D&D 5E The Duskblade?

Weiley31

Legend
So while looking up 3.5 DND info for background/world building lore for 5E, I came upon something interesting about the Duskblades.

Apparently they use a bastardized version of Bladesinging. While I like the lore implications that Bladesingers wouldn't be fond of Duskblades because of that, I started thinking.

Which class would best suit/represent that style? I know the common sense answer would be Eldritch Knight, but then, I thought, would Bard or even Warlock count as a viable option too? It would be reskins, but I could see the Valor/Sword Bard being a good fit for Duskblades.

Thoughts?

Weiley31

Legend
Buffing the Valor or Sword bard seems like the place I'd start. Depending on the fluff even the college of whispers might work as a base.
Yes I thought how the College of Swords Flourishes could be represented of the Martial. And since Bladesinging is a full on Arcane Traditions, I see no probs with them having Bard spells as a contrast.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Mechanically you'd need to replace something, and the thing that stands out as a candidate if Bardic Inspiration, at least in part. It depends on how bastardized the blade song is mechanically.

Weiley31

Legend
Mechanically you'd need to replace something, and the thing that stands out as a candidate if Bardic Inspiration, at least in part. It depends on how bastardized the blade song is mechanically.
Oh yeah I wasn't even gonna include the Inspiration: unless the bardic inspiration is reskinned as parts of the bladesong being utilized. But not for support.

I'm not looking to make a whole new class. More reskin.

But I like the idea of Swords Flourishes with Valor's battle magic.

Last edited:

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
While bard the bard chassis is great I think you'd also want to do a face lift on the bard spell list to fit a dusk blade. As it stands bard spells instead focus more support effects or trickster oriented enchantments and illusions. If you want a more thematic spell list for a warrior you'll want to add a healthy amount of evocation, abjuration and transmutation spells. Some examples would include expeditious retreat, magic weapon, shield, shocking grasp.

Weiley31

Legend
While bard the bard chassis is great I think you'd also want to do a face lift on the bard spell list to fit a dusk blade. As it stands bard spells instead focus more support effects or trickster oriented enchantments and illusions. If you want a more thematic spell list for a warrior you'll want to add a healthy amount of evocation, abjuration and transmutation spells. Some examples would include expeditious retreat, magic weapon, shield, shocking grasp.

So a Valor/Sword bard with the spell list modfied. Sounds quite nice. And of course, INT as their spell casting stat.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I love this idea of a human corruption of Bladesinging being the Duskblade.

On the spells/class... it's kind of unfortunate as the EK framework fits the duskblade concept much better with the max cap on spells at 5th level for the Duskblade, while the Valor/Sword bard FEEL much more like a human corruption of Bladesinging :)

The EK framework actually fits much better as well given that you're limited to wizard evocation and abjuration spells + a small handful of other school spells.

Weiley31

Legend
I love this idea of a human corruption of Bladesinging being the Duskblade.

On the spells/class... it's kind of unfortunate as the EK framework fits the duskblade concept much better with the max cap on spells at 5th level for the Duskblade, while the Valor/Sword bard FEEL much more like a human corruption of Bladesinging :)

The EK framework actually fits much better as well given that you're limited to wizard evocation and abjuration spells + a small handful of other school spells.

You may have just unintentionally changed the entire concept of 2 characters I had: BOTH practitioners of Bladesinging that SHOULDN'T know it according to the 2nd Edition Bladesinging lore. Heck the one characters race maybe completely changed now. o_O

Uhm anywho, yeah I know, and EK HAS the weapon touch spell trait that Duskblades have.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases