• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The impending mess that will be backwards compatibility

Says who?

You could play a 2e ranger at a 1e table.
That reminds me of one time I played in a 1e game and turned up with my 2e players handbook.

The DM wouldn't even let my (pre-generated, by the DM) wizard use the 2e version of Protection from Evil. I'd assumed he'd given the character that spell as a defence against the mind control powers of the vampire we were opposing; I guess he must have liked the idea of +2 to AC.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Listen to the wise Alaundo: 3.0 classes where BC with 3.5 but you know what? Everyone just used the new version of the classes. Same will happen here. Adding EVERYTHING into the mix just bogs things down and makes things more difficult for not only the other players but especially the DM.

You guys can poopoo on that all you want but some of us have been around the edition changing game for years/decades and with other systems.

I mean run your home game as you wish. Toss in everything from 1E to 5E. I'm just saying it will require extra effort especially on the DM and as a DM of over 20 years, I like less problems not more. I already have enough to deal with to make sure EVERYONE is having fun, even me.

mamba

Legend
But they can do it so much better without a millstone around their necks.
I don’t know, for the tweaks you mentioned I don’t see it making much of a difference.

Apart from that I agree, if they wanted more sweeping changes breaking compatibility is almost unavoidable and I too feel that it restricts them a little too much, or rather that they supposedly chose a level of compatibility that does (mix 5e subclasses with 1DD classes and vice versa). I would treat them as wholly independent and only look for balance when it comes to adventures / classes across 5e and 1DD

mamba

Legend
Listen to the wise Alaundo: 3.0 classes where BC with 3.5 but you know what? Everyone just used the new version of the classes
I expect this to happen here as well, this is why I find the mix class/subclass ‘requirement’ a bit baffling, but then maybe those who claim this is the goal are wrong. The latest news do not sound like that is the goal to me

Tasha's and Xanathar's Guide will get a special process. Anything in those books have always had the option to graduate to a core book. When that happens, down the road, we'll combine the leftover material from Tasha's and Xanathar's and add new content.
does not sound like the idea is to use Tasha with the 1DD PHB

THANK GOODNESS that we can still use Half-Elves and Half-Orces. sits down and sips tea while kicking the door to violently smash into the face of the first nay-sayer to go "well actually you-

Yes. Yes indeed. smiles contently while looking at the audience.
yeah I am going to walk into every game with a half elf with +2 cha +1 to two other stats and see what they tell me... make it a half high elf to get that cantrip...

Remove ads