls had been consumed by that orb,” Talen said.

“I saw a radiant mist drawn from the bodies of those slain, both enemies and allies alike, and drawn into the sphere,” Varo said. “But for the sake of our friends, we must eliminate all doubt.”

“How do we do that?” Shay asked.

“I would recommend a commune,” the cleric replied. “I will need to rest, and prepare in a safe place. Well, relatively safe, anyway. Then I can petition Dagos for guidance.”

“What are our other options?” Talen asked. “You said that there were several choices.”

Varo indicated a pair of scrolls, one taken from Valus, the other from the enemy high priest. “Both of these scrolls contain a word of recall," he said. "The spell is a potent one; it instantly returns the caster to a prepared sanctuary, over any distance. Valus was not powerful enough to cast the spell, but he could read the scroll; I presume it returns the caster to the sanctum of the Holy Father in the Great Cathedral in Camar.”

“Can you take others with you?” Talen asked. “What about the bodies of our fallen?”

“Unfortunately, the spell is not powerful enough to take all of us,” Varo said. “I can bring three people with me; I suppose each of you could take a body, if you are strong enough to carry it.”

“We don’t leave people behind,” Shay said. She didn’t look at Talen, but a momentary spasm of guilt passed across his face at her words, as the memory of her being carried away by the river trolls under Rappan Athuk stabbed at him.

“What about the other scroll?” Malerase asked quietly.

“It would take the caster to the enemy high priest’s private sanctuary, I would presume,” Varo said.

“And there is no way of knowing where that is?” Talen asked.

“I would guess that it is in a place that would be not entirely... friendly.”

The captain glanced at Dar, who stood with his hands crossed over his chest, silent but with eyes as cold as icicles.

“What about the river tunnel?” Talen asked.

“I can recover my water walk spell at the same time that I prepare my commune,” Varo said. “If it happens that our best option is flight, then I will be prepared to take us out.”

“It will be difficult, carrying these bodies,” Shay said. “We can put Allera into the bag of holding, but it can only hold a single person.”

“Malerase has a spell in his book that can create a disk of magical force,” Varo said. “It can help us bear the burden.”

“We should find a secure place to turtle up and rest,” Talen said. “Perhaps then we can...”

He trailed off, his eyes widening in surprise as he looked beyond Varo. Shay’s hand had dropped to the hilt of her sword, and Malerase had dropped back a step.

Varo turned to see Dar standing there, his sword held to within an inch of the cleric’s throat.

“I think it’s time you cut the crap, priest, and gave us the straight story,” the fighter said. “Or so help me, I’m going to cut your freaking head off right here.”

Nightbreeze

First Post
Dar is really a surprising one :D

By the way I'm starting the Rappan Athuk adventure soon. 4 pc and 2 npc, 4th level. But then I look at the 8 green guardian gargoyle and i'm feeling sick...and the I do this face: :]

Richard Rawen

First Post
Nightbreeze said:
Dar is really a surprising one :D

By the way I'm starting the Rappan Athuk adventure soon. 4 pc and 2 npc, 4th level. But then I look at the 8 green guardian gargoyle and i'm feeling sick...and the I do this face: :]

'When the DM smiles, it's already too late.'
anonymous yet experienced player of a RBDM

The question I see is: What does Dar think is going on, and how much is Varo going to let on?

jfaller

First Post
Wasn't it Dar who gave Allera the green gem? I don't remember clearly but I believe it was...and if this is so....well then, he might have been "baiting" Varo. Dar is becoming a tricky one.

While I still believe that Varo is the slippery one...Dar is becoming more and more of an enigma. Certainly not the Dar that we were introduced to in the intro. is it? ;-)

Superior job as always LB.

Lazybones

Adventurer
jfaller said:
Wasn't it Dar who gave Allera the green gem?

From chapter 79:
Lazybones said:
“I have to get going,” Allera said. “Jaros and I have a lot of preparation of our own to do before nightfall.”

