D&D 5E The Dual Wielding Ranger: How Aragorn, Drizzt, and Dual-Wielding Led to the Ranger's Loss of Identity

Cavaliers. shudder
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

The concept of Cavaliers as described was like the most exciting class for me by such a large margin when I heard D&D described to me and why I bought D&D (not knowing 2E didn't have them). To be fair to me I was 10.

Then I saw the rules compared to other classes in 1E, and then the various takes on them in other editions.

I have never played a Cavalier.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm not sure I'd attribute too much to the UA required proficiencies with respect to rangers turning into archers. My guess is the designers were trying to make sure a ranger actually knew how to use a weapon suitable for hunting since they spend so much time out in the wild. Most people playing rangers probably already knew this and made sure their rangers had an appropriate ranged weapon proficiency from the get-go.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The concept of Cavaliers as described was like the most exciting class for my by such a large margin when I heard D&D described to me and why I bought D&D (not knowing 2E didn't have them).

Oh, yeah. The game could certainly use a good mounted knight. And nobility/chivalry, we can work with. No question.

But that implementation. Gah.

Oh, I did play that cleric/ranger multiclass Snarf mentions, back in the day. It didn't suck as badly as it may seem on paper.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

The concept of Cavaliers as described was like the most exciting class for me by such a large margin when I heard D&D described to me and why I bought D&D (not knowing 2E didn't have them). To be fair to me I was 10.

Then I saw the rules compared to other classes in 1E, and then the various takes on them in other editions.

Certainly, this guy didn't make them look good:

eric-cavalier.jpg

Voadam

Legend
I always thought Drizzt was a 1e UA drow ranger who dual wielded because of being a drow. The fact that I read The Crystal Shard when it came out a year before 2e did (and that 2e drow PCs explicitly did not have special drow abilities that Drizzt had) may have added to that belief. Plus running a campaign with two dual wielding1e UA drow PCs at the time.

Sacrosanct

Legend
First, I love your posts like this, and your sense of humor.

but...

I have a hard time keeping focus to read the wall of text and making it all the way to the end. If it's just me, I'll admit my failings and feel free to ignore me.

Remove ads