• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
As for the whole concept, I am still disappointed they are pushing the proto-Hobbit thing so hard. I guess they just have to have something small and cute in the show?
There could be lots of reasons to have the Harfoot in there, such as the advantage of having characters with an earthy, simple point-of-view, or that audiences might be disappointed if there aren't "hobbits" in their Middle-earth entertainment. That's just off the top of my head.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
My understanding is there's the rights they've purchased to be able to make the show, and then things they've negotiated permission to use on a piecemeal basis.
Okay. Unrelated, I don't think that werewolf was impressive looking enough to be Sauron.

Horwath

Legend
Trailer looks mostly good, but horses and their plastic armor is terrible CGI.

Actors seem that they had vaccination against charisma not Covid

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I like the way the Numenor looks in the trailers I've seen so far. The scenery in general is beautiful (and Middle-earthy). I like that ents were shown in the trailer.

But I remain extremely disappointed by the decision to compress 1700+ years of Middle-earth history into a few years (maybe a decade) for the series. I don't like the inclusion of the proto-hobbits ("harfoots"). I think "meteorite man" is silly (I suspect that it's an attempt to dramatically introduce the Sauron/Annatar character).

But of course I'll watch the thing...

Horwath

Legend
I also have a dread of Game of thrones seasons 7&8.

GoT become trash when series director run out of released material and just had GRRM sidenotes and general guidelines.

These people don't have rights to Silmarillon, just some notes and comments about expanding LotR.

So, more or less, we are getting most expensive fan fiction project.

Fingers crossed...

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
So, more or less, we are getting most expensive fan fiction project.
A lot of adaptations feel like that... fanficky. It is not necessarily a bad thing. There's a lot of good fanfic, a lot of which is actually better than the original, but it isn't inherently good, and many times all we want is a sincere adaptation, to see the book on screen. (Not necessarily beat by beat, I mean there's not pleasing some people, and many times extra detail needs to be removed by the constraints of the media)

This feels as if they were truing to remake the Star Wars prequels, but instead of havin rights to the whole plot, all they had access to was seven lines uttered in the Original trilogy and as a result the whole plot lasts a week instead of fifteen years. And the Clone Wars get reduced to a single scuffle... to be frank, that is kind of the reason I wasn't interested in Lightyear. All that it had was three names, and a moto. No other characters, no planets, not even the little green men. Something very similar is happening here. I was expecting the Silmarilion/StarCommand, TRoP/Lightyear instead went for a totally different thing which is reminiscent enough to remind me of the existing media, but different enough to feel off. This is not an indictment on the people doing it, traditionally the bar for adaptations has been pretty low to what we have grown to expect, and the industry is still adjusting to the expectations. It is just that the thing is a bit disappointing. I could eventually watch and even like it as its own thing, but right now I'm not interested anymore.

Remove ads