• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Limit, The Floor, or the Average?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You can do what the rules say you can do - you can see as far as your Darkvision allows, you can climb and swim as fast as your speed allows, you can jump as far and as high as your strength allows, carry as much as your strengths allows, etc. A roll is never required to do these things, and a roll is not normally possible to exceed their parameters. However, as with all things, if your goal is to exceed those parameters and you have an approach that would reasonably make that goal achievable, go ahead and declare that action! It might require a roll to pull off, if it has a reasonable chance of failure and failure would have a meaningful consequence.

ECMO3

Hero
When you run or play 5e, do you treat things like lift/drag/carry weight, jump height/distance, etc as the limit, the floor, the average, or something else?

My habit has been for a few years now to treat them as essentially the floor. This is what you can do without needing to roll. It is also the floor in the sense that a low roll usually won’t go below them, except in exceptional circumstances.

If you treat these numbers the same way, as the floor of a PC’s capability, do you do the same for any of the following;
  • Climbing half your speed
  • Movement speed while dashing
  • Dark vision radius
  • Anything else you can think of
Why or why not?
The floor for jumping, the limit for weight. I would let someone roll to lift a heavy object "too heavy to lift" to get it out of the sarcophogus as an action or somtheing like that but I would not let them roll to see if they can carry it from waterdeep to neverwinter.

Climbing, darkvision and movement are all the limits IMO.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For movement, it's basically the hard limit. It has to be, to maintain the cost/benefits of the movement system within combat. For darkvision, it is the hard limit of how far they can see, unless there's some sort of other light source that might be visible outside it.
I totally get darkvision, though I view it differently for my own games, but the movement statement is interesting. Wouldn’t the cost/benefit stay pretty much the same if your movement speed was just what you can do without especial exertion?
Its the floor, always.

Interesting. If someone asked if they could roll to climb faster, I'd agree but also let them know that they're doing so with the failure-risk of losing your grip and falling. If there was already a DC to climb, I'd probably increase it by 5.
That’s about how I do it, but falling would only happen if they’re really trying to push it or totally flub the roll.
Darkvision is darkvision, though. Sure, I can focus to see better but there's nothing I can do to see the dark better than what I can automatically do (afaik).
Whereas I’d say that allowing some minor improvement via rolling allows for a somewhat more graduated vision model. Definitely grok why people don’t want to have that complexity, though.
Its basically a case-by-case basis. If I can imagine exerting yourself at a cost, I don't mind rolling for more.
Makes sense.
Darkvision is how far you can see in the dark (with disadvantage on perception that most people forget). Other than that, the base is the floor unless there are extenuating circumstances. Horizontal jump for example is your your strength score (with a running start) but extenuating circumstance might be that you're jumping from one ship to another in the middle of a horrific storm. Then it might be athletics to just power your way through it, acrobatics to be graceful or investigation to time it just right.

Just kind of depends on what they're trying to do and what the scene is. My point with the investigation check is that I want to reward people for coming up with alternatives that make sense. On the other hand you couldn't use a persuasion check in my example to "charm" the ship into cooperating. Unless it was an intelligent living ship of course. :)
Absolutely. Give me a goal and an approach, and let’s have fun with it. I don’t mind suggestions of proficiencies either, like, “I’d like to use my proficiency in Athletics to turn my Dash into a Sprint and try to make up the 5 ft I’m short by” or “I’d like to use my proficiency in Navigators tools, which we have used previously to model knowledge of higher maths and ability to calculate distance and such mentally, to gauge the jump and get a little more distance.”
I guess the floor for some, maybe not for others. Jumping distance it is definitely the floor, roll an athletics check if you need to make up a couple feet in jumping distance. I'd likely do the same with climb speed. Current climb speed is a nice easy pace, no roll, try to speed up and risk falling.
I agree
Carry weight would be the limit, even if I allowed a roll to carry more, it wouldn't be for any great distance. Lifting something could be a roll to push beyond your limits though I don't think I've ever asked for one.
Even though the listed weights are often less than what strong man competitors can do?
Movement speed and darkvision I tend to have as the limit. You can't move faster than your speed or see anything beyond your darkvision distance.
Movement speed is the one where I probably differ the most from the majority.
You can do what the rules say you can do - you can see as far as your Darkvision allows, you can climb and swim as fast as your speed allows, you can jump as far and as high as your strength allows, carry as much as your strengths allows, etc. A roll is never required to do these things, and a roll is not normally possible to exceed their parameters. However, as with all things, if your goal is to exceed those parameters and you have an approach that would reasonably make that goal achievable, go ahead and declare that action! It might require a roll to pull off, if it has a reasonable chance of failure and failure would have a meaningful consequence.
This surprises me quite a bit.

I wonder what your reasoning is, here? Balance, efficient gameplay, other?

For me, the knowledge that 5e is mostly allowing less than (or at most the same as) what collegiate athletes can do, even at high levels, means I just can’t limit the PCs to the numbers provided. Beyond that, gameplay is improved for us by having skills allow greater feats with higher checks.

For movement, I’m fine with the limit in combat, but out of combat the speeds are ludicrously low. I simply can’t pretend that my rogue with Mobile is fast when he is too slow to compete in a foot race with a high schooler of moderate talent.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This surprises me quite a bit.

