D&D General The first official D&D novel, a surprise

Arilyn

Hero
I've had this book sitting on my to-read shelf for a while. I picked it up for its historical significance in gaming history. But Andre Norton has left me cold when I've read her other books. And the whole "people getting sucked into their D&D game" subgenre of portal fantasy, likewise. Eventually I'll screw up the nerve to give it a read.

I was a huge fan of Andre Norton growing up. When I went back to her as an adult? Couldn't read her stuff anymore. This happens a lot, to the point of me not wanting to read old favourites anymore. Sigh😔.

I read this as soon as I could get a copy after I found out about it. I did like it. I started the sequel but never finished it.
I bought/read the book upon it's initial release, but lost it somewhere. Didn't hear about the sequel until long after. A few years back, the Science Fiction Book Club offered a two-in-1 book with both, and I have it. Like you, never did finish the sequel.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
When did the trope start? CS Lewis?

228.gif

Arilyn

Hero
huh I really liked The Summer Tree

Kay is one of my favourite authors, and I really enjoyed Summer Tree too. His writing got even better after that trilogy, although, he does have a style that I realize would not appeal to everyone.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I, uh, read some Piers Anthony when I was much much younger.

.....I don't even want to know.

I went back and read Piers Anthony a couple years ago. I had a couple observations.

1. He clearly on was on LSD when he was writing
2. He would be judged through a modern lens of being a giant sexist (Note that I am generally cautious of judging people's work from decades ago through a modern lens)
3. They really weren't all that great books. Not awful, but not great.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases