• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The impending mess that will be backwards compatibility

JohnSnow

Hero
It's not really all that perfectly balanced now.

I mean, you CAN do it. Does that mean you should? That's the call of the DM and group.
^^^This. Right here.

People kvetching about perfect balance need to realize that it's a total illusion (fantasy) and doesn't exist. The new 2024 PHB won't make the game any less balanced than it already is.

But of course, nobody is going to believe this is true until the book comes out.

mamba

Legend
It's stated you can, at least for 1D&D Classes using older subclasses.
yes, and I’d rather not have compatibility for that, as it restricts the 1DD design more than I would like, that was my point

Hard to tell tho because the side I was replying to deleted their posts and now what I was quoting is gone ;)

Remathilis

Legend
I expect this to happen here as well, this is why I find the mix class/subclass ‘requirement’ a bit baffling, but then maybe those who claim this is the goal are wrong. The latest news do not sound like that is the goal to me

does not sound like the idea is to use Tasha with the 1DD PHB
I mean, they want you to for now. Eventually, they will release Elminster's Guide to Everything not in the PHB, but for now they want you to know you can still use Tasha and Xanathar with your 2024 PHB (please buy the gift set).

I suspected that if WOTC didn't drop the backwards compatibility shtick that they were going to end up causing a huge problem, and we learned today they chose to double down on it.

The game already struggles with class disparities, and now they're definitively giving people the ability to assert they be able to use the, likely to be, overpowered versions of the classes that won't be seeing any changes.

So unless OneDND as a whole ends up upscaling the power of everything across the board so that nobody wants to use 2014 (not good either), then its going to be a mess for DMs to deal with.
No, it is pretty easy so far. We have combined PHB classes with playtest classes so far and it has worked great.

I guess I should clarify I am not the DM, but he has previously said he hasn’t really noticed a difference

Remove ads