D&D 5E The Gaming Gang Pages Through Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden

In this video from The Gaming Gang, you can watch a page-through of Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frost Maiden, including a look at Aurils three forms. There's a few snippets posted below, but check out the full video for a look at every page in the book, which comes out next week. "Jeff dives in to take a look at and page through the latest adventure supplement for Dungeons & Dragons, from...

In this video from The Gaming Gang, you can watch a page-through of Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frost Maiden, including a look at Aurils three forms. There's a few snippets posted below, but check out the full video for a look at every page in the book, which comes out next week.

"Jeff dives in to take a look at and page through the latest adventure supplement for Dungeons & Dragons, from Wizards of the Coast. D&D Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frost Maiden transports the characters to the frigid lands of the Far North to save the inhabitants of Ten-Towns and foil a trio of evil plots. The 320 page hardcover arrives in stores September 15th, 2020 and will carry an MSRP of $49.95."

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.51.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.50.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.50.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.50.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.49.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.48.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.48.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.47.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.47.42 PM.png

Aaron L

Hero
If you are familiar with John Carpenter's "The Thing" this adventure is heavily influenced on that. Much of this of course will also depend on how the DM runs the game. If the "Player Character Secrets' are handled correctly, it would be very interesting. Not knowing who you can really trust. Is someone in your party not even who they pretend to be? And then you stumble across an ancient lost Netherese necropolis buried in the snow. Good times. In the Frozen North, no one can hear you scream...
That actually makes it sound fairly cool and something I could be interested in, which is good because otherwise I have basically zero interest in Icewind Dale. But even with The Thing influence, I would never spend 50 bucks on it.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
So one of the secret summaries mentions that the player is unable to remember what exactly happened due to trauma but if greater restoration is cast on them they will be able to recall everything.

Has Greater Restoration always worked like that or do they mean magically inflicted trauma? I'm not a fan of the idea that mental trauma from horrid experiences can be just magicked away.

Just seems a bit insensitive to run it that way but I've never had to suffer such a thing so who am I to say.
If you were doing this module in a Duet style with one player, seems like this would be the perfect video game plot method for this module.

Reynard

Legend
So one of the secret summaries mentions that the player is unable to remember what exactly happened due to trauma but if greater restoration is cast on them they will be able to recall everything.

Has Greater Restoration always worked like that or do they mean magically inflicted trauma? I'm not a fan of the idea that mental trauma from horrid experiences can be just magicked away.

Just seems a bit insensitive to run it that way but I've never had to suffer such a thing so who am I to say.
In a world where magic can bring back the dead it's not unreasonable for magic to have the power to heal trauma. As someone married to a PTSD sufferer I don't find it any more problematic than raise dead even though I lost my father to cancer. The idea that we should not create fantasies because the real world doesn't conform to those fantasies seems to miss the point of "fantasy" from the outset.

pukunui

Legend
Yeah i feel the marketing and buzz words they throw in before the release of the adventures dont always jive with the finale release. Sure D into A had some strange vehicals but it wasnt realy that much of Mad Max Fury Road (other than both were railroads) and LMoP wasnt B10 Nights Dark Terror.

Oh well i will judge it once i get it and ignore the marketing.
Yeah, like how Dragon Heist is actually about stopping a heist not performing one yourself. WotC always misses the mark a bit with the product marketing.

I feel that you need to focus the adventure on the mystery of the final chapter, and change a few story elements so that the narrative logically flows to that point.

I think the encounters themselves are full of promise, and I think the adventure will be worth the effort to fix it.

Remove ads

Remove ads