D&D 5E The Hags of 5E

Stormonu

Legend
So, something that's been gnawing at the back of my mind for a while...it seems that every 5E adventure (since Curse of Strahd) in it has a named hag in it, which I find somewhat interesting. One or two, and I might not have noticed. But every adventure? Named threats? What's going on here?

Mad Maggie - Descent into Avernus
Granny Nightshade - Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Morgantha - Curse of Strahd
Maud Chiselbone - Rime of the Frostmaiden
Thuluna Maah - Princes of the Apocalypse
Nanny Pu'pu - Tomb of Annihilation
3 sea hags (unnamed!) - Dungeon of the Mad Mage
Wormriddle the Night Hag - Dungeon of the Mad Mage
Mother Lorinda - Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft

Are there more that I have missed?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Interesting! I wonder if it's purposeful, or if named Hags just make for great, scary NPC's.

Come to think of it, I've got a powerful hag named Granny O'gwa in my own game! All her daughters are various other types of hags, but all have different animal heads, and are all called Sister S___, with different animals starting with an S. So Sister Snake, Sister Spider, Sister Skink, Sister Salamander, Sister Stoat, etc.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
The name of a hag should strike fear and infuse mysticism into a party, but their abilities and combat stats rarely do. That's a pretty good list!

It's my experience by giving a name, the adventure is saying (1) this NPC is dangerous/special (2) this NPC is worth communicating with and (3) this NPC probably can lead to quests.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Or "Sora Riku"

...no, wait, the shippers have already done that one:

060918.jpg

Quickleaf

Legend
So, something that's been gnawing at the back of my mind for a while...it seems that every 5E adventure (since Curse of Strahd) in it has a named hag in it, which I find somewhat interesting. One or two, and I might not have noticed. But every adventure? Named threats? What's going on here?

Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden has Maud Chiselbone, a sea hag, and the night hag coven in the Necropolis of Ythryn including Auntie Pinch, Auntie Pillage, and Auntie Plunder.

Also in Tomb of Annihilation: The Sewn Sisters – 3 night hags named Widow Groat, Peggy Deadbells, and Baggy Nanna.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
The 3d12 name generator and the traits charts from the hag entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters work really well on short notice to give a fun evocative individual.

Candlekeep has lots of hags.
  • Dread Morgana
  • Vile Sazha
  • Auntie Greenbones
  • Lanedrie Staggersoul
There may be more.

And yes, I've noticed as well. Lots of hags lately. Then there's the whole hag race in Van Richten's Guide---the Hexblooded.

Last edited:

Lyxen

Great Old One

Also has Red Ruth in a very interesting environment (although I agree that Maggie's environment is absolutely brilliant).

There are actually 3 in the tomb itself, their coven is "the sewn sisters" and their names are Widow Groat, Peggy Deadbells and Baggy Nanna, and for me they have a very much "Witcher 3" feel.

Remove ads