Release The Halls of Arden Vul (Immense Megadungeon)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Can't wait (well actually, have to wait for next paycheck, but otherwise, CAN'T WAIT)!

Like others have said, I've already got Rappan Athuk; just backed Ptolus; and basically I am a sucker for every mega campaign/dungeon ever.

Who knows if I'll ever play it, but I like to read them.

Here's an interview from last year with the creator if you are interested in the sources and inspirations. (caveat, I am super biased, the creator Rick is my childhood buddy - we learned D&D together. I'm mentioned in the first paragraph buying the Monster Manual. Still have it on my shelf).

R_J_K75

Legend
Wow, looks awesome. 1120 pages is certainly a mega dungeon. If I read correctly on the DTRPG discussion page the hard copies are projected to be $175.00 USD? The maps look great too. I was checking them out and it looks like every location is numbered, does this mean every location is detailed or are spots left empty for the DM to fill in? I haven't run 1E/2E in years but price depending I might consider picking up Vol 1. Suppose 5E conversation wouldn't be too difficult.

Geleg

Villager
Unlike Undermountain, almost all the mapped locations are keyed! We have left room for expansion (if desired); a short part of the intro offers some tips on where/how one might expand.

Joe B will be able to answer the pricing question. I think you'll be able to buy the hard copies separately - either to test out the product with a single volume first, or to spread out the $ pain over several installments (either of which is completely understandable).

R_J_K75

Legend
Unlike Undermountain, almost all the mapped locations are keyed! We have left room for expansion (if desired); a short part of the intro offers some tips on where/how one might expand.

Joe B will be able to answer the pricing question. I think you'll be able to buy the hard copies separately - either to test out the product with a single volume first, or to spread out the $ pain over several installments (either of which is completely understandable).

I always thought that almost too much of Undermountain was left to the DM so I dont really consider it a mega dungeon. So I like that this is more complete. I also like that I can buy in volumes. If I buy 1 & 5 (for the maps) first out of the print run, it pretty much ensures that 2, 3 & 4 will be available later Id guess. Who is gonna buy an incomplete set? But stranger things have happened.

Geleg

Villager
I always thought that almost too much of Undermountain was left to the DM so I dont really consider it a mega dungeon. So I like that this is more complete. I also like that I can buy in volumes. If I buy 1 & 5 (for the maps) first out of the print run, it pretty much ensures that 2, 3 & 4 will be available later Id guess. Who is gonna buy an incomplete set? But stranger things have happened.
I had the same feeling wrt Undermountain. Still, I know plenty of others liked it for giving them room to do their own thing as DMs. Arden Vul, on the other hand, aims to be fully statted (even if we fully expect DMs to customize it to their own tastes).

R_J_K75

Legend
I had the same feeling wrt Undermountain. Still, I know plenty of others liked it for giving them room to do their own thing as DMs. Arden Vul, on the other hand, aims to be fully statted (even if we fully expect DMs to customize it to their own tastes).

I know that this has been commonplace since day 1 to leave a few empty rooms in a dungeon here and there but UM had too many throughout the detailed areas for my taste. Seems like you guys struck a good median here.

Geleg

Villager
I know that this has been commonplace since day 1 to leave a few empty rooms in a dungeon here and there but UM had too many throughout the detailed areas for my taste. Seems like you guys struck a good median here.
I also figured it would be easier for a DM to ignore stuff (that is, decide to make a filled room empty) than it would be to create new stuff on the fly. So, although I know that some designers like to adhere to a formula of X empty rooms per map (or whatever), I elected to fill most spaces while anticipating that DMs can ignore stuff they don't like. Of course that doesn't mean monsters in every room - plenty of places have no fighting (interesting puzzles, traps, dungeon decor, etc.). And certain areas are more likely to have 'emptier' areas than others: for ex., Level 3 (a primary entrance) has a lot of monster-less rooms in the immediate vicinity of the main entrance (for obvious reasons). The further one gets from traveled areas, the more critters ... I tried to give players something to do (fight, puzzle, ponder, wonder, etc.) in each area.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases