D&D General The longer I play Baldur's Gate 3 ...

My wife has gone all-in on BG3 over the past two weeks. As I watch her play, she mentions how she wishes D&D actually played that way. I remind her that she's not a computer and neither am I. I think there are elements from BG3 that can be ported over, but the fiddly bits are best handled by a machine.
What elements does she usually ask for?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
One thing I always found funny about BG1-3 is the characters are just filled to bursting with magic items. Need a legendary piece of armor? I've got 10! How about the Weapons of the Gods! I've got one of each! I have more resurrection scrolls than was probably ever produced in the past 1000 years! And I'm level 12!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
One thing I always found funny about BG1-3 is the characters are just filled to bursting with magic items. Need a legendary piece of armor? I've got 10! How about the Weapons of the Gods! I've got one of each! I have more resurrection scrolls than was probably ever produced in the past 1000 years! And I'm level 12!
Some of that early on is to deal with Gale's addiction, given that Larian didn't know how many players were going to clear the map in Act I before moving on. But yeah, there's also some definite subtle commentary about danger levels, 5E healing and how much fun it is to get magic items versus yet another goblin shortbow. (So. many. shortbows.)

Retreater

Legend
I think the fiddlier bits, from what I've seen, can mostly be adapted by using good 3D scenery (I know, I don't have the budget or space for that either) or by adapting mechanics that require tracking things like lightning charges to roll-to-refresh, similar to how 5E dragon breath weapons work.
I have a decent selection of 3D scenery (and decently painted to boot!) Obviously it can't compare to the programmers at Larian Studios, but it's not half bad. Players complain that it "gets in the way" and never interact with it.
One thing Dragonbane does is to have terrain feature cards where the players know beforehand how the terrain can be interacted with. I'm thinking of doing something like that to make some suggestions - and maybe it will open up other opportunities as they grow more accustomed to it.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I'm not that surprised about the lack of a crunch book based on BG3, but I am surprised at the lack of digital-only adventures and fluff products based on it that seem like they would be no-brainers and relatively easy lifts. Like, where is "Karlach's Guide to Sexy Tieflings" and so forth, or "Lae'zel's Ghaik Hunt" one-shot?

I'm also surprised DMsGuild creators aren't moving on this stuff, but I suspect that's because nobody is sure if they're allowed to use the characters or not.

Yeah - even if nobody knows whether creators can use Astarion or Gale, there is plenty of BG3-related stuff that there's no doubt is fair game - Shar, Duke Ravenguard/Flaming Fist, Baldur's Gate, etc. Plus characters from the earlier games who appear in this one (avoiding spoilers) have also been used in DMsGuild products before.

IMO I think this proves a lesson that, even though BG3 is a video game, magic items IMO don't unbalance characters that much. In my experience, giving even T1 characters legendary items doesn't drastically change the game, but it does change the nature of the "high moments" experienced within the game.

A Fighter with a vorpal sword at 3rd level is still 3rd level. There's a 5% chance they cut off the werewolf boss's head, but a high chance the werewolf kills them first. Having between 24-30 HP total is a strong limitation, and this limitation lasts up through T2 and enters T3.

Only things like the Ring of Three Wishes etc, legit campaign breakers, really throw off the balance ultra hard.

That being said, T3 and beyond (which BG3 only has two levels of) compounds with magic items due to the power of the spells a lot of characters gain access too, and because T3 characters can sometimes even punch up +10 their level in terms of CR.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Some of that early on is to deal with Gale's addiction, given that Larian didn't know how many players were going to clear the map in Act I before moving on. But yeah, there's also some definite subtle commentary about danger levels, 5E healing and how much fun it is to get magic items versus yet another goblin shortbow. (So. many. shortbows.)

I also think the abundance of magic items is there for players who feel they need "something to play for" after hitting the level cap fairly early in Act 3 as a lot of folks will. The crazy amount of late game items is a way of making players feel like their characters are improving without having to deal with the headaches of implementing tier 3 levels into the game.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I also think the abundance of magic items is there for players who feel they need "something to play for" after hitting the level cap fairly early in Act 3 as a lot of folks will. The crazy amount of late game items is a way of making players feel like their characters are improving without having to deal with the headaches of implementing tier 3 levels into the game.
I would bet money that Larian knows all about the Epic6 play model during late 3E.

Retreater

Legend
What elements does she usually ask for?
More magic items. In this specific case, handing out lots of consumables.
The ability to interact with objects (i.e. exploding barrels).
Three-dimensional terrain (i.e. climbing up to the rafters for a better shot, jumping across chasms). [She thinks the RAW is too punishing in the action economy to perform these stunts.]
Shoving, pushing, etc. [Bonus actions in BG3, so also RAW too punishing in the action economy.]
Multiple objectives (i.e. don't let this prisoner die, stop this enemy from escaping with the McGuffin, etc.) [It's not that we can't do this at the table, it's that we can't reload from the previous save state so the "story" isn't derailed.]

Remove ads