D&D (2024) The future of edition changes and revisions

Mercurius

Legend
A comment in another thread got me thinking about the nature of edition changes and how they are received. I wanted to tease out a specific element that I haven't heard discussed before, or at least not recently.

If we count major revisions (e.g. 3.5 but not 2E Skills & Powers), the AD&D line, starting in 1977, has had edition changes after 12 years (1989), 11 years (2000), 3 years (2003), 5 years (2008) and 6 years (2014), and possibly another 10 years (2024). The first two, 2E and 3E, were--as far as I remember--widely accepted and even embraced. 1989 had no internet except for a few folks on Usenet, so is hard to compare to the others. But I don't remember any 1Ever folks running around, although I assume there were some. And of course 3E was met with tons of excitement and generally rave reviews, and of course is how some of us discovered site, in the old red-and-black Eric Noah's Third Edition News page.

I do remember a bit of commotion when 3.5 came out, but most seemed to be happy with it. And of course the 4E thing. 5E was also met with general positivity, in a somewhat similar manner to 3E (although less of a "finally, D&D enters the modern era" and more "we're back, baby!").

Which brings me to my point. In every edition change of the past, at least going back to 2E, the D&D community was comparatively small compared to today, and mostly made up of long-term fans. By 1989, the D&D Boom of the early 80s had faded, and those of us who remained were in it for the long-haul. There were still new people coming in, but there was no boom. Even the 2000 boom was relatively small, and much of it was people coming back to the game. Similarly with 2014.

But now we're in uncharted waters. The player base is allegedly north of 30 million worldwide and growing, most of whom started playing within the last five years or so. Meaning, most of those folks never experienced an edition change, and have only ever known 5E - and all that entails, perhaps most especially the relatively small number of products - far closer to the sparse release schedule of 1E than the glut of 2/3/4E.

Or to compare 5E to 2E, assuming no more products than already announced, through 2022--the ninth year of 5E--by my counting, there have been 44 unique products published - counting only books and box-sets, but not DM screens and other accessories. Those 44 products break down as follows:

Core rule books: 3
Starter sets (including licensed): 5
Splat books: 7
Setting books: 8
Adventure books: 18
Luxury products/other: 3

Note: I'm making a couple judgment calls in terms of categorization--e.g. considering Acquisitions a splat--but that is really beside the point; the total count is more important)

44 products in 5 years is a bit less than 5 products a year.

Now consider that at the height of 2E, there were more distinct products published every year. The first few years, 1989-91, had a bit less than that, from about 25 (give or take) in '89 to 35ish in '90 and over 40 in '91. But from 1992-96, there were over 50 products published each year, peaking at about 70 in 1995.

Now granted, many of those products were much smaller (and cheaper) than your typical 5E tome. That includes modules, setting supplements, and other products - a wide range of stuff. And during 2E era, TSR essentially had different product lines within the overall umbrella of D&D, centered around the settings. For instance, in 1995--the year of the 2E revised books, in addition to about 15 core non-setting specific products, there were products published for the Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Planescape, Birthright, Dark Sun, Lankhmar, and even a 2E product for Mystara (by that point, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer were fallow) - and as many as 13 different books just for the one setting, in this case, the Realms.

3E and 4E also had a ton of products published, but rather than 60+ of all types, they focused mostly on hardcovers. 3E peaked in 2006 with over two dozen products, and 4E in 2010 with about the same - but the products tended to be longer and more expensive.

So even if we just compare 5E to the previous two editions, we're talking about a fraction of products. 2019 saw the most products published with 8, although three of those were "non-essential" licensed starter sets and the Tyranny of Dragons re-packaging; in actuality, 2022 is the peak so far, with 7 distinct products, or 6 if you don't count the Dragonlance battle game (and that's assuming there's no surprises).

I elaborate all of this because an edition change means something different now than it did in previous eras, for two main reasons:

1. The player base is different - much larger, younger, and generally more casual.
  2. There are far few products in 5E than in previous editions at a similar point, at least going back to 2E.
So my question, or rather open-ended speculation, is how will WotC handle an edition change/revision differently from in the past, and how will the player base respond? Of course we can't know either for certain, although we can speculate. And as to the first, there are signs of gradual rolling out and transition, from the Monsters of the Multiverse book, to various things like the stuff they publish on their website to new rules additions or revisions in books like Tasha's.

And of course they've said that the 50th anniversary will be backwards compatible, but not only have we heard that one before, but that means different things to different people. Some feel that everything before Tasha's isn't compatible, while others say that the entire 50 years of D&D products is still essentially compatible - or at least usable.

