The fail a save on a 1 item is hurt controversy!

JLXC

First Post
:confused:

Ok. I have just realized many people are under some strange impressions by misreading the DMG. I could be the wrong one, but bear with me here.

In the DMG it talks about items not being damaged by spells unless a 1 is rolled on a save when they are in someones possession. I got that.

Disintegrate. Blammo... I disintegrate a Cleric in Full Plate and full equipment. He fails his save. It' over.

Now because of the rule above in the DMG some people seem to think all his armor and possessions then hit the ground in a neat little pile.

WHEN a person becomes... DEAD. Their equipment is no longer subject to "being in someones possession" because they are... DEAD. Then you have the items make saves and/or take damage because magical items still get a save and all.

Meteor Storm, Disintegrate, Destruction, Fireball, etc. They have a REAL effect on the D&D world. You fireball someone dead... bravo. Then their stuff takes the damage too because, like it was caught in a fireball.

Please tell me I am not the only DM to figure this one out? The cartoon nature of these enormous amounts of destruction missing the Items of the baddies so they can loot the bodies makes me queasy.

DM says "So Johhny your Meteor Storm tears the entire cabin to pieces! Peices of debris rain about and all the occupants are destoryed in a small flaming crater! Amazing spell!"

Player says "Good lets shift through the rubble and get their gold and magic stuff, and I hope those Leather Boots of his are ok!"

DM says "Ummm.... didn't you hear my description? There's probably not much left after taking all that damage."

Player says "But the DMG says items are only damaged on a saving roll of 1! What are you trying to pull?!?!"

Edited due to EN Boardness. My bad.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
JLXC said:
I think you are full of it.

Tell you what...since we're just throwing politeness right out the window, I think I can safely tell you that it doesn't make any difference what so ever how much effort you put into your post, or how right you think you are. I didn't even glance at anything beyond this snide comment, and I get the feeling I won't any time soon either.

Please, try to be nice. You'll get a better response that way.

Petrosian

First Post
Absolutely.

A fireball flies in and hits a cleric. He rolls his save.

if he rolls a 1, he takes full and 1 item takes the hit.

i he rolls more than a 1 but still fails, his items are fine but the cleric still take more.

if he rolls high and makes his save, the cleric and the items are probably Ok as he takes only half.

REGARDLESS, after he is killed by an effect (which means the saves are done already and the damage dealt) then the items are considered "unattended" for any subsequent damage type effects.

So, another fireball into the same area as the dead cleric would toast quite a few items.

that is what you meant, right?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: Re: The fail a save on a 1 item is hurt controversy!

kreynolds said:
Please, try to be nice. You'll get a better response that way.
What kreynolds said.

And regarding the topic at hand: Your equipment only becomes unattended after you're dead.
That said, the DM is always right - so if you disagree with this rule, feel free to kick it in the junk and take its wallet. Or something.

Last edited:

JLXC

First Post
Yeah I copped a 'tude. Forgot to crop that for "This" forum. Too much paste and cut.

Anyways... WOW. I am truly staggered.

People have complained about 3E being all about munchkinism and such and I have always argued against that.

If DM's allow Peoples Equipment to survive spells like Disintegrate and Meteor Swarm and such with NO CHANCE of being destroyed.... I am humbled. Truly. WOW.

"So Timmy your spell does 1 zillion damage and flattens the entire town. All but the clothes on the peasants and the lint in their pockets and the magic items on the people for you to check."

WOW. :confused: :eek:

Crothian

First Post
Rule 0 it, or design spells that damage equipment and not people. That way if the plate mail fails the safe wiuth a nat one the person inside takes damage.

IceBear

Explorer
JLXC said:
Yeah I copped a 'tude. Forgot to crop that for "This" forum. Too much paste and cut.

Anyways... WOW. I am truly staggered.

People have complained about 3E being all about munchkinism and such and I have always argued against that.

If DM's allow Peoples Equipment to survive spells like Disintegrate and Meteor Swarm and such with NO CHANCE of being destroyed.... I am humbled. Truly. WOW.

"So Timmy your spell does 1 zillion damage and flattens the entire town. All but the clothes on the peasants and the lint in their pockets and the magic items on the people for you to check."

WOW. :confused: :eek:

The rules are there for guidelines, not to overrule common sense, so I don't understand your lousy attitude.

IceBear

Remove ads