[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Seems like what Amazon licensed is pretty great for them, enough to put Tolkien’s name and LotR on it, but not enough to be limited in anyway from telling the story they want. The price not so great for them.

Yeah, for all that money, you think they would have gotten the rights to more than just the Appendices in Return of the King, which from what I read recently is actually all they got. This did not include the rights to the actual stories at all.

GreyLord

Legend
They have to "make stuff up" because the estate greatly limited what lore they could use. Plus, well, these stories weren't told in any detail. And lots of stuff happens in a make believe world that isn't tied to the stories we know.

And just think...the family had a cow when asked by Williams to do the same thing a few decades ago.

My...my. How the wheel turns.

And just think...the family had a cow when asked by Williams to do the same thing a few decades ago.

My...my. How the wheel turns.

It is all a mixed bag. Back when C7 was still doing The One Ring, and still had forums where they would show up and answer questions, they told us that everything they created as new content/characters/etc for the time period in between The Hobbit and LotR when the game is set, had to all be read and approved by the Tolkien Estate, not Saul Zaentz's company, before it would be published.

Horwath

Legend
this is a mixed bag for me also.

It is not completely horrible as I expected it to be, nor is it good as I had hope for it.

first two episodes are around or slightly below the Hobbit level.

some good parts, bunch of filler.

and the pace is sloooooow.

visual are great, maybe sterile somewhere, but still great, we can see where 80% of the budget went to.
props to the CGI team.

Karendriel is hell bent on revenge for her brother's death and wants to speak to Elven management all the time. Even if you are correct, and she is correct about Sauron, there is a thing called overextending, and Elrond rightfully has scolded her and told her that her zeal will create much company for her brother in death.

and that ice troll fight? haha!
why does she have a company with her if they are so incompetent?
Either she is so good that she does not need help in that quest or is she so stupid to bring bunch of incompetent "red shirts" just to have then for cannon fodder. That is somewhat irresponsible to your troops. It also put her in danger as a large group is easier to spot and there is clearly no use for them in combat.

That quest should have her alone there. Might be some better character development if she is alone with here rage, hate and zeal.
maybe some inner monologue voice over.

The bobbits, err harfoots can be cut completely and have us some more mass battle recollection about the war with Sauron.
They are like those endless, useless scenes in Hobbit with dwarves singing, and bathing and throwing plates...

And whats with amnesiac Maianator, Valardine model T-800 Olorin?
was he send back from the future or maybe just from asteroid belt around Arda.
I was half expecting Gandalf to start yelling; WHAT AGE IS IT??

Since I still cant be bothered to remember new character names just yet, I will say that only interesting thing would be the part with the black elf guy and his (not)girlfriend.
There could be something interesting in this; discover the mystery of the orcs.
also with her son and (not)Morgul blade.

Elrond and Durin storyline could be predicted from mile away, especially when Durin's wife entered the dialogue.
yeah, no one saw that reconsiliation coming...what a plot twist...

They might pull something decent about Elven/dwarven collaboration in building the towers, some orcs in digging the foundations, some new magical creatures discovered, anything.

it just seems that biggest limit is their source material of maybe 50 pages, they need to make a lot things up and have it not correlate with any books as they have no right to that material.
And they want to make 5 seasons of it? From that skinny source material?

guess, we'll see.
Best of luck to them, they'll need it.

Remove ads