So given all the above, and the various factors that make this era unique or different from previous eras, how do you see WotC handling edition changes and revisions going forward, and how do you think the player base will respond? (With the caveat that all of this, to some extent, assumes that the player base will remain large and casual, rather than shrink back down to a small core of diehards - which only time will tell).

While I'm specifically asking about the above, and thus mostly focused on 5.5 and whatever comes after that, feel free to speculate about how you think the player base might change - if you think this is another boom with an eventual contraction, or whether you think we're in an era of continual expansion. Of course with technological and global considerations, it is hard to think about where we might be in a couple decades, but at least we an speculate on the 2024 revision, and perhaps whatever comes down the pike 5-10 years after.

Alright, enough words from me ;)

Yora

Legend
WotC seems to have abandoned the splatbook assembly line that was such a central feature of 2nd and 3rd edition as a commercial product. I don't even remember how things looked in 4th, 5th edition now follows a very different production strategy.
I am sure that has a major impact on how they approach future revisions.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
New D&D players: "It will be perfectly backwards compatible! All these old books will still see use!"

Old D&D players: "My sweet summer child" stares over at dusty 3.0 books that become mostly redundant as soon as 3.5 came out runs hands lovingly over old 1E/2E books Whispers "Ill never let you go."

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If we count major revisions (e.g. 3.5 but not 2E Skills & Powers), the AD&D line, starting in 1977, has had edition changes after 12 years (1989), 11 years (2000), 3 years (2003), 5 years (2008) and 6 years (2014), and possibly another 10 years (2024). The first two, 2E and 3E, were--as far as I remember--widely accepted and even embraced. 1989 had no internet except for a few folks on Usenet, so is hard to compare to the others. But I don't remember any 1Ever folks running around, although I assume there were some.
Hello there. We stuck with AD&D when 2E came out...and when 3E came out...and when 3.5 came out. We still play AD&D. But we also played 4E for the entire lifespan of that edition and have played 5E since the playtest.
Which brings me to my point. In every edition change of the past, at least going back to 2E, the D&D community was comparatively small compared to today, and mostly made up of long-term fans. By 1989, the D&D Boom of the early 80s had faded, and those of us who remained were in it for the long-haul. There were still new people coming in, but there was no boom. Even the 2000 boom was relatively small, and much of it was people coming back to the game. Similarly with 2014.

But now we're in uncharted waters. The player base is allegedly north of 30 million worldwide and growing, most of whom started playing within the last five years or so. Meaning, most of those folks never experienced an edition change, and have only ever known 5E - and all that entails, perhaps most especially the relatively small number of products - far closer to the sparse release schedule of 1E than the glut of 2/3/4E...

I elaborate all of this because an edition change means something different now than it did in previous eras, for two main reasons:
  1. The player base is different - much larger, younger, and generally more casual.
  2. There are far few products in 5E than in previous editions at a similar point, at least going back to 2E.
So my question, or rather open-ended speculation, is how will WotC handle an edition change/revision differently from in the past, and how will the player base respond?
Honestly...I think they've learned their lesson with 3X and 4E. They have a winning combination and they're on the absolute top of the heap of the market. They would be stupid to risk that position. The only way they can update the rules and not lose a substantial section of the fanbase is to deliver exactly what they said, a few revisions and tweaks that remain 100% backwards compatible with 2014 5E. Anything like a proper edition change...2E to 3E or 3E to 4E...will cause the fanbase to split in a dramatic way. They still have memory of Pathfinder overtaking the market during 4E. There's no way they'd ever risk that again.

If the changes are small enough, the fans will get over it. They'll either play the original version of 2014 5E or they'll update to 2022 5E...or 50AE...or 5.5...or whatever we're calling it today. If the changes are big, the fanbase will split and there is potential that some other 3PP will swoop in and dominate the market. It's not likely to happen unless the 5E fanbase shatters into several camps. But even a bifurcation with rough parity between the camps would still leave both utterly dominating the RPG market. Looking at the numbers you can see that many older editions of D&D have more players than non-D&D games. It's wild.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Frankly, I don't know what the future is going to be. It seems to me that the situation we have here may be equal parts "things are going pretty well" and "we're keeping costs low by keeping staff low and licensing." (I may be beating a dead horse, but taking absolute ages just to get out an extremely simple conversion document because ONE PERSON was on jury duty? Yeah, that doesn't speak to a game that is getting the staff it needs to produce the things it could really use.)

