THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam's sense of danger is intense. He temporarily ignores Thallok's inquiries and listens closer to the "voice" and tries to understand what is being "said".

19 and 19

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tam, when you listen closely, you can hear something breathing! As you look closely at the golden fixtures, you notice they seem to have a slight shimmer to them...

Tam, make a Will save and let me know what DC you hit.
For easy reference, your Will save is 1d20+8.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen & Vale both trail the others down the corridor. Respen is concerned about getting caught in similar fashion as the others before. And Vale’s toe hurts. Respen helps him as quickly as possible down to the room as the others are investigating the obelisk. He looks about, trying to ascertain the runes, the layout of the room, and what is actually going on.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The text of this post was cut, and appended to the post below, to maintain continuity; Tam and I cross-posted, and I figured it would make more sense to have the post for Respen occur AFTER Tam's comment.

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
"Gentlemen. I can't put my finger on it but there ware voices and the sounds of breathing coming from this obelisk with the eyes."
Tam cautiously leans a little closer to try to hear the breathing again.
Nothing.

"No. I'm not hearing a thing, now. However, these runes...
I recognize them from somewhere, but they seem to be jumbled all around. It's all jibber-jabber. Hopefully, one of you will have better luck trying to figure it out."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Both obelisks (the black one, and the rune-covered one) radiate STRONG magic, not innately, but rather, they are enspelled somehow.

Spellcraft Check to know school: DC 18. Respen cannot fail this roll.

Both obelisks are cloaked in a powerful illusion spell of some sort. Your guess would be Major Image but you cannot be 100% certain about that.

You suspect that the illusions will disappear if touched, and that whatever the illusions are hiding, will be revealed at that point... which might not necessarily be a good thing.

You can also attempt to disbelieve the illusions (without touching them) by making a Will save.

Major Image
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: Concentration + 3 rounds

This spell functions like silent image, except that sound, smell, and thermal illusions are included in the spell effect. While concentrating, you can move the image within the range.

The image disappears when struck by an opponent unless you cause the illusion to react appropriately.

Silent Image
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: Visual figment that cannot extend beyond four 10-ft. cubes + one 10-ft. cube/level (S)
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you. The illusion does not create sound, smell, texture, or temperature. You can move the image within the limits of the size of the effect.
Focus

A bit of fleece.

Respen, you are still in the entryway with Dewydd and the others. Do you want to enter the room?

Obelisk Room 003.png

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen:
Wait!! They’re illusions. On or about the obelisks. Don’t touch just yet. I need to inspect them a moment further to see if I can figure out what they are.
After a moment, Respen’s brow furrows. Calmly, he says in Common,”Tam, Thallok, you need to trust me; move quickly toward me now! Hack at your feet with your weapons. And MOVE!!

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam looks at Respen like he'sout of his mind asking him to hack at his feet with his daggers that he still has in his hands...
"Hack at my What???"
But, Tam still moves away from the obelisk.

Remove ads