The Dungeon Githyaki/Githzerai Obsession

Felon

First Post
Alzrius said:
Oi, egg on my face. Okay, that they are. But given that, they were left alone for well over a year before they appeared again. It doesn't seem obsessive to me.

Doesn't seem obsessive to me either, and I guess a little more detailed annotation than "almost every issue" is too much to ask for. People like starting posts that grouse without actually qualifying their complaints. Now I have every issue of Dungeon for the last several years, and with the obvious exception of the "Incursion" extravaganza from a year or two back, I can't recall seeing copious amounts of Gith in recent adventures.

Having said that, I think an obvious reason for a designer to place Gith (and Drow) in an adventure is because they fill a certain niche. They actually have affluent societies with a high degree of military and magical development. They can avail themselves of complex tactics in battle, matching PC's warrior for warrior, spell for spell, magic item for magic item. Really, how many warlike monstrous races can you say that about? It can be a nice change of pace from orcs, kobolds, bugbears, troglodytes, and gnolls.

Last edited:

Kylearan

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Where can I find out more about this githyanki "invasion"? Which Dungeon issues? It sounds like a perfect tie-in for our campaign...
It's issue #100. The corresponding Dragon (I don't know the number, as I don't buy Dragon) has some information about the Githyanki incursion as well, the ads in Dungeon promise.

Kylearan

Ryltar

First Post
'twas Dragon #309.

As was already stated, I, too, fail to note any "tendencies" here. It's not that there really are Gith in every single issue of D/D, and I like the occasional planar goodness. Incursion was a great idea, and perfectly done.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Where can I find out more about this githyanki "invasion"? Which Dungeon issues? It sounds like a perfect tie-in for our campaign...

Good luck finding it. My FLGS has back copies of Dungeon to #92 and dragon to #297 but it has completely run out of dungeon #100 and dragon #309. Curses! I wanted to get hold of that adventure!

Remove ads