My hope is that, between the pretty open calls for some more options just not as many things as had come out for 3e or 4e, and the pretty significant implied changes from stuff like their talk about adding feats to backgrounds, they're going to slightly increase their publication rate. Something like 6-8 products a year, with one or two being heavy on player-facing options, as opposed to the pretty-much-just-one we've been getting. That, plus the potential to streamline and slightly increase the density of options in the PHB, sounds like it would truly hit the sweet spot for most players--light enough on options to be something most folks can still grasp, but dense enough with options that people can feel there's a richness to what one can choose to play.

Stormonu

Legend
Edition changes are messy things. You'll lose some of your customers who aren't willing to buy into the new edition (I intend to be one, when it happens), while you'll have a small percentage who pick it up BECAUSE they heard of it due to the noise volume about an edition change.

If the 50th year books are a MAJOR change, I think it will be a blow to game's popularity. If the changes amount to the level of incorporation of Xanather's changes, Tasha's and Monsters of the Multiverse, there will be some minor grumbling, but the game will keep on.

If anything, I expect this to be on the level of if the 1E UA, Dungeoneers & Wilderness Survival guide info had all been rolled into the original DMG & PHB. Or about the Black book redux of the PHB, DMG & MC for 2E. Or 4E to Essentials. I'm not expecting it to be 3E to 3.5, 3.75 (the 2nd round of Complete, PHB2, DMG2 & To9S) or 3.95 (Pathfinder) level of change.

I'm expecting you will still be able to use the 2014 PHB at the game table, but some of the options won't be as optimal. I think that's been WotC "evergreen" plan for this edition - tweaks here and there, with new additions or ways of doing things that work with the older material, but may be superseded by new, superior content (i.e., Eldritch Knight isn't redone, but the new Sorcerous Blade is clearly a superior way to do a Fighter/Wizard).

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Every edition (and half edition) from this point on I expect to be advertised as "Fixes the problems of the Previous Ed to try to convinces people to buy it.

Why wouldn't you want 5E but the Classes are so much better and more powerful!?!?!?!? Abd look Critical Role switched to the new hotness!

"Its like 5E but FIXED and BETTER!"

Ooohhh!!! Shells out $150

JThursby

Adventurer
These are two assumptions I want to push back against slightly, if only to highlight some of the nuance in the current D&D scene and why the game is experiencing explosive popularity.

I run 5e professionally for kids sometimes, and I haven't noticed anything casual with their engagement in the game. They like running complex builds and heavily utilize full casters and strange martial combos. These are the same kids that will learn how to master many difficult video games, some of my kids having already conquered Elden Ring for instance. Nor are they casual in the sense that they are only interested in D&D as a peripheral hobby. All of them are pretty heavily invested in the game and have fairly developed opinions about what they like, dislike and want out of the game. There's a trend right now where each younger generation is experiencing more and more difficulty gaining and keeping friends. About 1 in 4 twenty-sometimes in the US report as having no friends whatsoever, and those who report having friends have far fewer than previous generations. As a twenty-something myself I struggled with this when I changed colleges and it was a living hell. My only real in to a friend group was through tabletop roleplaying, and the friends I made that way are the ones I have kept for a number of years now. As chronic loneliness gets worse I imagine more and more people will turn to social games like D&D. It isn't particularly more complicated than most popular video games, and it fulfills an ever more vacant niche.

When it comes to the lack of 5e products this is true...for first party products. The third party publishing scene for D&D 5e is ludicrously expansive. It enjoys the largest and most frequent kickstarters for new projects, and DMs Guild dwarfs other digital publishing venues for third party content. So while the product pool might be shallow when it comes to first party products, the third party publishing scene is going to be a factor in what version of 5e they are ultimately going to play, as few truly play a stock version with no alterations. I would not be surprised if at this point many players decide they do not need a WOTC version of the game and just pick a fan-alteration as their defacto version (ie Morrus' Advanced 5e).

Last edited:

In my humble opinion WotC now is worring more about to create new IPs or reanimate old glories, and then some sourcebooks or modules are something like a "pilot episode", or "hidden pilot episode" of potential spin-off. Witchlight could become a new setting, like the anti-Ravenloft.

Other point is the translation of books to other languanges. This time WotC will not licence but they will publish. In some places the translation arrived a lot of years later, and then for players from other country it would be too soon for a new edition.

And the last years of the edition should be for compilations or to try new ideas, as new game mechanics. A 5.5 Ed is possible, and my theory is 6Ed should be designed to can use the different genres, not only fantasy, but also sci-fi, WWII, Lovecraftian horror, gangsters vs cops, superheroes.. but the softest way could to publish a computer rpg with the new ideas. Like this we could avoid a new edition war.

Remove ads