The Hunt

LostSoul

Adventurer
Graf said:
The half-elf abruptly drops her typical facade of hostile reserve, as soon as the guard grants them entrance, she slips forward and she latches onto his arm.

What... sort of wounds?

"Strange ones. Like teeth or claw, but... not. Like he had some sort of claw the length of a sword, and used it with the precision of a butcher's knife. And - and he mutliated her body. He cut out her organs and stole off with them."

Graf said:
Glancing at her companions meaningfully she follows up with You've searched the entire town I presume, and found no-one no trace of this eladrin?

"It's strange. I've been hunting game and gnolls my whole life, and I've learned a thing or two about tracking prey. I picked up on his tracks, but in the middle of the street, they just stopped. Went nowhere. I figured it was some strange power of the fey."

Erias, you get the sense that he's trustworthy and telling you the truth. He feels as though he's out of his league, and that he's failed the people who depend on him. He's looking for help, though perhaps a little too proud to come out and ask for it.

No roll was needed for that information.

jelmore

First Post
Kathra walks up to Borden and puts her hand on his shoulder. "Then it is fortunate our paths crossed this day, for we are seeking a creature that can change its form, and sows confusion and distrust in its wake. He has already claimed the life of two of our friends, and my guess is your friend's daughter also fell victim."

"We... I... have sworn to bring this creature to justice" -- at this, Kathra's hand moved to rest on the head of her warhammer -- "so any information you can give will serve us both well. Is there anyone else who might have seen this stranger? Who was the last person to see the woman alive?"

Storminator

First Post
Erais nods at Kathra's words. "We have lost comrades to this shapeshifter. Since he... it... seeks to sow distrust, remember my very first word to you. It will be our sign that I can trust you. I would not be fooled again, should this creature attempt to replace an honest man. In a dangerous moment you will know me... I shall refer to myself as a follower of... what you called Lord Amaunator. "

PS

LostSoul

Adventurer
"I am grateful for your help, strangers," he says, the suspicion not totally gone from his voice. "These are dark times, and we all have to stick together.

"The last person who saw Connie was her ma. I can take her to you. She's at our inn, the Tiefling's Mask. I'm not sure what else I can tell you about this stranger that might help."

You'll need to make some kind of skill check to get more helpful information, either from him or other people in town.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Storminator said:
Erais nods at Kathra's words. "We have lost comrades to this shapeshifter. Since he... it... seeks to sow distrust, remember my very first word to you. It will be our sign that I can trust you. I would not be fooled again, should this creature attempt to replace an honest man. In a dangerous moment you will know me... I shall refer to myself as a follower of... what you called Lord Amaunator. "

Borden nods. "Good idea. A code word."

jelmore

First Post

Bah. I picked the character with noooo social skills at all and a Charisma penalty, so I'm hoping that Streetwise works similar to Gather Information or Knowledge (local)...

Kathra begins to unwind mentally as the village moves into the town proper. After dodging armed packs of gnolls and scraping for food from the countryside for over a week, even this small pocket of civilization holds the promise of being able to relax.

She spies a small shop selling sweetmeats, and decides to indulge herself; it would also give her the opportunity to ask some discreet questions without coming across as too abrasive. Corrin used to tease her -- only rarely -- about learning to socialize more around non-dwarves.

Kathra picks up a couple of spicy-smelling breads and holds them up to the grocer, then fishes a few coins out of her pouch. "I hear there's been some trouble in town recently. Someone was killed? Do they know who did it?"

And a die roll of 8 + 4 equals 12.

Graf

Explorer
Tira smiles. She's going to enjoy this code word.

Clamping her hand firmly on Erias' elbow she gives Borden her most convincing look.

In fact, it is quite convenient that Lord Erias here has been working so hard on a new, powerful magical ritual that will allow him to track this creature.
We'll need to start at your temple of course.

She attempts to guide Erias off toward the center of town. After a half step she pauses...

Of course, we'll have to go around town making preparations, it may be a bit visible. I'm sure you can inform any concerned townspeople that the troubles will be over by dusk.

Any attempts by Erias to avoid not-being-led-away will involve Tira digging her fingers into his elbow and hissing Let us not tarry, your worshipfulness, the people of this town require the aid of your mighty deity.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Graf said:
In fact, it is quite convenient that Lord Erias here has been working so hard on a new, powerful magical ritual that will allow him to track this creature.
We'll need to start at your temple of course.

"Of course", Borden says. "If the priests of Erathis give you any trouble, let me know. I'll have a word with them."

Graf said:
She attempts to guide Erias off toward the center of town. After a half step she pauses...

Of course, we'll have to go around town making preparations, it may be a bit visible. I'm sure you can inform any concerned townspeople that the troubles will be over by dusk.

"I'll let the people know that you're here with my blessing. Good luck! Together, we can catch this thing and bring him to justice."

LostSoul

Adventurer
I've been thinking about how to handle this - I wanted the other players to make at least one roll before anyone made two, but I don't want your actions in-between to be pointless!

So I'm going to rule this: this is going to be a "linked test"; success or failure on this check is not going to add to the resolution in the skill challenge (that is, the success or failure totals), but it will influence other rolls. Think of it like an Aid Another action with consequences for failure.

I realize this means that you can really game the challenge; all I can ask is that you don't. I'll have to step up things, apply some pressure, move the conflict along.

I wouldn't do this in a face-to-face game, I'd just say "Wait, let the other guys go first," but I realize PbP is different.

jelmore said:
Kathra picks up a couple of spicy-smelling breads and holds them up to the grocer, then fishes a few coins out of her pouch. "I hear there's been some trouble in town recently. Someone was killed? Do they know who did it?"

"The innkeeper's daughter was killed by a stranger," the grocer says. "Borden hasn't found him yet, else his body'd be hanging there." He points to a dead, white, wizened tree on top of the hill.

[sblock=More OOC knowledge, feel free to read if it doesn't bother you]From one of the windows, a pair of eyes watches Kathra and the others come into town. Bony fingers tighten around a heavy leather bag. "They've come, sooner than I expected. I must get below and find the tomb. Then, then they will regret coming after me."

The consequences of failure: Shalmanisar knows you're after him now, and he's moving; the next roll where this applies will have the DC raised by 2.[/sblock]

jelmore

First Post
OK, I can slow down on the die rolling. I'm new to the play-by-forum format, so just let me know if I'm getting ahead of myself.

Kathra nodded. "True enough. I'm sorry for your troubles; perhaps you'll get see justice done before too long."

She headed back to the rest of the Group; Erias was scowling and Tira had that look on her face, which meant she was probably giving the sun cleric a not-wholly-undeserved ribbing.

Remove ads