D&D 4E The Intelligent Fighter , Thibault's Circle / La Destreza.

Tony Vargas

Legend
With the Artificer coming soon, Int is getting stronger.
The Artificer came out in 2009. INT is fine, it adds to solid skills, and to AC/REF. DEX edges it out, though, so there's not much impetus to invest in it /unless/ you get some secondary-stat benefits, like the Warlord does. It'd be a matter of throwing some of those to the Fighter, which'd probably mean alternate class features, the way it can swap from WIS secondary to DEX secondary, for instance.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The Artificer came out in 2009. INT is fine, it adds to solid skills, and to AC/REF. DEX edges it out, though, so there's not much impetus to invest in it /unless/ you get some secondary-stat benefits, like the Warlord does. It'd be a matter of throwing some of those to the Fighter, which'd probably mean alternate class features, the way it can swap from WIS secondary to DEX secondary, for instance.
He is referring to 5e

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am working on the flavors of this do I call it "Student of Martial Ways" or "Educated Fighter" or "Science of the Swordsman" or "Thibaults Science", I am leaning towards the first two.

There is also whether to split this into 2 feats effect one for encounters like I have described with an at-will inspired strike gained as described above and one which governs dailies.

The second adds an encounter power that is highly restricted in function like inspired strike is except enabling a daily you arent currently focusing on this fight.

AND for more confusing terminology but which is better flavor you do not prepare exploits I have been writing this as focus on them ... Help I am way over using that term. See also using focus as the term used for martial techniques to ummm equip them (only some of them require it)... and the use of Martial Focus as how many requiring focus you can equip.

D&D does have a history and almost a tradition of using "level" that way
Going with "Educated Fighter" for the feat name
I am thinking to not separate into 2 feats ... the one feat will only provide the one at-will (not replacing your at-wills since it has a feat cost and a repertoire including dailies and encounter powers... shame on me for not including utilities but they seem like something different - argue me out of it if you like.

But this broad use of the word focus almost makes sense, honest it does.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Thought I would share what it currently looks like in builder
1570540974821.png

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In 4e, it'd've been a simple matter of feats and/or a feature to switch the WIS bonus to OAs and the DEX references of many powers over to INT.
OK coming back to this reference.

I am looking at higher level powers and while I didnt like the Swap outs for lower ones as they assumed two weapons in many cases.... I am seeing others with Dex sub elements that do not assume that additionally many of them have names that would be fine for the Intelligence variant.

I could go through them and add Dex references actually without it being over disruptive honestly or make it a class feature that fighter powers using dex can be replaced with quick thinking and predictive application of intelligence.

Either way since Thibaults is both a duo weapon and the one hand weapon possibility... that might be good to do accross the board.

You want INT as a better combat ability? Maybe someone needs to just invent a ritual which grants an INT-based bonus to attacks or defenses. It would be somewhat expensive and work for one fight, but you'd have to cast it ahead of time (say it has a 4 hour casting time). This would provide a nice strategic thinker kind if option, and it would fit well with a fighter, warlord, etc. Make it somehow enhance a fighter's class features (like CC for example) and that would make it much more fighter-specific.
There are other things you can do once you have a good INT, like Wizard Apprentice Theme (a very nice one) etc. Not going to be the most stupid optimized thing ever, but your smart fighter is not gimpy.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You want INT as a better combat ability? Maybe someone needs to just invent a ritual which grants an INT-based bonus to attacks or defenses. It would be somewhat expensive and work for one fight, but you'd have to cast it ahead of time (say it has a 4 hour casting time). This would provide a nice strategic thinker kind if option, and it would fit well with a fighter, warlord, etc. Make it somehow enhance a fighter's class features (like CC for example) and that would make it much more fighter-specific.
There are other things you can do once you have a good INT, like Wizard Apprentice Theme (a very nice one) etc. Not going to be the most stupid optimized thing ever, but your smart fighter is not gimpy.
Reminds me of the hunters mind thing which I am making into a practice .... It was in a novel I read a while back where the character went into a trance state, which while it was going his perception was off grid no impairment due to foliage nothing, no range penalties nothing .... one duration limit is make a discipline check to hold the mind state... or spend a healing surge if that check fails.generally the check might be called for by you take damage or try to do something unrelated to the hunt.

Last edited:

Remove ads