[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

MarkB

Legend
She was younger, yes, but not enough to make that large of a change. The current show is set about 2000 years before the war of the ring, which means she is already 6000 years old. Elves don't really change that much and by the ripe age of 6k, she's not really going to change anymore.

The show should be portraying her like the movies did. That said, I'm not sure she is introverted. She went with Fingolfin and his followers from Aman to Middle Earth across the Helcaraxe and then took part in the wars that followed. It wasn't until around 400 years from the time of this show that she went to dwell in Lothlorien and it was another 500ish years before she assumed control of that place. By that time all the elves had retreated to their strongholds.
Events change people, even elves. The Galadriel we see in the movies is one who has lost nearly everyone she's ever known, either to death or to the elves' long, slow departure from Middle Earth, leader of a people who are now rare almost to the point of being mythical, and guardian of a secret source of power and security against an overwhelming foe who would subsume and subjugate it if ever given the chance.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Nori bothers me, but only because of the name. Nori and the other dwarves went with Bilbo to reclaim the Lonely Mountain. I just can't get past her not being a dwarf.
She's "Eleanor" and they call her "Nori" because apparently it's a popular Middle Earth nickname. (I watch shows with captions on, and her parents periodically "Eleanor" her when she's being a pain in the ass.)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Events change people, even elves. The Galadriel we see in the movies is one who has lost nearly everyone she's ever known, either to death or to the elves' long, slow departure from Middle Earth, leader of a people who are now rare almost to the point of being mythical, and guardian of a secret source of power and security against an overwhelming foe who would subsume and subjugate it if ever given the chance.
From the beginning of the 1st age she was a source of wisdom and a counselor to the other leaders. She did not take part in any major battles. Seeing her this bloodthirsty is a huge departure from who she was for the entirety of her existence.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
From the beginning of the 1st age she was a source of wisdom and a counselor to the other leaders. She did not take part in any major battles. Seeing her this bloodthirsty is a huge departure from who she was for the entirety of her existence.
So what? How does it matter? Neil Gaiman, who likely knows a thing or two about what is wrong with adapting novels to tv, says this isn't an issue.....

Dire Bare

Legend
So I made a mistake… a big mistake.

I mistakenly watched a YouTube video detailing a fans ‘dismantling’ of the series…. In order to try and understand why it has been rated so badly by the audience. Twenty minutes of reactionary, racist, bitter, jealous complaining about the most minor details in the series.

It was the very definition of toxic fandom. One of the good things about a series like this is that it gets brought to light and action can be taken. I fear we need another Mark Hamil to step forward and say you aren’t real fans. Peter Jackson might be able to do it. Maybe. He should.
Amazon turned off the on-site reviews for a couple of days, because Rings of Power is being review bombed by those same toxic trolls you stumbled across. This is, sadly, the new normal.

Most fans and viewers are not so toxic, but those toxic trolls are LOUD and OBNOXIOUS . . . and tiresome. Every fandom has them now, and they feel very entitled to not just share their opinions, but to actively work at bringing down shows and the entertainers involved.

Makes me sad for humanity.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So what? How does it matter? Neil Gaiman, who likely knows a thing or two about what is wrong with adapting novels to tv, says this isn't an issue.....
Oh, right, because Appeals to Authority are really convincing. It matters because it fundamentally changes who she is, even as portrayed in the movies. It would have been better to make her the voice of wisdom that she was and make the new elf the bloodthirsty one.

Dire Bare

Legend
Oh no, fans pay attention to detail in a franchise which which prides itself to be detailed and consistent.....
Which franchise? Lord of the Rings? That's adorable.

This is a franchise with FOUR novels and volumes of background material that is anything but consistent. Detailed, yes, but not as detailed as you seem to think.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I mean, he is High King of the Noldor in Middle-earth. The problem here is that Galadriel is the youngest child of the youngest child of Finwe; a lot of systems of organising succession would place her as one of the last choices for the crown (I spent the last hour or so looking over the relevant family trees trying to tease out what their system is, a process which isn't helped by the fact that Gil-Galad's placement in the Silmarillion seems to be regarded as questionable if not actually incorrect, including by Christopher Tolkien apparently)

You could argue that "High King of the Noldor" didn't actually carry that much weight in the books, but I think by the Second Age everyone's calmed down a bit and generally acknowledges Gil-Galad's rule.
Except that she and Celeborn did serve under Gil-Galad as leaders of a group of elves, and then later as rulers of Eregion under him. The show is fairly close to her history on this point.

Zardnaar

Legend
Are you saying that you can tell the difference between a Canadian accent and an American one? I'm not sure I believe it. (I mean, I can see you being able to tell the difference between a Toronto accent and a Brooklyn accent, say, because frankly everyone can (though they might not know that that is what they are) but a general US/CAN average accent?

I'm from Vancouver, and while visiting Japan, I met some Americans who said, "You're Canadian? But you have no accent!", to which I responded "You're just saying that because I sound like people on TV. That's because most people you see on TV are from Vancouver."

It's an exaggeration with some small truth to it.

Most of the time yes. Sometimes I get it wrong though so a strong Canadian accent I can.

Some have a generic mid Atlantic type accent and unless they say about one can mistake them for Muricans. Much to their chagrin.

Sometimes I can broadly pick an American accent eg wid west, west coast, Southern, east coast very rarely state.

I can't get Canadian or English regional ones not sure they exist in Australia. With English I can sometimes tell they're from somewhere but I don't know them well enough to guess where that some where is.
We don't really have them here but there's a stereotype of Southland accents that seems to be dying out and someone (pakeha) occasionally has a Maori accent which usually means they're from "up north" somewhere.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases