[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Urriak

Explorer
The last two trailers (especially the last one) look incredible. Very much looking more like the Lord of the Rings films in quality, instead of the Hobbit films over-usage of CGI. I'm pretty confident I will enjoy this.

I will say however, as I was YouTube-searching for footage of the panel, there are an absolute metric-ton of videos up of folks bashing the show as too "woke." Like, the same level of videos being posted for Captain Marvel/Brie Larson bashing.

Truly so silly how there are people willing to devote so much time to bash something that isn't even out yet....

Marc Radle

Legend
The last two trailers (especially the last one) look incredible. Very much looking more like the Lord of the Rings films in quality, instead of the Hobbit films over-usage of CGI. I'm pretty confident I will enjoy this.

I will say however, as I was YouTube-searching for footage of the panel, there are an absolute metric-ton of videos up of folks bashing the show as too "woke." Like, the same level of videos being posted for Captain Marvel/Brie Larson bashing.

Truly so silly how there are people willing to devote so much time to bash something that isn't even out yet....

I almost hate to ask, but what is the complaint? Simply that there is a female lead?

Urriak

Explorer
I almost hate to ask, but what is the complaint? Simply that there is a female lead?

The big complaint seems to be that there are non-white actors playing elves, dwarves... really anyone. Essentially they are saying Tolkien wrote everyone to be white, so there shouldn't be anyone in the cast as non-white.

Which obviously can't fly in the 21st century for a big-budget product (or really any entertainment project). It's a pretty silly complaint because LOTR isn't real and I don't really think it changes anything if some elves have dark skin (I think the story remains the same), and it's important for everyone to see themselves in film/tv. But the folks making these hate vids are pretty awful honestly.

Rune

Once A Fool
The big complaint seems to be that there are non-white actors playing elves, dwarves... really anyone. Essentially they are saying Tolkien wrote everyone to be white, so there shouldn't be anyone in the cast as non-white.

Which obviously can't fly in the 21st century for a big-budget product (or really any entertainment project). It's a pretty silly complaint because LOTR isn't real and I don't really think it changes anything if some elves have dark skin (I think the story remains the same), and it's important for everyone to see themselves in film/tv. But the folks making these hate vids are pretty awful honestly.
Maybe they should check out The Tolkien Professor’s Silmarillion Film (“Silm Film”) Project – the collaborative development of a hypothetical many-season Silmarillion TV adaptation that has been ongoing for years. They’ve “cast” plenty of non-white actors for such roles.

I wonder how these self-appointed purity gatekeepers’ arguments would hold up against an actual Tolkien scholar and educator.

All that has been escipsed by the fact that Sauron looks like rapper Emmenim LMFAO.

I don't buy the idea this is about race or a female action hero, because Honor Among Thieves has ALL those things in abundance, and yet almost completely positive comments on YouTube to the trailer and it's getting plenty of likes, far more then dislikes, while Rings of Power is getting Ratio'd into the dirt.

The truth is obvious, D&D: HAT utterly respects the source material, it looks and feel like Faerun, and the characters fit in.

The Rings of Power doesn't respect the Middle Earth lore apparently.

It's that simple. Plus when HAT is funny, its on purpose and folks laugh with cast & crew, when people Rings of Power is funny, it's not on purpose, folks are laughing AT the show, not with it.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
All that has been escipsed by the fact that Sauron looks like rapper Emmenim LMFAO.

I don't buy the idea this is about race or a female action hero, because Honor Among Thieves has ALL those things in abundance, and yet almost completely positive comments on YouTube to the trailer and it's getting plenty of likes, far more then dislikes, while Rings of Power is getting Ratio'd into the dirt.

The truth is obvious, D&D: HAT utterly respects the source material, it looks and feel like Faerun, and the characters fit in.

It's that simple. Plus when HAT is funny, its on purpose and folks laugh with cast & crew, when people Rings of Power is funny, it's not on purpose, folks are laughing AT the show, not with it.
They are laughing at a show that hasn't come out? Of course it's about racism. All over the internet, people whining about non white actors. I'm not sure what else that could be, frankly, than racism.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Whining that the elves are black is racism.

I could list literally dozens of instances where the Jackson movies violate the tone, theme and plot of LotR, yet the people who are panning the - as yet unseen - upcoming series sing his praises, and are fuming because the casting choices and characterization in the Amazon show are so "egregiously lore breaking." There is a case of extremely selective criticism at work, and it is based on race and gender bias, because if:

1) There were no black elves,
2) There were no black hobbits and;
3) Galadriel was wearing a dress all of the time

I guarantee their messaging would be very different.

I also suspect that Nerdrotic, Geeks & Gamers, MauLer, Critical Drinker and their ilk are really just looking for clicks and are cynically playing that card.

Remove ads