[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

In origin, yes, they were Maiar, just like Sauron, who entered into the created world from the timeless halls of Ilúvatar at the beginning of time. In the Third Age, they were sent to Middle-earth from Valinor, which is also an "other world" of sorts, to aid the free peoples against the dark lord.
Ok so maybe these 3 are maiar

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This is a universe where a big spider eats the trees that are also the sun…
I really dislike the argument that just because this fantasy thing happens, all fantasy things are okay. THIS fantasy thing runs contrary to just about everything Tolkien wrote about the elves. Eru didn't give them limited battery life. They were eternal unless killed or they lost the will to live.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
They're all supposed to appear as older humans, but it's not like they haven't already gone off script for a lot of stuff.
Well, the wizards appeared that way. We’ve seen three of them in the Peter Jackson movies. The Stranger certainly appears to fit the mold. But other maiar might appear in different ways, including Sauron who was a shape shifter. As Annatar, however, he appeared as an emissary of the Valar, which is what the wizards actually were.

Mercurius

Legend
I really dislike the argument that just because this fantasy thing happens, all fantasy things are okay. THIS fantasy thing runs contrary to just about everything Tolkien wrote about the elves. Eru didn't give them limited battery life. They were eternal unless killed or they lost the will to live.

Bezos Elves only bear slightly more resemblance to Tolkien Elves than Gygax Elves do (meaning, very little), that at this point it doesn't really matter. I don't even think they're trying to capture the vision of Tolkien, but rather just using his names and ideas to tell whatever story they are trying to tell.

But yeah, the elves sort of essentialize just how far they're missing the mark - if the mark is to capture a Tolkien vibe - because elves were so central and dear to Tolkien, and these ain't them.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I thought elves diminishing and going into the west was a theme?
In the Third Age it is. The Second Age is more about the ones who stayed (after the big return to the West at the end of the First Age) picking up and establishing new lands and living in relative peace without the threat of Morgoth over them - for a while. The Second Age is far more about the deceptions and betrayals of Sauron and the corruption of men - thematically.

Remove ads