The Hunted (DM: IronSky, Judge: ???)

jkason

First Post
Devinihm, wilden druid

The swarm surges forward again, using the distraction of the burning relic to catch up to the leaping demon and bring it down. He glances back to the rift, but can't make out anything distinctive behind the darkened veil.

"Earth and I will take the demonlings," he calls out. "You who know magics must darken the red lights."

[sblock=actions]Minor: Perception check, fail

Perception (1d20+10=22)

Charge to F5, Savage Rend:

Charging Savage Rend vs. Demonling 19 Reflex (1d20+8=21)[/sblock]

[sblock=resources used]Action Point, Wrath of the Destroyer, Summon Giant Toad, Call Forth the Spirit Pack
Healing surges remaining: 4/11[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"C'mon Mab, come here, let's do this fast!"

Old woman moves surprisingly fast getting to Illarion just as he moves toward the light.
Huffing and puffing, she still feels her way through abyssal magics.
"You really shouldn't make an old woman exert herself so. Here Tristram will help you with the next one."

She lends a hand, altough it seems 'blind elf' is feeling his way through just fine. Another red sphere dissapears in multicolored sparks.

[sblock=Actions]
Mab runs to L18
Illarion moves to M18
Standard: Mabs aid another; Illarions arcana (base) (1d20+8=22, 1d20+5=21)

Mab's minor: sustain the hand
Illarion's minor: take Tristram
[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
The Final Chamber, Round 12

Earth smashes the last demonling as Raijin rises to his feet, quickly takes in the situation and runs over to the last sphere, disabling it with a burst of magical energies.

[sblock=PC's actions]Earth
Move
: Move to L8.
Standard: Strength of Stone: 1d20+12=20 AC vs Demonling, hit, dead, Earth gains 6 THP.
Minor: -

Raijin
Move: Stand.
Stanrdard->Move: Run to V9.
Minor: Arcana check to disable sphere: 1d20+7=24, success, disabled.[/sblock]

The ground heaves as the shape beyond the void begins to become visible, a massive clawed finger piercing up through the portal. So massive is the finger, it barely fits through, puncturing the veil between the planes the a ripple that shatters stone, breaks metal, and sends waves of vertigo washing through everyone in the room.

As the colossal claw disappears back into the other realm, the demons rush towards the world with murderous glee, scrambling over each other like horrific ants.

Mab, Illarion, and Raijin stagger to the spheres, the stairs creaking and cracking beneath their feet. With a wash of magical energy, they break the ritual holding open the void and the demons cries of glee rapidly become shrieks of anguished rage as they see their chance to wreak havoc on the world they so hate literally disappear before their eyes.

A moment later and the void is just an empty stone pit, the only evidence of the battle being the demon bodies lying scattered about the room in heaps and the blackened, charred places where magics of all types were unleashed. As the group examine their wounds, they find they all have some black, twisted scars somewhere on their bodies, where abyssal magics left permanent marks - a legacy of the group's struggle to get tot his point.

The murderers finally caught and killed, the last of the demon rifts closed, and a grueling week of investigations, battles, voyages, treks through the jungle, and the final battles with the demons is over.

All that is left is to rest up and get back out of the temple... of course, there might be some valuable gear on the bodies of the fallen explorers who came to this forbidden temple before and died in its many traps.

There are also relics of almost unimaginable value scattered all across the room and more littering the passageways and side-rooms the party came through on their way here...

GM: Short rest and healing before we continue on. You'll have a chance to search for treasure - though there are many traps that you'd have to risk - or just head home and pick up what you can along the way.

There is, of course, the option of just gathering up a couple armloads of relics, should you wish.

If [MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION] isn't back by the time we get going again (tomorrow or the day after, depending on when the majority have spent your surges for resting), his character will join Xander making his way back to the ship alone (I.E. leave the adventure).

