The Hunt

LostSoul

Adventurer
Watch this space for some resolution...

The way open, you walk forward carefully towards the flickering light. Dark tombs line the walls, tombs with arcane wards around them.

Silently you creep ahead, and you can hear the muttering of a blasphemous ritual being performed. The light grows, and casts a shadow of a tall, lanky figure engaged in some ritual that, if this were a just world, would have been lost in the depths of time.

You enter the crypt and see Shalmanisar in his true form - a tall, lean creature with a blank face. He is close to human, but wrong enough to be unsettling. Arrayed before him, on a sarcophagous of ancient iron, is a magic circle painted in blood, a bowl with a still-beating heart in it, and a brazier slowly cooking viscera.

Shalmanisar stops, stands, and turns to face you. The slit he has for a mouth seems to grow unnaturaly into a mockery of a smile.

"So, you've caught me. But it's too late. Kallista will wake. If you don't let me complete the ritual, she will be released on this world, free to do as she wishes. Do you want her crimes on your heads? If not, let me finish.

"But if blood is what you seek, I can repay you in kind."

His arm melts like wax, flesh dripping from bone. It grows into a long, serrated blade of bone with a razor's edge. His skeleton seems to rip through his skin, though he shows no sign of pain, and forms into plates of armour.

[sblock=Negotiating Success]Yeah, I really don't think the game would work if you changed the difficulty of the encounter either way. If you win the skill challenge, the next encounter should still be a fun one - which is to say, not too easy. If you win it by a little, that shouldn't change things.

It might work if I put another encounter in there, with a rest period in-between... though I'm not sure about that.

The best way to negotiate it would be to have it affect the story in some way - no mechanics, just changing the situation.

(The reason why I like degrees of success/failure, by the way, is because you end up with unexpected results. If resolution is binary, you don't get that dynamic, changing situation based on the role-play that you went through.)

I like to look at it like this: you guys got 100% of what you wanted; but Shalmanisar got 25% of what he wanted. He didn't just want to get away; he wanted to (slight spoilers)
bind a demon to his will.
What's 1/4 of that, in a way that will push the story along?

Another possibility is that (slight spoilers, again)
the demon wakes, but it's not terribly hostile to you off the bat, and Shalmanisar has no control over it. It won't wake until the combat is over, and it can be dealt with however you want. Maybe it would be cool if the demon felt like it owed you something.

Oh yeah, that encounter in Keep on the Shadowfell is crazy! I bought it last week; hopefully I'll get a chance to run it soon.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
[sblock=Crazy Stuff]OK. I didn't see that coming. I hadn't been reading any of your spoilers so far.

An encounter in the way would be interesting. Of course, if it's not that challenging (few healing surges) then it's sorta like free xp; which rewards failure.
I hadn't mentioned that, but it raises a new level of complexity if you're a really big dork and want to split hairs. Most people I know don't play that way but the completest in me feels obliged to mention it.

A standard demon is more likely to pretend it owes you and then eat you... but a devil might feel obliged in some way...

Of course, if it it's a result of failure then the demon should be bad, no?
So 0 failures = town saved, you're heroes!
1 failures = town saved, but there's a demon semi-unbound. People feel uneasy, ask you to leave early.
2 failures = you beat the monster but... the demon starts to corrupt people. Leave tonight or face the possibility of being attacked in your sleep
3 failures = you beat the badguy, but town badly damaged in eruption of hellfire, skill challenge to sneak out failure -> fight with enraged townsfolk

Just spitballing.

I have a test in about 24 hours and another one next week. So I'm going to be offline for most of the weekend.... :([/sblock]

LostSoul

Adventurer
Edited the post above.

[sblock]I should have said "devil" instead of demon. This is a tiefling tomb, after all.

I think we'll just go with the devil waking, and you can deal with that however you like. I could even see another skill challenge there - binding her or something.

I would be willing to run the combat, but I don't have the books (just Keep on the Shadowfell) so I'd have to adapt some other monster to work. Also, taking a cue from the KotS skill challenge on Wizards.com, you could put the devil back to sleep during the combat.

You guys don't have to fight here, though, if you don't want to. Shalmanisar doesn't want to fight you.[/sblock]

Graf

Explorer
Tira looks at the crafty creature.

Really? So I suppose we'll just let you call up something evil then and do what ever you like. Maybe kill some more innocent people?

She gives the abomination a charming smile before hitting it with her strongest blast.

[sblock=OOC]I think the odds of Tira backing down, beleiving the creature isn't lying and/or letting it go without a fight are zero.
She's from the "attack first, figure out tichy details later" school of thought.

I'm running KotS right now, and fairly confident that we could do something interesting. Mess around a bit and see if something interesting comes out.
I thought there was an ooze that splits in there somewhere but I can't find it now. (not that I want to fight two of him or anything...)

The only trick with ol' shally is that he's a bit unusual. Undead + shapechanger. Should I see if I can find some sort of "base" material to work with?[/sblock]

LostSoul

Adventurer
Crap, I've been pretty busy lately, too. I want to pick up the books and see if I can't build myself a little monster for you to fight!

Graf

Explorer
Would love to do that, been having a great time. But busy is busy...

[sblock=Did ja]See the email I sent?[/sblock]

Remove ads