“Wait. I wanted to give you this. It’s magic, I guess, so I won’t get to bring it with me, and I’ll be damned if I’m going to leave it here for some sailor to steal.” He took a large gemstone, several inches across, out of his pocket and handed it to her. It was the glowing green stone he’d found in the temple of Orcus in Rappan Athuk, taken off a slain cult priest.

“What is it?” she said.

“I have no idea. But it matches your eyes.”

Chapter 102

CONTENTION

“What in the hells are you doing?” Talen asked.

“Stuff it, captain,” Dar said. “And if you take another step to the side, Shay, you’re going to be taking a bath in the cleric’s blood.”

The scout abruptly stopped her subtle movement.

“This is madness,” Talen said. “We cannot afford to turn upon ourselves, especially not now.”

Dar ignored him. Valor’s blade seemed to shimmer up its length with a faint blue radiance deep within the metal. “It seems that my sword does not like you, cleric,” the fighter growled.

“Many people do not like me,” Varo said. “Why don’t you tell me what this is about, Dar?”

“What it’s about, Varo, is that you haven’t been clean with us. Even back when it was just you, me, and Tiros, all you gave us was the barest minimum of info needed to get us to go along with you. It’s the same damned thing now. I put up with it when it was about survival, but no longer. You told us about that book, that Coda thing or whatever, or some driblets that your god gives you, but there’s more to it than that. I know I’m just a dumb grunt and all, but even I can see that there’s something bigger going on here, and that you’re right up to your neck in it.”

Varo simply stood quiet, calm during the fighter’s diatribe, careful to keep his hands at view at his sides. “Very well,” he said, finally, when Dar had finished. “What is it you wish to know?”

“First off, what is going on here? What is this cult after?”

“The followers of Orcus are attempting to use the power of life essences trapped by the sphere we saw—a device known as the Sphere of Souls—to open a way for their god, the demon prince Orcus, to enter the Prime Material Plane. In other words, for him to come here, to this world, in the flesh.”

There was a moment of stunned silence. “I thought... I thought that wasn’t possible,” Shay said. “Gods... in the mortal realm?”

“Demon princes are an interesting conundrum, theologically speaking,” Varo said. “I could go into greater detail if you wish, but suffice it to say, yes, it is possible. But it involves tearing the very fabric of reality to make it so.”

“What happens if the demon comes through?” Talen asked.

Varo shifted his gaze slightly away from Dar to glance at the captain. “Basically? It would be the end of the world as you and I know it.”

Dar let out a sigh. “And you didn’t feel that it was important to share this tiny freaking detail with the rest of us?”

“I can only ask you to believe me when I say that I have been, until very recently, as much in the dark as the rest of you. If you would care to lower your sword, I give you my word that I will attempt no evasion, and will tell you what I know until you are satisfied.”

Dar looked hard at him for a long minute, before he finally lowered his sword. But he did not move to shealth it, keeping the blade close at his side. “Speak, then.”

“What I know about the cult of Orcus comes mainly from a text known as the Codex Thanara.”

“You had told us about this before,” Talen said. “I remember, in the interview with Marshal Tiros after Allera’s capture.”

“Yes,” Varo said. “I first encountered the book almost twenty years ago, when I was still an acolyte of the Shining Father. The book was fragmentary; the copy that I found had only approximately ten percent of the entire text intact. But what was there, was... disturbing. It sent me down a trail that ended up with me changing faiths, and working to uncover more information to fill out the gaps in the book. Every step I made, every nugget of information I uncovered, led me to the next. And with each step, the more convinced I became that the threat that I was revealing was nothing less than the end of our world.”

Dar looked at him with suddenly dawning comprehension written on his face. “You... you wanted to come here, all along.”

Varo said nothing. The fighter turned and walked several paces away, and then spun and came back, until his face was only a few inches away from Varo’s. “You set it up! You set us all up! Ukas, Navev, the others that died... it was all because of you!

For a moment, it looked as though the fighter would strike the priest. Varo stood there motionless, not offering any provocation. Valor gleamed in the fighter’s fist, as if eager to strike down the priest. The others watched tensely, but did not move to intervene.

