D&D 5E The Gloves Are Off?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The situation as described doesn't say, only that whatever it was, the PC touched the poisoned chest. Feel free to fill in the player's intentions if you think it will help illustrate your position.
As with any situation where there's a mismatch between players about what's included in the fiction, I would pause play to get on the same page with the player by accepting their character was wearing gloves and that therefore the skin on their hands hasn't been exposed to the poison. Then, I would describe the result of the character having touched the chest without asking for a saving throw.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Are things like cloaks, parkas, boots, etc. listed separately? If no, that's an even bigger hole than not listing gloves; in that it's assumed everyone in the setting freezes in the winter. :)

According to the rules, player characters cannot wear underwear.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It truly befuddles me that you honestly think you are not controlling the PC's action in the scene when you, as DM, decided that the PC has dodged behind a pillar. And so we're clear on definitions: "action" = "something the PC is choosing to do in the fiction".
Do you think the PC isn't trying to avoid the spell and making the save because of it? That's an action he is doing in the fiction and I am narrating the result.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Except that's not the position that was posted in the OP. Forget "needing an 11 or higher," we've already established that the entire idea of this being a poison that kills you was added well over a hundred-fifty posts in, by someone who isn't the OP. That's in no way the frame of the discussion that the rest of us are having.
That much is certainly true. That said, when you're responding to the tangent you can't really say that the tangent wasn't consistent with Russian Roulette. It is as I demonstrated. That it's not really consistent with the OP is a separate issue. :)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, the player is factually incorrect here and has failed to record gloves on their character sheet. The DM is well within their role of mediating between the rules and the players to tell them so and press on with the saving throw. But in terms of table harmony in the moment, is it worth doing that?
That's completely group dependent. My group is very old school in that regard and wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I see .. so now you guys are using the travelling rules for every moment outside of combat rounds.
That's what the traveling rules say.

Look at the travel pace chart. It deals in feet per minute, miles per hour and miles per day. A normal pace is 300 feet a minute or 30 feet a round for the PCs that move 30, which is nearly all of them.
Do your players frequently choose the mapping or foraging stance when visiting the blacksmith?
It's not a stance. It's just what happens when you are moving. If I walk 5 feet to the other side of my office, I've traveled there. While travel is typically over long distance, travel doesn't have to be long distance and the PHB travel rules use short distances.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It looks like you fundamentally distrust the player here then. I would see "I have gloves on" as no different than "I cast shield" when the orc hits you. The attack would have hit, but now it doesn't. Is shield a retcon?
Yes shield is a retcon. It's just one supported by rules. This hit has already happened and shield rewinds it so that it misses. Most abilities that affect rolls have to be used prior to knowing if you succeed or not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases