The GM is Not There to Entertain You

pemerton

Legend
Riffing on @Mannahnin's posts.

I think we can be pretty confident of the following: if having a PC build a castle in classic D&D required the players to write down every instruction to the engineers and mason, or describe where and how every brick is laid, fewer campaigns would involve building castles than they actually have done.

In the same context, when the GM makes a single Loyalty throw for the engineers, to see if they do their job properly, that is not taking away player agency just because the player doesn't get a throw to check if they persuade the engineer, or catch them goofing off, every time. Weeks or months of interaction is being bundled up into a single throw to make the ingame activity viable as an object of resolution at the table.

There is nothing magic about the interpersonal altercations that might result in capture that distinguishes them from the interpersonal dealings that might result in an engineer doing a better or worse job at building a castle. We can set the degree of resolution however we like, at whatever will make the game fun and interesting.

The same when it comes to consequences. Being captured need not, in itself, be a more or less irrevocable outcome than having a castle that is liable to fall down around you because of its shoddy construction. We can choose what method(s) we use to resolve attempt by the players to have their PCs reverse or overcome these sorts of adverse consequences. We're not obliged, just because we're RPGing, to treat capture and escape just the same as D&D did 40+ years ago.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Fun matters?
It's not an objective thing. It's entirely subjective. Something you find fun I might find tedious to the point of falling asleep. That's why you set expectations when you form a group.
I want them to have fun, and for losses and setbacks for them in the game not to suck too much time and joy out of the session?
Losses and setbacks aren't fun, so just remove them. Saves time and increases joy.

For me, I'm more interested in seeing what the players do. How they deal with losses and setbacks. That's the interesting part. If it takes the whole session for them to finally stop pounding their head against a brick wall, that's their choice to make, not mine. I set up the situations, it's up to the players to engage, ignore, or deal with them however they see fit. It's not my place to decide for them where they go, what they do, or how they handle obstacles.
We have a common scenario from fantasy and dramatic fiction. One that players can be expected to occasionally get into through their choices. One game makes playing that scenario out lengthy and un-fun, and makes subsequent game scenes more difficult and less fun to play out. A different game lets the scenario play out quickly and more enjoyably, and doesn't hinder following scenes the same way.
Again with the assumption that fun is somehow objective. It's still not.

Besides, it's the players' choice to pound their head against a wall. If that's what they find fun, or at least find more bearable than the alternative, it's up to them to choose. Because player agency matters. Like a lot. It's literally the only reason to have players at the table. Otherwise the referee can just write a story.
It seems to me like there's something to that second game. Maybe it would be a fun one to play, and does this particular thing better, even if I love the first game.
Sure. Lots of games out there. Knock yourself out.
I'm not sure that I grant your premise. I'm not sure they really WOULD rather waste hours in a losing fight, or would make that choice if they realized that's what it would entail. I think that situation sucks all around.
I've been doing this almost 40 years and I've never seen a group willingly get captured. I've seen a lot of referees try to force the issue and the resultant TPK pissed everyone off. Because most players would rather their characters die than lose agency.
I don't think it's giving up agency to non-lethally lose a fight or confrontation once in a while, if you CHOSE to get into that fight or confrontation, and either misjudged your opposition or rolled so badly that you lost.
Because you're the referee, not the player. You have an infinite supply of characters to play. In most games, your players will only have one at a time. If their one character loses agency...that player now doesn't get to play the game. Until you give them back control of their character. But, often, in capture scenarios referees will steal their agency...steal all their gear...then lock them in a cell. So they go from being powerful characters with agency...to weak characters with none. It's fine for you as the referee, because you haven't lost agency. Give that trick a try at a table with real players and see how it goes. Ask them what they think.
I certainly do try to avoid forcing any loss of agency. Part of honoring player agency is letting them get themselves into a bad situation and lose once in a while. If we can have non-TPK losses, that seems like an improvement to the game. More fun for everyone involved.
Sure. So don't take away their agency by capturing them. If they'd rather die than get captured, honor that. A TPK isn't a campaign killer. You just have to get creative. Resurrection. Animate Dead. Necromancers. Fighting your way out of hell.
I've certainly seen advice in OSR circles that you don't always have to kill the PCs- having bad guys take them prisoner can be fun. But D&D doesn't offer a lot of mechanical support for that.
Non-lethal damage has been clunky over the years, but it's almost always present. The part that's not supported is skipping over the fight and going straight to the capture. You could always ambush them in their sleep. Attack them in bed. Or any number of other nasty things. Might go over a bit better than an hours' long fight they can't hope to win. I doubt it very much though.
I'm not. I don't think I'm trying to replicate every aspect of stories either.

This particular example Campbell gave just happens to have struck on something which my decades of experience with D&D have shown to be a weakness of the system, and engaged my curiosity about how a different game might handle it better.
But that's the rub. RPGs are not fiction. They don't need to handle fictional situations that go against the basic premise of the game. I don't think it's a weakness in the system. I think it's a feature of players understanding what role-playing games are. These are games of power fantasy. An exercise in imagination and creativity and a chance to be cooler and more powerful than you are in the real world. Most times at least, some of us play horror games. This particular fictional situation is a denial of that. It stops the game from being what it is. It stops the players from getting to play their power fantasy. They'd rather go down swinging than give that up. That's a feature, not a bug.
But I would like my games to be better able to handle common fictional situations and interactions.
The secret is lighter rules and players who accept that. In a game like Fate you can just hand out fate points at the start and say, "you all wake up in a cell." The players still groan, but at least they get the fate point and you didn't waste their time with a fight. You could do the same with Inspiration in 5E, though players still being players are likely to be pissed.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
I think you might have lost track of who was saying what.

Lanefan was saying that if the referee leaves the game ceases to exist. I agreed with that.

Blue seems to think that the referee isn't that important and that if any one of the players leaves then the game ceases to exist. Likely he means "in the exact same way as it did before that player left". But left that part unsaid for some reason. But that's flat out not true.

If a player leaves, the band plays on. If the referee leaves, the game's over.

Players are not on par with referees in their importance to the continuation of the game. We really need to stop pretending they are. Without the one referee there's no game. Without 1-40 players there's no game. The referee to player population ratio is still something like 1:20 or higher. Which is why you have paid referees as a thing now. So many players desperate to play that they'll pay for the pleasure.
Not all games have a GM.

My daughter took over GMing my L5R campaign. Same players save two: her and I. Same characters, again, sans hers and plus mine. Same themes, same ongoing plots... Same campaign all around, and everyone at table agreed it was.

GM change doesn't axiomatically create a new campaign. If can, and often does... but there are lots of situations where the GM departing isn't an end.

My steady group of AL players finished Hoard under Spencer when I had to leave state. He kept the same core 6, and took over where I left off (and we consulted a bit about it). He continued certain thematic "leanings" I'd been using.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Hardly - it's the most clear and factual refutation to your absurd assertion that the GM is the sole element of game.

The other cases being examples of GM change also not doing what you claim.
In a conversation centered on two games / families of games that both / all use referees as the main driver of the games in question, it's irrelevant.

D&D, referee's clearly in charge.