• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Invasion of Mori OOC [3.5][planar][PAUSED]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Well as you likely know, I'm a tiefling dervish. Basically what I did in this first round of combat is pretty much my schtick. To be honest, I'm still not certain who is ACTUALLY still playing in this game.

moritheil

First Post
Well, every character dies to a bad roll sooner or later. It just happened to be sooner in this case. :\ I honestly don't think anything was really wrong with Silhouette in terms of combat capacity, but I certainly understand your desire to build a sturdier character.

One thing that I note is that we don't really seem to have many divine casters. It's something the party has always lacked.

Current Invasion Active Roster:
Drax (mage), Snargle (front line), Kelteror (front line/trapfinder), Kaelvorr (mage), Vedak (mage), Rose (front line)

NPCs: Roillard, veiled diplomat, kaorti warriors and marshals, cultists

Incoming: TTC's construct monk, LR's warlock.

PS: I don't think items should work while within items; that gets strangely recursive.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
hmmmm

I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes, because it doesn't feel like that to me...but I may just withdraw. I've never really been "good" at being "bad." It was kind of an experiment from the start, to see if I'd like it. I normally play heroic games...and I find myself preferring that sort. Not to mention I'm kind of out of ideas...plenty of tanks and mages already, and I'm just not that interested in a divine caster, especially an evil one.

I'll give it a little time, just to make sure I'm not just discouraged. :)

moritheil

First Post
I understand. I think this one really was just bad luck. Loriel was low on HD so her death was in some ways foreseeable, but Silhouette doesn't strike me as being a bad build.

Also, most fights obviously will not have death gaze attacks. :p

Voidrazor

First Post
Shayuri - For a truly robust character, theres nothing like starting with a concept that is, itself, optimized. I don't know if you're familiar familiar with the psionics rules, but they really only take a few minutes to learn. If Moritheil will allow WotC web content, I would suggest playing a CN Erudite 7 / Subverted Psion 7. Feats should probably include Overchannel, Lunatic Insight (Heroes of Horror), Fiendish Heritage (from Complete Mage to meet the campaign background requirements), and (from Complete Psionic) Enhanced Elan Resistance and Resilience. You'd have the pick of a wide range of potent and versatile ablilities, including Metamorphosis into, say, a 12 headed hydra for melee combat, as well as great saves (including a re-roll from Second Chance), and before manifesting any powers be able to soak up well over 1000 HPs of damage. All this, and the flavor would be 'crazy from exposure to horrible evil' rather than just plain horribly evil.

Oh and without web content, a Psion (Egotist, Seer, or Telepath) 14 or Psion/Slayer or Thrallherd would be nearly as strong.

moritheil

First Post
Those look pretty neat. I'm a little uncertain about the taint score mechanics.

Oh, and while we're looking at web classes, this is pretty neat too.

moritheil

First Post
Shayuri -

While we're on the topic of builds, I should mention one thing. Silhouette didn't use the 1-level dip in Mindbender that is practically de rigeur for beguilers. It delays an Advanced Learning slot (meaning you can use it for a higher level spell) while granting telepathy and better saves. I don't recall if we discussed that option and dismissed it because you wanted to get the beguiler stuff earlier.

Do you dislike the concept or the mechanics of divine casters? I was thinking a trickster cleric might be interesting, but if you really don't like them, of course I won't push. ;)

After thinking about the campaign, it seems that the consequences for being low in social skills are not nearly as dire as the consequences for being low in survivability. This seems . . . unmeet.

Lord Raven -

Please paste your current character into your RG slot. I'm thinking you'll be a ghost who died in that very room. Is that acceptable? Perhaps you infiltrated a team of do-gooders who sought to attack the kobold base months ago . . . let me know if you have a better way to work yourself in.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I didn't want to sacrifice two caster levels, as I recall. Tieflings are already behind a level. Losing another one just for some skill bonuses (which are hardly needed) and telepathy...eh. Didn't seem wise.

And the funny thing is that I thought +11 Fort save was pretty good for an arcane caster at level 13. I guess I just figured I'd normally get some warning before getting pegged by death effects, so I could use my scoll of Death Ward. In fact, even this time I figured someone might shout a warning before Sil got in range of the gaze attack (which are normally pretty short ranged). But...I wasn't thinking evil. :)

As for divine caster, for some reason I never got the hang of clerics. Druids, I like. But even evil druids (in my brain) would oppose an invasion by the Abyss, so... Hee hee. It's funny, all the little straitjackets we place on ourselves.

Voidrazor, thanks for the ideas. I don't think I'm interested in 'taint' classes, but a psion could be useful. I'll think on it and see if a concept springs out at me.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
moritheil said:
Lord Raven -

Please paste your current character into your RG slot. I'm thinking you'll be a ghost who died in that very room. Is that acceptable? Perhaps you infiltrated a team of do-gooders who sought to attack the kobold base months ago . . . let me know if you have a better way to work yourself in.
I was thinking that the BBEG has been calling in favours to assist his invasion of Mori. As such Zaestilan has been ordered by Vecna to aid this lord in whatever capacity possible.

Due to the recent attrition among the group he was sent to bolster their forces. As such Zaestilan went thru the portal to Mori, spoke to the cultist to find out where the group is, turning Ethereal he followed the directions and then followed the trail of bodies to the groups current location.

So he can appear at anytime that you desire.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads