• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Forgotten Realms books I'd like to see.

MulhorandSage

First Post
What's I'd like to see:

1. Mercenaries and Merchants of the Realms. Gold and Glory meets Lords of Darkness, with a lot of detail on merchant and mercenary companies and where the PC's could find useful adventuring opportunities.

2. The Demonlands. Steven Schend's finished treatment on various lands of the northeast.

3. Waterdeep 3e. Preferably co-authored by Ed, ideally a large hardback like the FRCS.

4. Old Empires 3e. Yeah, I'm a little biased :). But I think James Wyatt could do wonders with this.

Scott Bennie

rounser

First Post
ideally a large hardback like the FRCS.
From what I gather, Wizards only make a large hardback of something if they think it's going to sell to a broad audience. A Waterdeep hardback relies primarily upon an audience who already plays FR, and out of that audience, not everyone plays in Waterdeep - and so logically such a book will probably sell significantly less than the FRCS. That may not be enough of an audience to make it worthwhile to WotC to go hardback, or large page count, unfortunately...

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see something like "Return to the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar" done hardback with an FRCS pagecount, and if I know gamers mindsets such a luxury product might even sell well enough to make it worth it - but the accepted wisdom runs in direct opposition to that...and such thinking would stop a Waterdeep hardback too.

Last edited:

Dark Psion

First Post
Psionics of Faerun: Yes I know the Campaign book said the realms were a non-psionc world, but their has been more Official psionic material for the realms than for Greyhawk. One, let's settle the issue and two, let's publish all that hard work Mark and Andon are doing over at the Mind's Eye at the WoC site.

Legends of the Realms: What are the long lasting legends of the realms? Myth Drannor, Undermountain, Nethrill? Who are the ancient heroes 1st level fighter's try to emulate? What about artifacts like Excalibur or the Hope Diamond? The lost kingdoms, forgotten elven valleys, just what does go bump in the night in the realms.

DM's Guide to the Realms: The Campaign book was stuffed with lots of DM info, but there is still much more to print. Take the basics of D&D and how do they apply to the realms? Where are Dragons, Faerie, and other monster types found in the realms? Which countries mimic which historical nations on our earth?
Good guys and bad guys of the realms, spit into 1st to 20th level for character interaction. Revised Epic realms to work with Epic level handbook and epic villans to fight.

MulhorandSage

First Post
rounser said:

From what I gather, Wizards only make a large hardback of something if they think it's going to sell to a broad audience. A Waterdeep hardback relies primarily upon an audience who already plays FR, and out of that audience, not everyone plays in Waterdeep - and so logically such a book will probably sell significantly less than the FRCS. That may not be enough of an audience to make it worthwhile to WotC to go hardback, or large page count, unfortunately...

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see something like "Return to the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar" done hardback with an FRCS pagecount, and if I know gamers mindsets such a luxury product might even sell well enough to make it worth it - but the accepted wisdom runs in direct opposition to that...and such thinking would stop a Waterdeep hardback too.

I think a premium line requires an occasional premium product (on the order of the FRCS) to maintain its sales level. IMO, a Waterdeep book (or a Waterdeep/Skullport book) would be the most popular product to fill that niche. Whether it'd be popular enough to garner that level of support, well, I think it could be, though it'd need to be top flight, well hyped, and contain a reasonable amount of new info and "crunchy bits".

The other likely candidates for a hardcover would be an Underdark book and a Dales book. Eric Boyd's Underdark book is still pretty fresh, and I'd rather not see the Dales done again anytime this soon (though I probably wouldn't have the same aversion to a Dales/Sembia/Cormyr book.)

I liked Ed's previous Waterdeep products a lot. Ed's prefered magic level is higher than mine, but I've run campaigns in Waterdeep (using Ed's work) and enjoyed the setting. The detail level in Ed's work is usefully high and there's a lot of juicy political role-playing to be had among the various families and factions.

Scott Bennie

KingOfChaos

First Post
I'd like to see a book that details the drow, the underdark, etc. Make it better than the 2E book of the drow..which I felt didn't do the drow justice anyway.

I'd also like to see a book detailing Undermountain again..lol..I hate converting everything in the old books to 3E and I would like to see the book cover ALL layers of Undermountain this time.

I'm sure that - over the years - most of the main regions of Faerûn will eventually be covered by regional supplements. Personally, I'd like to see more on my favourite regions: The Dragoncoast, Chondath/Sespech and Westgate. I'll also look forward for an update on Amn, Tethyr and Calimshan as well as Thay/Rashemen/Aglarond (with main focus on Thay). But all in due time I suppose (and hope!)

-Zarrock

Psion

Adventurer
Okay to the point, what I'd like to see:

The Complete Undermountain.

UM I&II (omitting that stupid test of Tyr thing in UMII), the lost levels, and Skullport all converted to 3e and updated, with stats for the new level that was in the FR Atlas.

They'll never print such a thing, but it would be cool.

Last edited:

teitan

Legend
I would like to see more regional books coming out myself. Maybe a general sourcebook one month and then a region book the next. At any rate, as I said I would like to see more region books released at lower prices and modules based in the Realms. Maybe even a crossover megamodule that could generate interest in a Kara Tur or Zakharan sourcebook. Maztica can eat me. =^)

WHat I would like to know is what generic DnD supplements do we really need to have published now? I would like to see an update of Arabian Adventures and a Races book. Not the monster as PC book, but an update of the races from the PHBR sourcebooks with the Elven/Dawrven/Whatever subraces and the Complete Book of HUmanoids. That would be cool. Nothing else seems to fit my needs or tastes.

Jason

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads