[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Sure I am. But so what? The books are separate things. Again, how does changing the story make it bad automatically?
It absolutely doesn't. But when dealing with an intricate fantasy setting it's a dangerous game.

For example, my major issue with the Wheel of Time series is not that they changed things, but that every change they made, including some that had a lot of positive potential or were at least eminently sensible for the format, caused all sorts of aspects of the worldbuilding and plot to unravel and then be patched together haphazardly by television writers on a deadline. In that instance I think they'd have done better to adhere closer to the books, not because they are perfect, but because they were carefully thought through by a creator with a coherent vision taking his time, and that was better circumstances to nourish good fantasy than a tv show's writers room.

But that does not mean an unfaithful Tolkien adaptation couldn't be great, it just means that faithful adaptation is less likely to come apart at the seams.

I don't have any problem with Hobbits being around in the 1st or 2nd Age, for reasons already described,

What might be problematic, would be Hobbits interacting with the Great, and somehow being pivotal to events, as their canonical status - as only being noticed much later in the histories - would be on shaky ground.

A separate storyline or sub-plot - say a group of Hobbits living in the Vales of Anduin, having to deal with the Dark Years - might be kind of fun, if it's handled thoughtfully.

Battalions of Hobbit archers marching on Dagorlad or acting as heralds for Gil-Galad - not so much.

That said, I don't really care that much - just like I don't care about the Elves at Helm's Deep.

At least we will not have to deal with a baby Legolas running around, since he is not born until just after the beginning of the Third Age. lol

And maybe we will finally get Tom Bombadil and Goldberry on film, since the side plot between them and the hobbits in LotR was left out.

We might also get to see the Entwives, as at the time of the crafting of the Rings, they were still out and about and interacting with humans.

Vanity Fair article here

1644513884035.png

1644513925175.png

1644514042927.png

darjr

I crit!
This is how Morkoth and Sauron distort the truth and disrupt the powers of good. Disinformation spread by Hollywood.

For a series they have to fill in a ton. I hope they don’t change too much, considering they have a ton of room to play around in.

But if it’s good ima gunna be OK.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
This is how Morkoth and Sauron distort the truth and disrupt the powers of good. Disinformation spread by Hollywood.

For a series they have to fill in a ton. I hope they don’t change too much, considering they have a ton of room to play around in.

But if it’s good ima gunna be OK.
I hope they give people of color roles that aren't all evil, and more women actual roles....

I don't care if they change things, but I get others do.

I hope they give people of color roles that aren't all evil, and more women actual roles....

I don't care if they change things, but I get others do.

There is a lot of info, and more pictures, in that Vanity Fair article. The black actor pictured above is a female Dwarf princess. And there is a black actor playing a Sylvan Elf, who is apparently in a forbidden relationship with a human woman. And a lot more.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
There is a lot of info, and more pictures, in that Vanity Fair article. The black actor pictured above is a female Dwarf princess. And there is a black actor playing a Sylvan Elf, who is apparently in a forbidden relationship with a human woman. And a lot more.
Good deal. I can only imagine certain elements of LotR fandom hating that so much.....

I'm not convinced Amazon will do this well, but I think they will. I'm looking forward to it very much.

Good deal. I can only imagine certain elements of LotR fandom hating that so much.....

Yeah, just showing a female Dwarf, let alone with no beard, will give some purists heart attacks. lol

The young(er) Elrond and Galadriel will bug some people too because they are not using the same actors for the roles. Yes, Elves are immortal, but they still "age" and this show is happening somewhere around 5000 years before LotR.

Also, at least the article mentions there not being any Hobbits or Wizards in the show.

Boo on time compression, even though it may be necessary when many centuries would otherwise pass:

The series, set to begin streaming on Amazon Prime Video in September, is set in the Second Age of J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth world and will differ from the film adaptations by compressing events that would have spanned hundreds of years in the books to a shorter time frame. Payne explained that otherwise "human characters are dying off every season because you’re jumping 200 years in time, and then you’re not meeting really big, important canon characters until season four", adding that viewers should not expect "a documentary of Middle-earth".

Remove ads