[sblock=Final Status]Earth: 34 damage taken
Mab: 32 damage taken
Raijin: 32 damage taken
Illarion: 10 damage taken
Devinihm: 30 damage taken

Silver Demons destroyed: 1

Voidwalkers destroyed: 1

Hunter Demonlings destroyed: 21

Red Spheres disabled: 4[/sblock]

Neurotic

OOC: Did silver demon dissapear/turned to goo when killed or there are physical remains? Also, I vote for the treasure hunt, between me and Mab we can disable most traps I believe.

"We should bring some proof of the killer to that bi**h liutenant. What do you think, would natives leave the island or lay claim on the relics? What are they anyhow?"

Illarion focuses his senses to magical emanations of the temple.

OOC: Feel free to aid everyone :D
OOC2: will spend 1 surge and remain 2hp short of full unless somebody's has and is willing to borrow belt of vitality :)

jkason

First Post
Devinihm, wilden druid

OOC: Did silver demon dissapear/turned to goo when killed or there are physical remains? Also, I vote for the treasure hunt, between me and Mab we can disable most traps I believe.

"We should bring some proof of the killer to that bi**h liutenant. What do you think, would natives leave the island or lay claim on the relics? What are they anyhow?"

Devinihm's swarm mills about itself briefly, insects scuttling over one another as they seem to multiply at an unnatural rate. Before there's any cause for concern, however, the druid returns to his wilden form.

"Proof would be good," the wilden agrees. "But Auntiemab said the relics hold the wall closed," Devinihm says. "Dartanian's group only took one and there was nearly an army. We should leave them; return them to their proper places if we can find them."

OOC: 3 surges to heal fully, and Devinihm's down to 1 surge left.

[sblock=resources used]Action Point, Summon Giant Toad
Healing surges remaining: 1/11[/sblock]

johnmeier1

Explorer
The relics should remain here, I believe the natives to this island will respect the temple and it's sanctity. There are also the many traps. Raijin sits down to rest for a while.

OOC: 2 surges to go up to 30/42 hp.
Leaving me with 1 surge :p I am trap averse, but go ahead :)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Earth sits silently surveying the carnage briefly, then without a word, walks back towards the ship.

The group finds a lucky break, on one of the hallways the group has already come through is a dead adventurer with:

*920gp
*A huge pearl worth 300gp
*A +2 distance dagger Mab

Scouting around, there seem to be three hallways with dead explorers in them - with loot that's surely safe to take.

The simple way is just a short hallway with a skeleton impaled on spikes at the end. There are some ancient, rusted away spears jutting from the wall and scorch marks here and there and there are probably more traps that weren't set off.

Another way has several short pits that have already been sprung, an area with faintly glimmering magical wards, and a section open to the sky with dangling vines hanging down. At the far side is a small room carved with sigils of snakes and littered with relics is a pile of leather, metal, and bone at the end the remains of what was probably a small group of explorers.

The final way is a large room with pillars over a spiked pit, tripwires, a section that seems to be only reached by climbing, and finally, a pedestal with dozens of relics on it and a mass of skeletons still locked in the positions where they died, apparently all killing each other.

GM: The silver demon's body is still there, the all three of the voidwalkers' are just empty cloth and metal.

@Neurotic , just noticed that you never applied your shimmering cloth armor to Illarion. He should have +1 AC(15) and not take OAs for ranged and area attacks.

Earth has left the adventure.

[sblock=Traps]The group now has a chance to do some looting.

You may eventually try all of the areas below, but pick one at at time to work on.

You can aid another. Anyone who makes a roll in the challenge (normal or aid-another) will be at risk if the total failure trap is set off.

On total failure, the trap is failed and must be retried.

Simple
Required Rolls: 1 Perception, 1 Arcana, 2 Thievery checks: DC 20
Success: 4 successes before 3 failures.
Failure: Each failure sets off a trap that only affects the individual rolling(and any players aiding that person): +8 vs Reflex, 1d10+5 damage.
Total Failure: If 3 failures, everyone participating is caught in a trap: +8 vs Reflex, 3d10+4 damage, 1/2 damage on a miss.
Reward: 1d3 Level 4 loot parcels.

Moderate
Required Rolls
: 1 Perception, 1 Athletics, 1 Nature, 1 Arcana, 2 Thievery checks: DC 20
Success: 6 successes before 3 failures.
Failure: Each failure sets off a trap that only affects the individual rolling(and any players aiding that person): +9 vs Fortitude, 1d8+7 damage.
Total Failure: If 3 failures, everyone participating is caught in a trap: +9 vs Fortitude, 4d8+3 poison damage, 1/2 damage on a miss.
Reward: 1d6 Level 4 loot parcels.

Complex
Required Rolls: 1 Perception, 2 Athletics, 1 Acrobatics, 2 Arcana, 2 Thievery checks: DC 20
Success: 8 successes before 3 failures.
Failure: Each failure sets off a trap that only affects the individual rolling(and any players aiding that person): +10 vs Will, 2d6+4 damage.
Total Failure: If 3 failures, everyone participating is caught in a trap: +10 vs Will, 5d6+5 psychic damage, 1/2 damage on a miss.
Reward: 2d6 Level 4 loot parcels.[/sblock]

Neurotic

[MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION]
check this pic of Earth - it's around the middle, you'll know when you see it :D

[sblock=Traps tactics]
There are only four of us now, right? So we could go for 1d6 parcels and have good chance of getting 1 each since we're without healer, I'd not risk big damage from difficult one. Although it's psychic and Illarion has resist 5...

How are we with the skills? Illarion would aid only with Acrobatics and Thievery.
Acrobatics +4
Arcana +5
Athletics +1
Nature +1
Perception +1
Thievery +7

Complex:
round 1: raijin, Illarion aid Arcana; Mab roll Arcana; Devinihm aids acrobatics (if possible for the next turn) else roll Perception
round 2: raijin, Illarion aid Arcana; Mab roll Arcana; Devinihm roll Perception
round 2: Raijin or Devinihm aid and roll athletics; Illarion aids thievery; Mab rolls thievery
round 3: Raijin or Devinihm aid and roll athletics; Illarion aids thievery; Mab rolls thievery
round 4: Illarion aid acrobatics, Mab rolls;
round 5 and 6: whatever we didn't succeed

Problem as I see it: Mab has little or no surges and without rest we've risking she falls before we do anything.

With moderate we have better chance if for nothing else then for Nature being highest druids skill and we can aid perception and we could get easy and moderate together.
[/sblock]

"We could at least try to get something out of this. When we rest, we can then look for ways to restore relics, hunt down that demonling that escaped, return the relic and finally reset some traps. To do that we need to study the traps to know how to reset them. I'd avoid magical ones, if we trigger them, we have no way of reseting them."

OOC: Thanks for the reminder, Iron Sky. Will do.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Devinihm, wilden druid

[sblock=tactics]
There are only four of us now, right? So we could go for 1d6 parcels and have good chance of getting 1 each since we're without healer, I'd not risk big damage from difficult one. Although it's psychic and Illarion has resist 5...

Devinihm's likely to be most helpful for the mid-grade trap:

Acrobatics +2
Arcana +1
Athletics +6
Nature +12
Perception +10
Thievery +2

He's got pretty good odds on two of the 6 checks (perception and Nature), and Mab has two others pretty solidly (three with the Arcana aid Illarion and Raijin could provide), which leaves the Athletics check as the biggest risk.

IronSky said that choosing one doesn't eliminate the other two, so perhaps we should start with the moderate test (or the simple one, since we're pretty solid on all the checks in that lot), and leave the big one for after we see how we do?

FYI, Devinihm's down to his last surge, as well, and I gather we can't take an extended rest inside the temple due to its trap dangers, so that's another reason we may want to forego the riskiest one.[/sblock]

"The runner returned to attack me, I believe," Devinihm says of the demonlings. "But if we leave the relics and only take from the fallen who sought to steal from this place, I believe we would do no more harm to the wall between worlds."

Remove ads