D&D 5E The Gloves Are Off?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I would think there is more to support it in the sense that gloves are a perfectly common and mundane item that would be available to just about any PC.

What if we flipped the situation a bit... what if instead of contact poison, the trap was caltrops? Would anyone ask "do you have boots written on your character sheet?"
Gloves are not a part of every outfit. Boots/shoes are unless someone goes out of the way to say they are barefoot.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Hilariously, sleeping doesn't make you Incapacitated/Unconscious. :sleep:
You can wake up from sleeping. You can't do anything about incapacitated or just wake up at a small noise when knocked unconscious. I get what you're saying, but there is a difference. Is the PC not conscious when sleeping? Technically yes. That's not the type of unconscious the condition is modeling, though. :)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
We weren't told. All we know from the original post is:

"Unbeknownst to an unarmored character and despite the DM's sufficient telegraphing, they touched a chest."

The character's intention, or the details leading up to how and why the character touched the chest, were never mentioned. The scene begins with the character touching the chest. Apparently the DM had dropped a few hints about it, too.
Yes, I’d gathered all that from the OP to which I was replying. To me, the description of play was insufficient for me to say how I would resolve it because I didn’t have the player’s complete action declaration. I wanted to be able to say what the result of touching the chest would be since the saving throw was no longer an issue. I found a way around that though once I realized it wasn’t the point.

Do you think the PC isn't trying to avoid the spell and making the save because of it? That's an action he is doing in the fiction and I am narrating the result.

It is true that when a save is successful, something is happening in the fiction to avoid the effect being saved against. And, when a DM describes the PC as "dodging behind a pillar" to avoid the brunt of a fireball on a successful save, that DM is dictating what that something is. The DM, through narration, is literally controlling the PC's chosen action in that example. Now, at any particular table, the DM can certainly describe the PC's reaction, action, thoughts, or speech as part of a result - but it is certainly not required or even necessary as has already been shown.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
That said, when you're responding to the tangent you can't really say that the tangent wasn't consistent with Russian Roulette.
You can if your responses are "what are you talking about?" and "No, that presumption isn't part of the scenario under discussion."

hawkeyefan

Legend
Gloves are not a part of every outfit. Boots/shoes are unless someone goes out of the way to say they are barefoot.

Right, so the rules make it clear that shoes/boots are a thing and how one gets them. But not so with gloves.

This thread has changed my mind from my initial stance. I've decided to never use contact poison, so that instead of having even a moment of discussion like this at the table, we can instead just continue to play the game.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Right, so the rules make it clear that shoes/boots are a thing and how one gets them. But not so with gloves.

This thread has changed my mind from my initial stance. I've decided to never use contact poison, so that instead of having even a moment of discussion like this at the table, we can instead just continue to play the game.
Take a page out of the players book and have all traps use magical effects. That way the effect just happens irrespective of what gear they are wearing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases