[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Ok interesting episode but I have lots of questions
The elf at the tree battle story? Was that the current king
No, not explicitly. It was an unnamed elf.

The king story a lie?
We don't know. Elrond says it's believed to be apocryphal.

The angelic people? These the same as gandolf
I suppose you mean the people tracking the Stranger. I don't know who they are, but they seemed sinister to me rather than angelic. When you say "the same as Gandalf", I suppose you're asking if they're wizards? I don't know if the show writers have decided to have wizards exist in their version of the Second Age.

The wargs in the forest? Were the wargs created by Sauron or mystery elf
In Tolkien's legendarium, the Enemy cannot create but can only corrupt and pervert to his will that which is in the world. So the wargs in origin must have been derived from some naturally occurring species of wolves, perhaps dire wolves, but because they can talk, they must have been bred to be exceptionally intelligent or made to house some evil spirits. Perhaps they were sired by werewolves.

The boat at the end. How many of these are actually Tolkien creations?
In the legendarium, Elendil and Isildur do return to Middle-earth in three boats, but in that tale they are fleeing from the drowning of Númenor.

reelo

Hero
Just when I started to warm up and even look forward to the show, the showmakers take another dump on established canon. At every point of the history of Arda, the 3 Silmarilli are accounted for: After their theft by Morgoth they are all 3 in his iron crown until Beren steals one. That one goes to Thingol, then Dior, Elwing, Earendil.
The other 2 are taken from Morgoth by Eonwë (iirc) and are then stolen by Maedhros and Maglor. Since the jewels burn their hands, Maedhros throws himself into a fiery pit and Maglor throws his into the ocean. Thus, one stone is in the sky, one in the earth, and one in the sea. Elves would know this. The story with the tree, and the origin of Mithril is stupid, sorry.

No, not explicitly. It was an unnamed elf.

We don't know. Elrond says it's believed to be apocryphal.

I suppose you mean the people tracking the Stranger. I don't know who they are, but they seemed sinister to me rather than angelic. When you say "the same as Gandalf", I suppose you're asking if they're wizards? I don't know if the show writers have decided to have wizards exist in their version of the Second Age.

In Tolkien's legendarium, the Enemy cannot create but can only corrupt and pervert to his will that which is in the world. So the wargs in origin must have been derived from some naturally occurring species of wolves, perhaps dire wolves, but because they can talk, they must have been bred to be exceptionally intelligent or made to house some evil spirits. Perhaps they were sired by werewolves.

In the legendarium, Elendil and Isildur do return to Middle-earth in three boats, but in that tale they are fleeing from the drowning of Númenor.
Sorry angelic /sinister . Werent the wizards actually otherworldly beings

MarkB

Legend
Just when I started to warm up and even look forward to the show, the showmakers take another dump on established canon. At every point of the history of Arda, the 3 Silmarilli are accounted for: After their theft by Morgoth they are all 3 in his iron crown until Beren steals one. That one goes to Thingol, then Dior, Elwing, Earendil.
The other 2 are taken from Morgoth by Eonwë (iirc) and are then stolen by Maedhros and Maglor. Since the jewels burn their hands, Maedhros throws himself into a fiery pit and Maglor throws his into the ocean. Thus, one stone is in the sky, one in the earth, and one in the sea. Elves would know this. The story with the tree, and the origin of Mithril is stupid, sorry.
It surprises me that people are still being surprised by the showrunners taking liberties with established events. We know that they're doing this.

Note that it's not the power of the Silmaril itself that seeps down from the tree in this tale, but the combined powers that the elf and balrog were pouring into the tree. The Silmaril may still have ended up in the earth, sea or sky.

And also, this tale is obscure and apocryphal. It may turn out to be untrue within the show itself.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I hated the mithril creation story. It takes Eru to create and a valar or maia working deliberately with power in order to make something change. It doesn't just happen by accident. I also concur with those who think the whole light of the elves fading unless they get mithril story is dumb.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm pretty sure the mithral thing is a lie. "And they were all of them deceived."
It's a con to get the rings in elven hands.
They were deceived by Sauron's fair visage and aid, not by some cockamamie story. They made the rings in order to make their lands as beautiful as Valinor. Elves love beauty.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It surprises me that people are still being surprised by the showrunners taking liberties with established events. We know that they're doing this.
It's less about surprised that they're taking liberties. We can all see that too. For me it's more of a question of the nature of the liberty being so... odd.

And also, this tale is obscure and apocryphal. It may turn out to be untrue within the show itself.
That doesn't necessarily make it any better since these are elves of significant intelligence and knowledge buying into it. Plus the idea of thousands of years of elves living through some pretty terrible wars with Morgoth and the damage he wrought to the environment, but they're suddenly facing extinction now?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Sorry angelic /sinister . Werent the wizards actually otherworldly beings
In origin, yes, they were Maiar, just like Sauron, who entered into the created world from the timeless halls of Ilúvatar at the beginning of time. In the Third Age, they were sent to Middle-earth from Valinor, which is also an "other world" of sorts, to aid the free peoples against the dark lord.

Remove ads