The Long Arm of Lauto:Broken Wards (DM:Ukingsken)

Oni

First Post
[sblock=ooc]

While we're at this library of theirs how about we see if they have any information on Zal'Ekthees or any books Slardy might have been looking at recently.

[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
[sblock=Meta]

So, an extended rest, possible shopping trip, I'm positive this is the moment that Kamotz should level up.

Checking the library.

Possibly helping with scepter restoration. (minor quest/skill challenge!)

Marching order, and strategy suggestions?

I'm considering giving Kamotz the overhaul, using Divine Power and some of the other new books to shape him.

Maybe do a quick ceremony for his level up...

I'll work all my ideas out by tomorrow, and update his sheet, submit it, and so on...

[/sblock]

ukingsken

First Post
[sblock=ooc] An update and level up for everyone is a good idea. After the library this is basically ended. So it will be good for everyone to take a few days, update etc, and that shud gimme time to finally fix up my next adventure to please ye olde judges.

Also just an observation but since everyone else got an item, how do you all feel about letting Vixo have the gold? It's up to all of you obviously, but as it stands I think everyone else got an item yes?[/sblock]

As the aide leads you into the library you are once again struck by the overwhelming size of the temple compared to it's outward appearances. The library seems to stretch off into unseen depths, glowing orbs spaced sporadic lend it a very cloistered feel.

All of you szit here pleaze. I vill be back with ze texts.

The small halfling bustles off, and you can hear wheels squeaking in the distance as he ascends various shelves. Finally he returns with 2 books. One is a large, many times amended volume nearly as broad as the small halfling, the other is a smaller volume bound with the finest leathers and stamped with Lauto's emblem rendered in gold leaf.

Dropping the massive tome with an ominous thud he flips through it feverishly, and as the pages turn you all catch what appears to be a ledger, kept in various hands as the book progresses.

Zis is the account of ze churches vealth. Here he points to the page he has opened. Is ze inventory of ze high hands tomb ven it vas last opened. Ze artifactz you have... Appropriated vill be listed here and referenced to zis tome which recounts the history of zose buried within. Leave ze book on ze table when you are finished.

Without another word he turns and marches off ignoring any calls or questions. As you look at the books it takes you a few moments but you find all your items listed under one entry; The Five Fingers of Death.

As you turn to the referenced page, there is a full page illustration of the 5. They are all standing in a semicircle before Lauto's altar, and the death gods symbol glows in the air above his altar. As you look at the picture you can each easily pick out your items. The Fullblade is held by the central figure, a massive shifter clothed little other then stitched animal hide, blade hanging from his shoulders and sweeping his feet. To his left stands a tall human dressed in the ornate suit of plate, a shield bearing Lauto's symbol strapped to his arm. On the shifters right a diminuitive gnome in chain links is pointing his gloved hands deftly behind his back and you can see a glimmer of magic drifting from the fingertip. On the outside edges are a lanky githzerai wearing a circlet, several stones orbiting his head, and a lithe elven woman with a rune covered bow and filigreed bracers.

Below is a recounting of their history. It seems these heroes were a group of mercenaries who eventual came to be employed by the church as instruments of Lauto's justice. For years they adventured in Lauto's name, collecting bounties, and metting out divine vengance when payment was refused. The text itself goes on for many pages, but what you do manage to find near the beginning are descriptions of the heroes and their symbolic items.

[sblock=ooc] Finally off work, eaten and cleaned. Sat down to write and chill a bit.[/sblock]

The Fullblade is known simply as Biter. The text says the during combat blades would spring from the pommel and drain the wielders blood, funneling it into the fuller of the blade and mystically amplifying the next strike with the very life of the wielder. The pain inflicted by this power is said to be excruciating, and numerous times throughout it's bloody history a wielder fell victim to his own hubris, struck down after the blades power weakened him. The blade passed unto the fingers during one of their first missions for the temple. Before that it traces a bloody history back through the hands of murderers and warlords, but the earliest record is during a great uprising of orcish tribes. The tribes grew powerful under the leadership of a brutal chief who wielded a sword of unknown origin. His might and the furor he inspired in his people nearly swept Daunton away.