I wonder what your reasoning is, here? Balance, efficient gameplay, other?
I suppose you could call it efficient gameplay? Mostly it just seems to me to be the most cohesive interpretation of the rules. The rules say how fast a character can climb and swim, how high and how far they can jump, how much they can carry, etc. If you want to do something outside of what the rules lay out, you do so according to the How to Play rules - describe what you want to do, and the DM will describe the results, possibly calling for a roll if needed to resolve uncertainty in the outcome.

For me, the knowledge that 5e is mostly allowing less than (or at most the same as) what collegiate athletes can do, even at high levels, means I just can’t limit the PCs to the numbers provided. Beyond that, gameplay is improved for us by having skills allow greater feats with higher checks.
I don’t really know what collegiate athletes do, I’m just applying the rules of the game as best I understand them.
For movement, I’m fine with the limit in combat, but out of combat the speeds are ludicrously low. I simply can’t pretend that my rogue with Mobile is fast when he is too slow to compete in a foot race with a high schooler of moderate talent.
Well, outside of combat, the speed stat isn’t generally relevant since it describes how many feet you can move in a turn, and time is generally only measured in turns in combat. In other cases, the Travel Pace and Effects table is more applicable.

doctorbadwolf

I suppose you could call it efficient gameplay? Mostly it just seems to me to be the most cohesive interpretation of the rules. The rules say how fast a character can climb and swim, how high and how far they can jump, how much they can carry, etc. If you want to do something outside of what the rules lay out, you do so according to the How to Play rules - describe what you want to do, and the DM will describe the results, possibly calling for a roll if needed to resolve uncertainty in the outcome.
Huh. I guess I just can’t really grok the perspective of folks who play RAW. Nothing wrong with it, it just...I guess it’s...alien, is a dumb word for it, but I can’t think of a better one.

But I’m also not sure I understand your actual approach and it’s difference to my own, after reading this. If a character is trying to sprint full speed to reach a macguffin before it explodes, and other characters are in combat, so rounds are relevant because seconds and timing count, would you let them roll Athletics to run faster than their speed?
I don’t really know what collegiate athletes do, I’m just applying the rules of the game as best I understand them.
Different philosophy then, for sure. IMO, the rules aren’t important at all (I don’t actually recognize them as rules, we just use the term either in the same way that we use Laws when talking about Internet forum behavior, or how one might use rules when discussing the mechanics of any complex system. They don’t govern play, the just facilitate it.) On top of that, I view reality as a useful font of inspiration, and IME nearly every player (about 8 or 9 in 10 IME) finds it unsatisfying off they figure out that their PC are being limited beyond what real people are limited to. If they ask to do some parkour, drawing direct inspiration from videos they’ve watched of freerunners, and I say they can’t even roll to try, they pretty inescapably feel like their acrobat is less acrobatic than amateur acrobatic Assassin’s Creed cosplayers on YouTube.

Reality is a great place to find inspiration for the kinds of things one might do, but IMO a terrible source of limits for fantasy games.
Well, outside of combat, the speed stat isn’t generally relevant since it describes how many feet you can move in a turn, and time is generally only measured in turns in combat. In other cases, the Travel Pace and Effects table is more applicable.
How fast you can run 100 meters is best determined by how many miles you can walk in a day!? How!?

Shiroiken

Legend
I consider it the average. Unless there's some reason to call for a check, anything equal to or under is made automatically. Going above this requires a check, since you're pushing yourself beyond your normal ability... for a short period of time. Jumping is a great example, because you could push yourself beyond your normal capability for a single jump. Carrying is a bit different, but you could push yourself to push, pull, or drag something, but only for a very short period of time, and carrying is out of the question. Darkvision isn't the same, since it's not about "seeing better," but the external limitation of light. Movement gets tricky, because I'm fine with it out of combat, as it can make for some very interesting scenes (like chases). However, being able to move farther in a combat turn can create significant imbalances, which is why I wouldn't allow it.

doctorbadwolf

I consider it the average. Unless there's some reason to call for a check, anything equal to or under is made automatically. Going above this requires a check, since you're pushing yourself beyond your normal ability... for a short period of time. Jumping is a great example, because you could push yourself beyond your normal capability for a single jump. Carrying is a bit different, but you could push yourself to push, pull, or drag something, but only for a very short period of time, and carrying is out of the question. Darkvision isn't the same, since it's not about "seeing better," but the external limitation of light. Movement gets tricky, because I'm fine with it out of combat, as it can make for some very interesting scenes (like chases). However, being able to move farther in a combat turn can create significant imbalances, which is why I wouldn't allow it.
I’m curious why carrying is out of the question?

Shiroiken

Legend
I’m curious why carrying is out of the question?
Because everything else is a short burst event, whereas carrying implies a longer duration. Theoretically you could carry something a short distance, but not enough to really consider it as part of your carrying capacity. It would be much closer to push/pull/drag.

doctorbadwolf

Because everything else is a short burst event, whereas carrying implies a longer duration. Theoretically you could carry something a short distance, but not enough to really consider it as part of your carrying capacity. It would be much closer to push/pull/drag.
Ah, okay. So carrying your 200lb dwarf buddy and both your gear for a relatively short distance is more a drag/lift, than a matter of carrying capacity?

Do you use variant encumbrance or standard?

Id probably use rolls for exceeding carry capacity more if using variant encumbrance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads