D&D (2024) "The Future of D&D" (New Core Books in 2024!)

The online D&D Celebration event, which has been running all weekend, comes to a close with The Future of D&D, a panel featuring WotC's Ray Winninger, Liz Schuh, Chris Perkins, and Jeremy Crawford, hosted by Elle Osili-Wood. https://www.enworld.org/threads/a-closer-look-at-januarys-rules-expansion-gift-set.682894/ Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse A treasure trove of...

The online D&D Celebration event, which has been running all weekend, comes to a close with The Future of D&D, a panel featuring WotC's Ray Winninger, Liz Schuh, Chris Perkins, and Jeremy Crawford, hosted by Elle Osili-Wood.

banner.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.08.42 AM.png

D&D is exploring the multiverse
Revisiting classic settings. 1st of 3 settings (Ravenloft) released this year. Next year, the other two major classic D&D settings come out. Both in formats they've never published products before.

Plus a "little peek" at a third classic D&D setting - a cameo.

In 2023, yet another classic setting is coming out.

Evolving D&D
Because of new players, they're always listening. Exploring new styles of play (like no combat needed in Wild Beyond the Witchlight). Also presentation of monsters and spells. New product formats. More adventure anthologies.

Making products easier to use. Ways to create the best experience. Experimenting and looking into technology.

Approaches to Design
Wild Beyond the Witchlight has interior design and tools to make running the adventure easier. Story tracker, guidance.

Beyond the books, they want to make different and varied products - packaging and form factor. Things different to hardcovers and boxed sets.

A blog post is coming soon detailing some of the changes, with more to come in future posts.

50th Anniversary in 2024
They've begun work on new versions of the core rulebooks. Recent surveys tie into that. They're still making plans, but expect more surveys. More will be said next year.

They will be completely compatible!

New experiences in the digital arena.

January Gift Set
Rules Expansion Gift Set -- Xanathar, Tasha, and a new book: Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse. All in a slipcase. Was intended for the Holidays, but global production issues mean January instead. There's also an alternate cover version.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.44.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.44.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.45.36 PM.png

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse
A treasure trove of creature related material from previous products compiled into one book and updated.

Opportunity to update material with a feel for how the 50th Anniversary books will be.

Improvements based on feedback, rebalancing, new and old art.

Over 250 monsters, and 30 playable races. All of the setting agnostic races that have been published outside the Player's Handbook.

Some content from Witchlight, Fizban's, and Strixhaven was influenced by Mordenkainen's.

Available first in the gift set, but separately later in the year.

Monsters alphabetized throughout rather than using subsections.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.52.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.53.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.55.32 PM.png

Stat block changes --

Spellcasting trait is gone. Spellcasting action, slimmed down. Spellcasting monsters need less prep.

Spell slots are gone for NPCs. Regular actions that would have once been spells.

It was too easy for a DM to use spells which result in the monster having a too low effective CR.

Monsters can be friends or foes, and some magic will help rather than hinder PCs.

Where are we going?
More adventure anthologies. Another classic setting fairly soon.

Two all-new settings. Completely new. In development stage, an 'exploration' phase, testing the viability of them. They might not see the light of day.

Retooling nostalgia and blending it with new concepts. A blend of things that you know, and things that they have never done before.

In the short term -- more news next month about a new product for 2022 which goes into a new scary place we've never been before.

Boo the miniature giant space hamster
Below is an sketch from Hydro74's alt cover, which features Boo the miniature giant space hamster.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.06.19 AM.png

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
at that point I’d much rather play a CRPG than a VTT module… play to your strengths, not your weaknesses
The only appeal for the customer would be for solo stuff you could play between games or when one can't get a game. (For WotC, being able to monetize the encounter builder with only a bit of additional coding is obviously very appealing, since there are whales here who will buy everything on D&D Beyond, even while complaining about the quality of the products.)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I don’t know, to me it is the other way around. If they could kill the OGL, then they could get rid of 3pp without changing the game. Now the only way would be to create a sufficiently different game and not license it, like they did with 4e.

I also think it would be really stupid if they tried, esp. after what they just went through with the OGL…
WotC and Hasbro are great at shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly. I wouldn’t put anything passed them.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Same for me. I'm so invested in 5e I just couldn't make the switch. Definitely glad they stuck to their compatability claim.
You wouldn't have to make the switch even if the new books weren't compatible. Just stick with the pre-2024 material. 5e players are under no obligation to buy replacement core books next year to continue playing 5e just because WotC is selling them.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
You wouldn't have to make the switch even if the new books weren't compatible. Just stick with the pre-2024 material. 5e players are under no obligation to buy replacement core books next year to continue playing 5e just because WotC is selling them.
No, they’re not under any obligation, but the vast majority will buy the new books anyway.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
would have been it how? You would have stuck with 5e or jumped ship altogether?
I have thousands of dollars of 5E products: absolute, 100% interoperability is a firm requirement for me to continue buying D&D products for myself and for others. Plenty of room for changes and improvements within bounds...but if they had gone out of bounds, that's game over. Evergreen is the only path forwards for the game.

Kurotowa

Legend
I have thousands of dollars of 5E products: absolute, 100% interoperability is a firm requirement for me to continue buying D&D products for myself and for others. Plenty of room for changes and improvements within bounds...but if they had gone out of bounds, that's game over. Evergreen is the only path forwards for the game.
I'm not sure evergreen is possible outside of board games. No edition rules forever. Shortcomings become more irritating, gameplay becomes more rigorously optimized, tastes in game design shift, the space for introducing new content becomes more crowded... eventually you have to wipe the slate clean and get a fresh start.

That said, 5e still has legs. For all its downsides it's a pretty robust version of the game, and the 2024 patches look like they'll add years to the lifespan. It upgrades the PHB offerings, curbs some of the multiclassing exploits, that sort of thing. We might get another 10 years out of it. But I don't think the wheel has been broken. It'll still turn eventually. Just maybe a bit longer this time.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm not sure evergreen is possible outside of board games.
Monopoly had a major revision to its board earlier this century, but wisely, didn't make a big deal about it. It greatly improved the game, based on math nerds getting obsessed with the game and doing statistical analysis of the board and expected outcomes of every roll over the course of several million simulated games.

I suspect that RPG companies that made less of a big deal about their changes could probably get away with doing the same. Both the Troll Lords and, to a lesser extent, Goodman Games have lightly updated their flagship games, but neither have done so in a way to spook existing customers.

There is a world where WotC could do the same, but it would require a very different group of managers and possibly not being a publicly held company that hypes up stuff for shareholders each quarter, which makes it hard to quietly polish D&D without everyone knowing what changes are happening.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not sure evergreen is possible outside of board games. No edition rules forever.
My dad was already an adult when the medium of TTRPGs was invented. It seems thwt those who have tried, like Chaosium, have managed to keep evergreen RPGs going for decades.

Kurotowa

Legend
My dad was already an adult when the medium of TTRPGs was invented. It seems thwt those who have tried, like Chaosium, have managed to keep evergreen RPGs going for decades.
Have they? I admit I've only ever played Call of Cthulhu once, at a Halloween one-shot almost 25 years ago. But a quick check shows that CoC is currently on its 7th edition. Or were you referring to something else?

Remove ads

Remove ads