• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeon Githyaki/Githzerai Obsession

dugeon is one of the best buys for the money, but there has been a recent trend of having the Githyaki/Githzerai in almost every issue of every magazine. Is one of the editors a Githyaki fan? and how about some high level non- planar adventures? This renders these adventures unusable for a lot of people and i am tired of seeing Rakkama? parties running around all over the place - maybe they should join together and have one big invasion. the adventures have been taking on the same tone recently and i am getting less use out of them.

Altalazar

First Post
What flavor of high level adventures do you favor? I agree, that the plane-stuff gets old, though to a certain degree, without that stuff, it can be very hard (for some) to come up with a suitable challenge for a high level party. If you leave that stuff out of it, then suitable challenges may start to resemble more a game of Diplomacy or Civiliation, as the fate of nations are resolved rather than just tough combats against BBEG.

Zweischneid

First Post
If you leave that stuff out of it, then suitable challenges may start to resemble more a game of Diplomacy or Civiliation, as the fate of nations are resolved rather than just tough combats against BBEG.

Exactly !!

I don't see the point in getting high level characters if all you do at Lvl 2 is beat Skeletons & Zombies and all you do at Lvl 20 is beat infernal or abyssal cyborg-planar-cyborg-ninja-death-incarnated-uber-Skeletons & Zombies.

If thats all ya can come up with.. write a low-level adventure instead.

Veritas

First Post
It's funny you should mention invasion, since that's exactly what the whole Githyanki thing is all about. :)

It's "The Incursion". The Githyanki Lich-Queen has desided that she wants to conquer the Prime Material plane and has started to send her troops through the planar gates. It crossed over into Dragon and Polyhedron as well.

Will the incursion continue
now that the lich queen is dead?

In any event I don't see how this was any worse than the overemphasis on drow.

Last edited:

Veritas

First Post
I think from the sounds of it, the main invasion broke up into smaller conflicts. I can't see the Githyanki really giving up completely, but maybe this is a setup to get them more involved in the Material plane, perhaps even becoming more permanent residents.

I can't see it continuing much longer though, and I can't see it reaching the heights of the Drow-abuse. heh. The Githyanki have been on the sidelines for a loooong time. I used them waaay back when the first Fiend Folio came out, and they've been a favourite race of mine since then, but they haven't been used at all, except for a brief appearance in one of the Baldur's Gate games, oh, and I think they might have been in one of the NWN suppliments, but that could have been the Githzerai. I can't remember.

BSF

Explorer
Heh - I remember the Githyanki from before the Fiend Folio. Dragon #67 - An adventure to retrieve a sword named Fedifensor. It was the first time I had ever read stuff about the Astral plane, and the Githyanki. Hmm, I wonder if I can back that adventure for my current campaign? I am reasonably sure none of the players have ever seen it. Especially since that issue of Dragon is older than many of my players.

VirgilCaine

First Post
I'm not a big fan of the Gith...
...of course, since I replaced the Astral with Limbo per the option in the MotP, and I don't have monks, that might make sense.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
Zweischneid said:
I don't see the point in getting high level characters if all you do at Lvl 2 is beat Skeletons & Zombies and all you do at Lvl 20 is beat infernal or abyssal cyborg-planar-cyborg-ninja-death-incarnated-uber-Skeletons & Zombies.

I agree. There are all sorts of interesting challenges out there that would be more than the match for a 20th level party that don't involve a BBEG. In fact, the BBEG is one of those cliches which is really starting to annoy me. What, there are no loose conglomerations of many small evil guys which won't fall apart if you just kill the head dude? No conflicts between mostly good or neutral nations which don't share the same worldview?

Maybe I've just been spoiled by some of the CM series of modules.

Remove ads