“Well?” Dar all but shouted. “What do you have to say?”

“I did not arrange to have you sent to Rappan Athuk,” Varo said. “Nor any of the others. I made arrangements to be included with you, but the Duke was no ally of my religion; most of my companions in the faith of the Watcher died in the torture cells deep under the palace citadel.”

“You’ve already proven yourself a liar.”

Varo shrugged. “Then nothing I can say will sway you, for good or for ill.”

“I should kill you where you stand.”

“Then you will never leave this place!” Varo said, suddenly vehement. He took a deep breath and mastered himself. “I wish you no ill will, Dar. You were damned to this place through the whim of the Duke, but I fought beside you and Tiros to get out, and to help you return to Camar safely. I used my powers to bring the marshal back to life, and helped you overthrow the illegitimate and evil rule of the Duke. I even brought you back from death, and purged the lycanthropic corruption that was vying for your soul.”

“You brought me back as a tool,” Dar said. “I remember what you told me, when you explained why you had cured me of the wererat-sickness. You said that you needed me, for what was coming.”

“We all need each other,” Varo said. “What we face cannot be overcome by one man’s actions. The cult of Orcus has been preparing for this for centuries.”

“What about Allera?” Dar asked, pointing to the body. “What does she have to do with all this? Why did they go through so much effort to take her, in particular?”

“An hour ago, I would have said that they took her because of her unique identity. She is one of the most powerful healers in Camar; there are fewer than a dozen individuals alive today that can match her talents, and only the Patriarch himself exceeds it. That, combined with her virtue, and the purity of her bloodline—the pale hair is a dead giveaway—would have made her soul a particularly potent source of power for advancing their plan.”

“Wait a minute,” Talen said. “You said, ‘would have said.’ Why?”

Varo looked at him. “Because what I have seen here has changed my view. Because now, I would say that they wanted us to come here. All of this, from the start, from the original sentencing of our company to doom us to Rappan Athuk, to Allera’s capture, to our inevitable response. We have been playing right into the hands of the cult, doing their bidding all along.”

“What?” Shay interjected. “That doesn’t make any sense. We destroyed two of their temples, killed a bunch of their priests. And those demons we fought, I don’t know what in the hells those things were, but I bet they don’t come cheap!”

“No, they do not,” Varo said. “The vrock, the vulture demon, we’d tusseled with once before. It is a potent being quite adept at unleashing destruction. The other was a glabrezu, analogous to an aristocrat of the abyssal hierarchy. They are even more powerful, and not entirely common even in the lower planes. Sending one here, to the Prime, for any length of time represents an awesome expenditure of power.”

“Then I don’t get it,” Shay said. “If we beat it, how can we be advancing the cult’s agenda?”

“I think I understand,” Talen said. “It’s all about power, power for their sphere and their ritual. They are using all of it, the life energy of every being that dies in Rappan Athuk is all going to open that gate, to bring their master through.”

“Well, they can take their sphere and shove it up their collective asses,” Dar said. “I’m done with this; I’m getting out of here. And if you give me any crap about it, Varo...”

“Think about it, all of you!” the cleric said, emotion cracking through his calm façade once more. “Have you not paid heed to what you have seen in this place? This,” he said, gesturing around him at the contents of the temple, “this will be the fate of our entire world, should they succeed!”

There was a long silence, thick with tension.

“I have seen it,” a quiet voice said.

They turned to see the elf, standing a short distance away, lost in shadows but for the faint outline of his cape against the darkness beyond. His thin white hands were clutched tightly together in front of him.

“Some years ago...” he said, his voice so tight that they had to strain to hear him, “I came upon a secret place. It was a place of... of shadows, of evil. There was a sphere there, like the one that we saw... only much smaller. I was much stronger then in magic than I am now; by the standards of your Guild, I was an archmage. I was complete, full of myself and my power. I could sense the potency of the magic in the device. I allowed myself to ignore the taint of evil upon it. Rather than report my discovery, I made to seize it, to take that power for myself.”

