The Last of Us (HBO Max)

My issue with it is mostly that show Joel had been more realistic until that point, killing so many armed people by himself seemed a bit much for him. In the game, you spend the whole time killing bandits, soldiers and infected by the dozens, so you're more used to it at that point.

It was heavily implied that he was not someone you mess with.

Like, Marlene, Robert and others who knew him (and were competent killers themselves, with literally an army of henchmen) were clearly terrified of him, and even to some extent Tommy (who'd explicitly seen him murder and torture people in the past).

I kind of got the Doc Holiday vibes from Pedros performance at the end. He was a man who didnt care if he lived or died, which made him much more dangerous in a gun fight.

I do agree though. He seemed to suddenly manifest hardcore military CQB skills from somewhere, and we all know he never served any time in the Army (unlike Tommy).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It was heavily implied that he was not someone you mess with.

Like, Marlene, Robert and others who knew him (and were competent killers themselves, with literally an army of henchmen) were clearly terrified of him, and even to some extent Tommy (who'd explicitly seen him murder and torture people in the past).

I kind of got the Doc Holiday vibes from Pedros performance at the end. He was a man who didnt care if he lived or died, which made him much more dangerous in a gun fight.

I do agree though. He seemed to suddenly manifest hardcore military CQB skills from somewhere, and we all know he never served any time in the Army (unlike Tommy).
He did spend the last 20 years being a smuggler/raider/etc... Survived a number of ambushes on both sides. Nearly deaf from all shootin he be doin. Now he is greatly motivated too...

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I imagine in the 15 or so years they spent together in the apocalypse, Tommy taught him a few things. Plus, I could see pre-apocalypse Joel getting into a bar fight or two, so he's a tough SOB.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Folks do tend to oversell training, and undersell experience.
In combat, one doesn't live long enough to get experience unless they've had a ton of training.

Muscle memory is critically important in a high stress environment like being shot at and attempting to take someone else's life.

payn

In combat, one doesn't live long enough to get experience unless they've had a ton of training.

Muscle memory is critically important in a high stress environment like being shot at and attempting to take someone else's life.
I suppose a bit of luck was in Joel's favor too. He did try and get wasted early on.

I have seen tons and tons of police incidents were the training went right out the window and the officers did some pretty ridiculous things. I don't have any experience with military training, but ill assume a similar result in everything but special ops swat level. Even then, im not convinced its the sole difference maker as its sold to be.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I suppose a bit of luck was in Joel's favor too. He did try and get wasted early on.

I have seen tons and tons of police incidents were the training went right out the window and the officers did some pretty ridiculous things. I don't have any experience with military training, but ill assume a similar result in everything but special ops swat level. Even then, im not convinced its the sole difference maker as its sold to be.
I can't speak for police, but as a military veteran, training matters a lot. It's a huge thing, building that muscle memory and intuitive reactions when stressed. For the show, of course it's hitting John Wick levels of superhuman luck, as even a SPECOPS soldier would be lucky to not get shot trying to do what Joel did. That's what makes a good scene lol. Not very realistic.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I imagine in the 15 or so years they spent together in the apocalypse, Tommy taught him a few things. Plus, I could see pre-apocalypse Joel getting into a bar fight or two, so he's a tough SOB.
Yeah, David's confession about always having had violence in his heart was meant to reflect Joel, too, I thought.

payn

I can't speak for police, but as a military veteran, training matters a lot. It's a huge thing, building that muscle memory and intuitive reactions when stressed. For the show, of course it's hitting John Wick levels of superhuman luck, as even a SPECOPS soldier would be lucky to not get shot trying to do what Joel did. That's what makes a good scene lol. Not very realistic.
True, one guy against 12+ is bad odds for anybody.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
True, one guy against 12+ is bad odds for anybody.
Eh, most of them weren't expecting trouble, and we don't know how much experience any of these folks had. I think the toughest two people he dealt with were the pair in the stairwell, who were probably what remained of Marlene's personal bodyguard. There's no saying how much or how little experience or training the rest of the people in the hospital had.

Remove ads