D&D 5E The Gnelf Player Race for D&D 5e!!!

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
I was playing around with putting together a half-breed Gnome and Elvin race called the Gnelf. This is what I just put together. Take a look and show me where I went wrong or right.

The Gnelf

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity goes up by 2 and Intelligence by 1 or your Intelligence goes up by 2 and Dexterity goes up by 1.

Age. Most Gnelves are expected to settle down into an adult life by around age 70. They have a different preception of time that is similar to the Elven way. They can live to about 625 years.

Alignment. Gnelves are most often chaotic good, but some are chaotic neutral due to madness.

Size. Gnelves are between 4 feet and 4.5 feet tall and have slender builds. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. Accustomed to life underground, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Fey Ancestry. You have an advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Gnome Cunning. You have an advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.

Natural Illusionist. You know the minor illusion cantrip. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.

Cantrip. You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Elvin and Gnomish. The Gnomish language, which uses the Dwarvish script, is renowned for its technical treatises and its catalogs of knowledge about the natural world. You can speak, read, and write one extra language of your choice.

In my unfinished world Gnelves tend to live with Gnomes in secluded forests. There they look more like odd-looking, really tall Gnomes. Gnomish society accepts them as long lost brothers and part of their extended family. Elvin society, however, does not accept them in any way! Most Elves look at them like odd embarrassments. The original mating between a Gnome and an Elf involved a lot of Elvin wine.

Last edited:

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Ha! This reminds me of a Elfling race (half Elf, half Halfling) that I did many years ago. I might dust that off and update it for 5e. Why should Humans get all the half race fun! :)

I like what you did, but I would say they should choose between +2 Dex and +1 Int or +2 Int and +1 Dex, they shouldn't be able to get +3 Int.

I would also be very interested in the flavor text. I'm sure there are lots of story opportunities with this unusual mix. And what about the mix causes madness? Could be interesting.

Rafael Martin

Adventurer
Ha! This reminds me of a Elfling race (half Elf, half Halfling) that I did many years ago. I might dust that off and update it for 5e. Why should Humans get all the half race fun! :)

I like what you did, but I would say they should choose between +2 Dex and +1 Int or +2 Int and +1 Dex, they shouldn't be able to get +3 Int.

I would also be very interested in the flavor text. I'm sure there are lots of story opportunities with this unusual mix. And what about the mix causes madness? Could be interesting.
You are mixing a Gnome with an Elf. Both races tend to be chaotic anyway. Madness is sure to follow. I also made a change to their characteristics. Thanks for the advice! :)

Last edited:

1600772948388.png

Gnome: ''You said Netflix and chill!''

Remove ads