D&D 5E The Gods in your Pantheon, Where Do They Live?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I don't necessarily see gods as people that live in some physical space. That's how mortals may conceptualise them and that's even how they might manifest to the mortals if they wanted to make themselves more comprehensible, but that's not really what they are. They are cosmic forces that simply are part of the fabric of the reality.
My gods are like Immortals from Basic etc, less like cosmic forces and more like multitudes of ascended mortals scattered about the cosmos.

Except for Tiamat of course, she is primordial and eternal.

Mine live on the Wheel, but only in the transition realms between the alignments, so Pandemonium, Ysgard, the Beastlands, etc. The main alignment ones (Mt. Celestia, the 9 Hells, the Abyss, etc.) are to set in their ways for even a god to make changes in. Although gods like to brag about living with their petitioners, in fact, most of their minions are low level outsiders who are automatically transformed into whatever minions the god needs (of the same challenge level) when the outsider crosses into the gods' territory (unless another god has already changed the outsider), and they actively recruit mid to high level outsiders to be their servants (often involves a power up). The Outlands are different in that there are built in transition realms (the board towns).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The gods live in the same world as mortals but mortals only percieve the physicial surface of reality (3-d space) spirits/gods exist beyond the physical dimension and are encountered through psychic or spiritual perceptions.

you might see a forest, but there beyond your natural sight is the psychic manifestation of nature spirits and the spiritual reality of the forest god

Li Shenron

Legend
So I wanted to have my Pantheon live in places that the party could actually get to at various points in their journeys
Sure why not? I usually "don't worry until it happens" and typically leave deities largely mysterious and far from mortal standards. The example I often make at the table is that perhaps the goddess of war IS war, so she lives wherever a war is, and you can't just kill her unless you remove the idea of war from the universe. In addition deities may not be so separate from each other, where does a goddess of magic (Mystra) end and a god of spells (Azuth) begin?

But folks within the fantasy world need to humanize (or elfalize, dwarfalize...) deities and they are free to define separate religions for Mystra and Azuth. It's their problem if it doesn't match with a reality they can't understand.

Then when the adventure requires it, they can travel to Mystra place and meet her or even kill her, if it makes for a good story. They will probably never know what really happened though.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
There are 2 remaining deities in conflict with outer evil forces. I placed them in an inaccessible existence, their presence on the world was like a magnet attracting the cosmic entities so they “left”.

They have agent intermediaries which exist on the world that respond to believers’ petitions or prayers.

There are also minor cosmic entities who have broken through and exist on the world to corrupt it in each unique way. They also found ways to influence through mortals.

There are also mortals who have attained immense power such that they can share it with lesser mortals, many of these pretend to be gods. These ascended mortals sometimes conflict with each other, with the outer entities, and with the divine intermediaries.

My deities live in an undefined god realm where mere mortals could never survive, as the gods are very VERY alien.

On the other hand, there is a banished goddess who is the protector of sailors, who has her home in a pocket dimension at sea, on the material plane. It is called the Cathedral of Lights; a silent part of the ocean, full of shipwrecks underneath an eternal nightly star covered sky. Some souls of dead sailors still linger here, under the protection of The Lady of the Waves, who appears in the reflection of the water as a bright golden light.

Aldarc

Legend
In the one place that hasn’t been corrupted by capitalism. Space!
1642784568862.jpeg

Good luck.

Remove ads