[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Ryujin

Legend
For me it's that rare American with no string accent and some Canadians have it.

I usually guess east coast/NE USA but it's not exact.
I was born in the Canadian Maritimes; New Brunswick to be exact. My old accent only comes out, these days, when I'm under stress. I've tried to describe it to people but the best I've been able to do is, "Imagine someone from Newfoundland who was dropped on his head as a child. Repeatedly."

Ryujin

Legend
The "Mid-Atlantic Accent" has a naming issue. Since the phony accent is called that, but there are people who do live in a region of the US called the Mid-Atlantic and they do have a distinctive accent, it leads to confusion.

Basically, watch the characters on The Wire and you get a very Baltimore ("Ballmur") version of it, but it's generally representative.
PRobably best to refer to the fake accent as "Trans-Atlantic" then, as that's one of the other names that it's known by.

Ryujin

Legend
Why does it matter that you like one food over another? Changing who people expert her to be will bother many more people(and not just Tolkien fans) than leaving her the same would have. Why irritate a lot of people if you don't have to?
People change. Presumably even Elves change. Gordon Ramsey is well known for being an abusive "chef." Back in the days when he was coming up, he was the one being insulted and abused on TV. And he was the one crying.

EDIT- - Hey, you were the one who mentioned food ;)

Amazon turned off the on-site reviews for a couple of days, because Rings of Power is being review bombed by those same toxic trolls you stumbled across. This is, sadly, the new normal.

Most fans and viewers are not so toxic, but those toxic trolls are LOUD and OBNOXIOUS . . . and tiresome. Every fandom has them now, and they feel very entitled to not just share their opinions, but to actively work at bringing down shows and the entertainers involved.

Makes me sad for humanity.
The Tyranny of the Minority; ruins it for everyone sadly.

MarkB

Legend
Why does it matter that you like one food over another? Changing who people expert her to be will bother many more people(and not just Tolkien fans) than leaving her the same would have. Why irritate a lot of people if you don't have to?
The character I've seen in these two episodes doesn't particularly go against what I saw in the movies. I can fully believe that the person I saw then took a proactive role in opposing Sauron a couple of thousand years previously.

The last thing I want from this series is to see people being carbon-copies of their older counterparts. I want interesting times and character growth, not just same old same old.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So this is what I thought of the first two episoded.

1. I was irritated by the prologue. It made it seem like the Noldor just happily sailed over to Middle Earth to fight Morgoth. No mention of the Silmarils, no mention of the Kinslaying, and no mention of the oath. The 2nd episode fixed this a bit by mentioning the Silmarils and Morgoth stealing them.
2. I very much dislike unwise, militant Galadriel. That just flat out isn't her. It also made no sense for her to jump off a ship on the other side of the ocean with no possibility of swimming back. Either have her refuse to get on the ship, or have her cross the Helcaraxe again and leave Aman that way.
3. I very much liked the dwarves. The Hobbit and LotR badly mistreated dwarves by making them comic relief. This show got them right. I also didn't mind that the dwarven women didn't have beards. That would have been a hard sell to the masses.
4. I'm not sold on the Harfoot storyline, but how I end up feeling about it will depend on who and what The Stranger is.
5. The orc killed near the end of episode 2 was way to hard to kill. A dagger in the back didn't even phase it and then a bigger whatever that was through the back was only an issue because it hit things. They feel pain and are mortal.
6. I'm mixed at this point on the portrayal of the elves in general, but it's too early for final judgment there.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
People change. Presumably even Elves change. Gordon Ramsey is well known for being an abusive "chef." Back in the days when he was coming up, he was the one being insulted and abused on TV. And he was the one crying.

EDIT- - Hey, you were the one who mentioned food ;)
People don't generally regress from who they were 6000 years ago, 5000 years ago, 4000 years ago, 3000 years ago, 2000 years ago, and 1000 years ago, then a few hundred years later go back to what they were for 6000 years when they move to the forest.

I very much dislike unwise, militant Galadriel.
Is she unwise? She's right the others just don't want to believe her.

That just flat out isn't her. It also made no sense for her to jump off a ship on the other side of the ocean with no possibility of swimming back. Either have her refuse to get on the ship, or have her cross the Helcaraxe again and leave Aman that way.
Yeah, that was definitely really weird.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Is she unwise? She's right the others just don't want to believe her.

Yeah, that was definitely really weird.
Galadriel from even before she left Aman was not warlike or super angry. She didn't swear the oath and disagreed with how her kin behaved. She was the wise counselor and didn't partake in the wars, even when her kin were killed. For her to give that up and suddenly become a warlike, angry, orc hating elf is grossly out of character for her. It would be like Steve Rogers suddenly becoming a serial killer for a few years and then changing back.

People change, yes, but they generally don't change that drastically without a traumatic brain injury or a brain tumor.

MarkB

Legend
People don't generally regress from who they were 6000 years ago, 5000 years ago, 4000 years ago, 3000 years ago, 2000 years ago, and 1000 years ago, then a few hundred years later go back to what they were for 6000 years when they move to the forest.
This show's canon doesn't include portrayals of her from 6000 years ago. They don't have access to that material, and aren't bound by it.

And if anything's going to change someone, it's the death of a loved one.

Remove ads