The Dwarven Defender - Is it worth it?

Daermon

First Post
Pretty much what the title says. After looking over all the number, I've realized I pretty much need to go the armored and armed Fighter in order to be as effective as I need to in my game. (That said, thanks to everyone for all of your kind and thoughtful suggestions.) So I started looking through some prestige classes and stumbled upon the Dwarven Defender. The defensive bonus seems pretty cool, and it is nice to eventually get Uncanny Dodge. But the Defensive Stance....It's Rage, only with no movement and no fatigue.

Is that really worth it? Or would it be better to just be a Barbarian/Fighter?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Sadly I'd say "neither" unless you want to be a dwarf that stands around.

I'd favor something more like Fighter 5/Dervish 10/Tempest 5.

Singing, dancing, two handed death dealer of doom! :D :]

Daermon

First Post
Well, right now I'm looking more at a Barbarian 1/Fighter 6/Frenzied Berserker 2.

Seems kind of fun. :D

EDIT: I was just curious as to other people's opinions of the Defender. While it seems kind of cool, it just feels very limiting.

Daermon

First Post
Crothian said:
I like it, but it really depends on if you can just stand in one place and fight or not with your group
You know, if you ignore alignment restrictions, I imagine a Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker/Dwarven Defender would be alot of fun.

If you were playing a Gemmell-inspired wargame, anyway. ;)

Nightfall

Eh...

If you want to go Frenized that's fine. But honestly I still stand by my convinction, don't use Dwarven Defender.

Pious Templar, fine

Exotic Weapon Master, decent.

Viligante, not too shabby.

Other than that, I honestly don't see the need unless you're a devout dwarf guy.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Don't forget they also get DR 6/- and a dodge bonus to AC (+4 at level 10). Also they can eventually take 5ft steps while using defensive stance. Just the DR and the AC bonus are very good. They also get better will saves and hit dice that a fighter.
Alot of defensive power unfortunately in D&D offensive power is generally more important, but the Dwarven Defender is a very good tank.

Nightfall

What Aust said.

Offense is your best defense in D&D.

And quite frankly dwarven defender, while tank, is a sitting duck.

Bront

The man with the probe
I like the dwarven defender. But that's compairing it to the SRD classes. Nothing wrong with it though.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Defensive stance is hard to use (until you reach to 8th-level). But Dwarven Defender class gives you d12 HD, good fort and will saves, AC bonus, Uncanny Dodge (and Improved one), & DR. Also, Listen and Spot are class skills. It is an excellent warrior class. You don't even need to use defensive stance. Start from Dwarven fighter substitution levels (in Races of Stone) or maybe Dwarven paladin. Paladin 3/Fighter 4/Dwarven Defender 2 is really hard to stop.

Edit: And Fighter 6 (or Paladin 2/Fighter 4)/Exotic Weapon Master 1/Dwarven Defender 2 is a strong build. Use your mighty Dwarven Waraxe in two-hand and select Uncanny Blow as an exotic weapon master.

Frenzied Berserker is strong in offence. But unless you can make DC 20 will saves for sure, you will eventually kill your own allies. Barbarian 1/Fighter 6/Frenzied Berserker 2 only has base will save bonus of +2. Also, it indicates that even lower level clerics will Hold you very easily. While helpless, your offensive power is nothing. And even if you are in deathless frenzy, Coup de Grace may still kill you.

Remove ads