[sblock=ooc]Creative juices drained for the evening. Installment 2 tomorrow :p[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
That halfling should be food... Should we "appropriate" a room to recover, as he was no help in finding one for us? Kamotz looks at his brown/red clothing, as it continues to stiffen. It's just not the same after it dries... I like my clothes a fresh red, not a cold brown. Slipping on the gloves, he flexes his hands a few times.

dimsdale

First Post
Gragg looks at his weapon with respect and awe. "Biter huh...yes, your name fits. I shall kill many foes with you." He then takes a couple practice swings and then smiles.

ukingsken

First Post
The next entry pertains to the gloves. While not a particularly cruel man, their owner delighted in tricks. He would often douse lights and move objects in an attempt to scare would be debt dodgers into paying. It was also rumored that he was overly fond of female companionship and would use the gloves power to harass barmaids, waitresses, and female clergy members. While the gloves do not have an especially storied history they were well known by any who knew of the 5 as the tricksters paws.

The platemail itself was a gift bestowed upon the 5. Their leader often found himself at the forefront of battles, beset by many enemies. For his repeated valor the priests gifted him a suit of armor that would make him as strong as the foundations of the faith. The Granite Heart has been handed down through the generations, to champions of the faith who serve faithfully. Originally forged for a paladin whose name has been lost, for over a century the armor appeared at the greatest tests of the churches strength. It was last worn during the week of walking dead, an event that led to the wards that now cover the museum. It was lost during the fight when the bearer was killed by a specter, and never seen again.

The circlet has a humble, if practical history. Known simply as Lauto's mercy it was gifted to the church by one of the earliest high priests to aid in their treatment of illness and disease. The circlet was reserved for those afflicted with the most deadly of conditions, allowing those who would otherwise succumb, bask in the death gods mercy and remain in the world of the living that much longer.

Finally as you come to the end of the section you see a short paragraph regarding the bracers. A family heirloom, passed down for generations, Il'tyeshten Karathis (The Iluminated Path) was said to fill the wielders vision with Sehanine's holy light. The light would guide any missle directly to the vitals of an enemy, lifting it as if on wings. When the 5 perished, there was no heir and the bracers became church property and were locked away. It is said they were once responsible for piercing the eye of a beholder from 100 feet, killing the beast instantly.

[sblock=ooc] Sorry it took me a day or two to get all that sorted out. I didn't wanna cheap out but I wanted to leave it sufficiently vague that someone could later develop that more if they so chose.

PS if anyone ever wanted to know working 21 days straight, 12-14 hours a day is brutal in every way. Let me know if you still wanna look into Zal'Ekthees.[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
PS if anyone ever wanted to know working 21 days straight, 12-14 hours a day is brutal in every way. Let me know if you still wanna look into Zal'Ekthees.[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
yes to Zal'Ekthees...but gets some well deserved rest. Pound 10 healing surges! :)

We are all looking forward to the sequel when you are ready.
[/sblock]

RedBeardJim

First Post
Finally as you come to the end of the section you see a short paragraph regarding the bracers. A family heirloom, passed down for generations, Il'tyeshten Karathis (The Iluminated Path) was said to fill the wielders vision with Sehanine's holy light. The light would guide any missle directly to the vitals of an enemy, lifting it as if on wings. When the 5 perished, there was no heir and the bracers became church property and were locked away. It is said they were once responsible for piercing the eye of a beholder from 100 feet, killing the beast instantly.

The voice hissed in Morvannon's thoughts.

*Sehanine?!? hnnnn. none so blind as those who see what they want to*
*What do you mean?*
*these are fey. of the fey. by the fey. for the fey.*
*How do you know? And why do you care?*
*........never you mind. find a place to rest, to meditate. time you were stronger*

Shaking his head to clear it, the half-elf backs away from the others. "I'll give you 'never you mind'," he mutters as he straightens up. "Magnus? Could I talk to you when we finish up here?"

[sblock=OOC]Morv's getting a little tired of his overly-cryptic patron -- gonna take the wizard multiclass feat when I do my level-up. *grin*[/sblock]

Remove ads