Release The Halls of Arden Vul (Immense Megadungeon)

R_J_K75

Legend
I elected to fill most spaces while anticipating that DMs can ignore stuff they don't like.

Seems a better option IMO. Like you said I can always ignore what I want but if I have to make up too much on the fly then I might as well just write my own adventure, which is what I don't want to do when I buy an adventure book.

Wow, looks awesome. 1120 pages is certainly a mega dungeon. If I read correctly on the DTRPG discussion page the hard copies are projected to be $175.00 USD? The maps look great too. I was checking them out and it looks like every location is numbered, does this mean every location is detailed or are spots left empty for the DM to fill in? I haven't run 1E/2E in years but price depending I might consider picking up Vol 1. Suppose 5E conversation wouldn't be too difficult.

The price point for the printed version is $55 per hardback book. So for all four books it comes in at $220. If you want to add in the physical map book (Volume 5) that increases the total cost to $275.

Those who purchase the complete PDF (the one I've linked to) can get a 50% off coupon for all the print books if they want (just email me at josephbrowning@gmail.com with your order number after you've bought the PDF) which reduces them down to $110 for 4 volumes or $137.5 for all 5 volumes.

Arden Vul is expensive, but IMO, is worth every penny. It really is an incredible thing.

joe b.

Last edited:

One of the organizational things we did with AV to make it as easy to use as possible was to tag important bits of information (NPCs, locations, and new material like monsters etc.) with an inline tag. Here's an example location showing two inline tags:

-----
3-85: Corpses and One-Way Door
The bodies of two adventurers and two ghouls lie moldering here. The adventurers (a thief and an illusionist) were the former companions of Susarra (3-83). The thief’s body still holds a short sword, leather armor, and a silver signet ring. Under the illusionist’s body lie a snapped wand and a fine but broken lute (the lute may be repaired by a master luthier for 150 gp; at that point it will be worth 350 gp to a bard or collector).

One-way Door: The corridor to the north leads to a one-way door into the catacombs (3-22). This door will close in 1 turn unless it is jammed open.

Treasure:
Silver signet ring (35 gp); short sword, leather armor; broken but reparable lute (up to 350 gp if fixed).
-----

In this sample (area 3-85 - level 3 area 85) you can see that Susarra's location is tagged (she's at 3-83) and the location of the catacombs is tagged as well (area 3-22). Were there a new monster or magic item in the location, they would be tagged with (see new monster) or (see new magic items) meaning that the GM just alphabetically looks them up in the appropriate appendix. In the PDF you can almost always instantly go to a location by doing a search for something like "3-83:" (make sure you use the colon) as that should take you to the entry and then do another search on the entry that led you there to go back.

joe b.

Geleg

Villager
Want to experience Arden Vul through the eyes of one of its survivors? One of my players (and a seasoned DM and published rpg author in his own right) has the following offer:

Probably the best way to do that is to run an online game via roll20/discord. If you bought Arden Vul and wondering when you'd get the chance to play it, this is it! If you're thinking about buying Arden Vul, but aren't sure yet -- come on by! Just want to play some 1e in a massive, well-developed mega dungeon -- feel free to join!

If you're curious what the Halls of Arden Vul are like, I can show you. Some might even survive.

Game details:
Date: April 5, 2020
Time: 0900 ET(1300 GMT) - I find this time usually works well for a lot of the Americas and Europe.
Duration: 3 hours unless we decide to go longer.
Level: 1 (no better place to start than the beginning)
Dice Rolling/Character sheet: Roll20 (https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/detail ... -arden-vul) - I only have the free account, so no fancy bells and whistles. We might not even use tokens or maps - that depends entirely on my free time between now and then.
Voice: Discord (Join the Project Possum Cat Discord Server!)

Some basic guidelines...
Rules: AD&D1e as re-envisioned through OSRIC
Classes/Races: Any in the OSRIC book except for Assassins. If you have something not in OSRIC that you want to play, we can work it out.
Alignment: Any neutral or good.
Character: Roll your own or pre-gens. Whichever you prefer. If you want to roll your own, let me know on Discord (cjbowser#8342) and I'll make a character sheet available to you in roll20.
Number of characters: 6 is probably a good number. If there's a lot of interest we can maybe do a couple more. But I can accommodate as many listeners/watchers that want to join in.

Why the restrictions? These are the exact same restrictions Geleg foisted upon us waaaay back in 2012. I want to keep it authentic.

If you're interested, PM me on that Discord server and I'll get you an invite to the roll20 game. Remember, that's even if you just want to watch.

Yenrak

Explorer
When is the print edition coming out? Just the thought of printing the pdf is making my printer angry at me. But I'm cooped up in the Land of Social Isolation and really would love to read this.

Geleg

Villager
When is the print edition coming out? Just the thought of printing the pdf is making my printer angry at me. But I'm cooped up in the Land of Social Isolation and really would love to read this.
Hey, Yenrak. On Tuesday Joe was saying 10 days or so. Very soon!

Here's some sample spreads....

Level 2 part 1.jpg
Level 3 part 1.jpg
Level 4 part 1.jpg
Level 7 part 1.jpg
Level 8 part 1.jpg
Level 10 part 1.jpg

der_kluge

Adventurer
Having suffered through 1st edition 30(?) years ago, I'm not interested in doing that again. I'm wondering how hard (and I realize this might be a generic question, as opposed to a question about this product) is it to convert this to 5e on the fly?

More on-topic, how much of this could I steal and use generically in my own stuff, without absorbing all the baggage that probably comes with all this. Any sense of that?

Remove ads