“I knew almost at once that I had made a mistake, but it was too late. The power in the sphere was not only far beyond my own, but it was evil, hungry. For a time, I battled it... I do not know how long. But then, it came into me, and I could no longer resist it.”

“I saw... things. I saw the world I had known, changed. Darkness replaced light; clouds as thick as a sludge of oil blocked out the sky. The trees, blasted and unrecognizable black forms, their bare branches twisted and reaching up like claws. The creatures of the forest were gone, replaced by abominations that hid in dark holes under the ground, darting from shelter to shelter, devouring each other and anything else they could find.”

“All beauty... gone. All life... fugitive, fleeting. And the masters of this realm... horrors beyond horror, the undead, walking through the world of their creation...”

“My people tried to help me, but they could not see what I saw. In my visions, they too became sinister, insubstantial, mere echoes in a world more real to me than theirs. Madness took me; the touch of our gods through the hands of our strongest clerics could do nothing to abate its coming. I escaped... fled, driven by my madness...”

“Driven here,” Varo said. “To the source of your visions.”

“The Duke’s men brought him here,” Dar said.

“They only brought him to where he was already destined to come,” Varo said.

“How was it that you were able to heal him, when his people could not?” Shay asked.

“They did not understand the source of his affliction,” Varo said. “I stumbled upon it by accident, when I recited a passage of the Codex in his presence. “His contact with that unholy artifact had infused him with knowledge of the fate of his world, knowledge that drove him into insanity. He could not be rendered sane again, until that knowledge had been drained from him.”

“Until you took it from him,” Talen said.

“Yes. I recorded every word he said... And as he spoke, the missing passages of the Codex Thanara were filled. I still do not know everything about the cult or its plans; there are still considerable gaps, details that no one living, save perhaps for those few who are conducting the ritual, can know without being driven into complete and utter madness.”

“How is it that you were not driven mad as well by that which destroyed Malerase?” Talen asked.

Varo looked at him. “Because, my dear captain... I am already insane.”

jfaller

First Post
Oh man...this is soooo cool! I'll bet you can DM the heck out of a game LB. I can't imagine playing in a game run by such a creative story teller.

If you ever decide to move to Denver please look me up. ;-)

Have you ever thought about compiling this into a book and publishing? This is really great stuff. Seriously...

Brogarn

First Post
I played in an LB game at neverwinterconnections back in October of '03. The Tome of Secrets. It was rather freakin cool. He's as good a DM as you'd imagine. If I remember correctly, LB even created the module. A month later, I got to co-DM it with another DM and it was still cool, even from behind the scenes.

Now if only he lived near me! Although, honestly, I just wish I could find a gaming group, period. It's been over a decade since I last rolled dice for anything. :(

Richard Rawen

First Post
What I find so cool about this information is how it fits so well. Your craftsmanship is truly a gift LB, thanks, once again, Thank You for sharing with us. I among many others have exhorted you to take up the published pen, yet your choice does give us much pleasure, so I will complain with only half hearted insistence.

Now that the 'goal' of the 'quest' is sufficiently clear to the group... I wonder what the next choices will be?

[sblock=Brogarn & un-attached gamers] you may have to do as I have, living in a town of less than 2000, almost 50 miles from the closest stop-light: DM a game! Advertise through channels such as computer stores, talking to random folks, (when opportunity arises... I didn't stand around and hand out pamphlets or anything lol ) or whatever gaming venue you can find. Most card/video gamers are/know an RPG'r.

My group consists of: 1 46 yr old who I've know for 20+ years, my wife, a 29 yr old RPG newbie that overheard us talking and now hosts the group and twenty-something brothers who drive almost 50 miles (from said town with stop-light) to game with us! We lost one gamer to a move, and we lost our other husb/wife duo to increased youth ministry activities . . . so I'm back to recruiting passively :)
Good luck, no good gamer should be without a group![/sblock]

Remove ads