[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Also, at least the article mentions there not being any Hobbits or Wizards in the show.
The Yahoo! article I saw said (emphasis mine):
Yahoo! said:
Two types of beloved characters have been restricted from the series, however: Wizards and hobbits, “who weren’t major players in the Second Age.” The production will still have hobbits, of a sort, by including hobbit ancestors called harfoots, but they will have a peripheral story “in the margins of the bigger quests.”

These new images are very exciting! Princess Disa looks awesome. Self-proclaimed "Tolkien purists" might nitpick about the character not being in the books, or not having a beard (balderdash; Tolkien explicitly only says all male dwarves have beards - emphasis Tolkien's), but if I'm feeling uncharitable, I think many of them are just mad about the other thing. The increased diversity of the cast is very welcome. If you go back and watch the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies, they are very noticeably white.

Yeah, just showing a female Dwarf, let alone with no beard, will give some purists heart attacks. lol

The Nature of Middle-Earth is filled with charts of elvish rates of aging. Like, a lot of charts as he worked through it in his head.

The young(er) Elrond and Galadriel will bug some people too because they are not using the same actors for the roles. Yes, Elves are immortal, but they still "age" and this show is happening somewhere around 5000 years before LotR.

I read an article that compared young Elrond's look to Steve Harrington, and that's going to stick with me.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Thanks for the link! Something about reading a Vanity Fair article about this series, with photos, made it very real and exciting for me. I have to say, I got a little choked up. One point they raise about any complaints about diversity in the cast is that The Hobbit and LOTR are explicitly about (among other things) people from very different backgrounds coming together.
Boo on time compression, even though it may be necessary when many centuries would otherwise pass:
I kind of figured this would happen, because doing it accurately would really strain the expectations of viewers.
I read an article that compared young Elrond's look to Steve Harrington, and that's going to stick with me.
You mean Steve "Hair"ington? ;) 😂

netflix scoop troop GIF by Stranger Things

Honestly, now I kinda wish they had cast Joe Keery as young Elrond. In all honesty, I bet he could pull it off. Maybe when they get to the First Age series...

The Vanity Fair article includes a picture of young Elrond, as well as another pic of young Elrond and young Galadriel staring into each other's eyes.

Remove ads