• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The fire shapers

Liolel

First Post
The fire shapers is a new monster I creatred. I would like advice on improving it and suggustions on challange rating.

Fire Shapers
Fire shapers are strange beings made entirely of fire that can change their form into several different shapes.
When dorment they look like spheres of fire their size depending on their power.

Lesser Fire Shaper
Medium Shapechanger (Fire)
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (39)
Initative: +6 (+2 dex, +4 improved initative)
Speed: 20 ft
AC: 16: (+2 dex, +4 natural)
Attacks: Slam +6
Damage Slam 1d6+3 and 1d6 fire
Face/Reach 5 ft by 5 ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Shape change,
Special Qualitys: Darkvison 60 ft, Damage reduction 5/+1, Fire Subtype, Body flames
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 14 Dex: 14 Con: 14, Int:12 Wis: 13, Cha: 14
Skills: Tumble: +11, Spot +10, Listen +10
Feats: Flyby Attack, Improved Initative, Multiattack

Climate/Terrain: Any Warm Land
Organization: Solitary or Pair
Challenge Rating: 5 ?
Treasure: Standerd, Non flameables only
Alignment: Often True Neutral
Advancement: 5 to 9 (Medium) 10-18 (Large)

A fire shaper is a sphere of intelligent
fire that can shape its own form to give itself different abilities and better combat power.
In its natural form a fire shaper looks like a sphere of fire as large as a
human being. It is rarely encounterd in this form as it often only stays in it
while it sleeps. It is semi solid unlike
real fire and if in a area filled with grass or trees it will often accidently start a fire.
Its other forms are self explanatory in terms of looks. When it’s a bird is
appears as a bird about as large as an eagle made entirely of fire. It uses this
form for travel. When it’s a dragon it becomes more solid and looks like a
dragon larger then a human or orc made of fire. When it is as a sword it
looks like a greatsword with flames dancing on the blade. It will often hide in that form letting other creatures
employ it until the time is right to strike.
Fire shapers speak ignan and common.

Combat:
In combat a fire shaper prefers to fight as a dragon staying in the air and
making fly by attacks and breathing its breath weapon. If severly injured it will
often change into a bird and fly away.

Shape change (su): As a move equilvent action the Fire shaper can change into any of the following forms.
Bird: Gains fly speed 100 ft (good) Size becomes small (Ac becomes 17) (Slam becomes +7), Gains spot bonus of +4 for a total spot of +14.
Dragon: Gains fly speed 60 (poor), Size becomes large, Natural armor increase to +8 (Ac becomes 19) Str increases by 6 to 20,
Con by 4 to 18 (Hps 51 fort save +9) Looses slam gains 2 claws (+8 1d6+5 and 1d6 fire)and Bite (+6 1d8+2, and 1d6 fire)
Gains breath weapon 40 ft cone 5d6 fire damage ref save dc 17 every 1d4+1 rounds
Sword: Becomes a +1 flaming greatsword. Only the hilt is untoched by the flames

Fire subtype (ex): Double damage cold no damage fire.

Body flames (ex): Any creature attacking the fire shaper with a unarmed attack or a natural weapon takes 1d6 points of fire damage.

Last edited:

Psychotic Jim

First Post
You might consider making it an elemental instead of a shapechanger or give it some of the special qualities of the elemental type. Also, can it wield itself when transformed into a sword; can it move around and fly for instance?

Liolel

First Post
I'm glad everyone liked it. It was made for an adventure I'm making with a fiery theme. I needed a fire creature that could fly in one manor or another and neither the efreet, or the fire bat(MM2) worked for me. As for making more maybe someday.

Liolel

First Post
A small update after playtesting. Fast healing proved to be to powerful with its speed so it has been changed to damage reduction.

Remove ads