Planescape The Kolyarut has an automatic hit attack.

Isn’t it the opposite? This creature is unique enough that regular tactics won’t work, forcing players to come up with something different.
Maybe. I think it depends on the players. Some will certainly try to come up with new tactics. Others will simple look at the first round and say "It deals X damage each round regardless, so we will kill it in Y rounds or we won't be able to so we need to flee."

I've got players who can and will do that math instinctively within seconds of the results of the first round. And they will resolve the rest of the encounter in their heads less than a minute later. For my players, no randomness means the results of the encounter are known at the end of round 1. Might as well call it then. Not fun for us.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I was surprised the Scions in that book didn't have legendary actions. I also noted the same thing with the recent Monstrous Compendium - Eldraine Creatures. It seems legendary actions have been replaced with multiple reactions like:

View attachment 298580

I hope this is in addition too Legendary actions and not a 100% replacement. I have a feeling that Legendary Actions may be going away.

However, I don't think the absence of Legendary Actions makes the addition of bonus actions and reactions in Bigby's "even." They are adding them to all sorts of monsters that are not "legendary"
two things...

Interesting observaton.

Tell me about the Eldraine pack.

dave2008

Legend
Tell me about the Eldraine pack.
It is a DnD Beyond only product of monsters for the MtG Eldraine setting. What would you like to know?
Here is the list of creatures:

Eldraine Creatures​

The monsters are in general pretty good. I like the High Fae Noble quite a bit:
1696358809758.png

dave2008

Legend
Maybe. I think it depends on the players. Some will certainly try to come up with new tactics. Others will simple look at the first round and say "It deals X damage each round regardless, so we will kill it in Y rounds or we won't be able to so we need to flee."

I've got players who can and will do that math instinctively within seconds of the results of the first round. And they will resolve the rest of the encounter in their heads less than a minute later. For my players, no randomness means the results of the encounter are known at the end of round 1. Might as well call it then. Not fun for us.
Isn't there always a randomness (from the player's perspective at least) about who the monster attacks. For instance, if the inevitable spreads the 96 damage around that is one thing, but if it focuses it all on PC that is something different. Not to mention this guy can just planeshift someone to the hall of concordance. So it can really mess with PC tactics. Also, each of the those attacks may be auto hit and damage, but it has a choice of disarm, imbalance, or push it can apply to those attacks. This will affect tactics as well. IDK, it seems simple do a math exercise will not serve the PCs well here IMO.

dave2008

Legend
thanks, pretty clear reactions are replacing legendary actions....which I actually think makes sense.
It seems that way, which I think is a bit unfortunate. Legendary Actions are easy on the DM. After a creature's turn I can pick one of them to take. With reactions I have to remember the trigger. Clearly they are making the triggers simple; however, IME, it is easy to forget triggers in the heat of battle (particularly if there are lot of combatants).

Also, the Vecna they released to DnDBeyond last year (?) also used multiple reactions instead of legendary actions:
1696389275228.png

dave2008

Legend
thanks, pretty clear reactions are replacing legendary actions....which I actually think makes sense.
Another issue that brings up is how Legendary Actions interact with conditions. Many conditions disallow reactions; however, none specify Legendary Actions. I don't know that is the design intent, but it gave the DM a "legal" gray area to allow Legendary Monsters to act even under the effect of conditions.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Another issue that brings up is how Legendary Actions interact with conditions. Many conditions disallow reactions; however, none specify Legendary Actions. I don't know that is the design intent, but it gave the DM a "legal" gray area to allow Legendary Monsters to act even under the effect of conditions.
Good point! Put that in a survey.

Clint_L

Hero

I don't buy it. If your players are that good at math, it is trivial for them to figure out how much average damage 7d6 works out to, and that still tells them nothing about what tactics it will employ, which abilities it will use and when, who will be targeted by its abilities, how much it will resist their attacks, etc.

Using fixed damage instead of rolling the dice adds very little variability to the game - plenty of DMs already do it for all creature attacks.

Like what will happen in a fight with a Kolyarut is pretty obvious. If it’s trying to kill the party it will use Edict of Blades to incapacitate the whole party if it can, then it will start cutting up whoever is probably the most threatening to it (it has 25 int it should figure that out quick) moving down targets as they are eliminated and using Edict of blades as it recharges. If it’s trying to capture someone, it will use Edict of Blades to incapacitate it it’s target and anyone defending it, try and planeshift them to the Hall, if it still has one use left then it follows to Sigil as soon as it can.

Remove ads