D&D 5E The Magical Martial

You do if you want the players to have a frame of reference.
No you don't.

Players know whether they can make fireballs or jump chasms.

If you tell them their characters can make fireballs or jump chasms, they will already know that the PC can do things they can't. They shouldn't be surprised by this if they read anything from the introduction to the book.. or know anything about fantasy generally.

People who argue that some actions must be supernatural.
If that is what you think you have completed misunderstood the discussions. Which I already assume from your previous post - but just thought you should know
No you don't.

Players know whether they can make fireballs or jump chasms.

If you tell them their characters can make fireballs or jump chasms, they will already know that the PC can do things they can't. They shouldn't be surprised by this if they read anything from the introduction to the book.. or know anything about fantasy generally.
except the rules are used for more than fantasy, or did you not realize that?

Sure, but wouldn't it just be easier for everyone if the game designers actually wrote the rules in the book instead of having the GM to invent them? Like that's what we are paying them for.
Oh it depends. If the rule is written players assume it is true, where that may not always be the case. Different play styles and different settings and environments impact these actions. Once it is on the page players feel entitled to what is written.

Now a DM can overcome that, but it can make it more difficult.

I know my DM would not mind more written rules, he is happy to ignore them however he doesn’t like paying for things he doesn’t use

Yes, that is works great for a fantasy setting, but D&D has for long time been used for more than fantasy
I'm sure someone has used D&D to run a combat free modern dating sim while the party manages a small auto repair shop, but that doesn't make it a good fit for such games.

5E is inherently high magic: 9 of the 13 classes cast spells, the monk is inherently supernatural and the remaining 3 have magical options. Magic is at will and constant. D&D should really embrace this. Gimme Book of 9 Swords 5E dammit. For that matter, make the Book of Low Magic Dirt Farmers, because the 5E casters with their at will and no risk magic are kind of a poor fit for that world.

Hell, also gimme the dating sim book.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
If that is what you think you have completed misunderstood the discussions. Which I already assume from your previous post - but just thought you should know
Did it?

This thread is about martials getting monster abilities due to the lack of full scaling in martial abilities in contrast to the monsters they face.

The knight doesn't get to the next tier with the sword and the thief the next tier with stealth.

They instead throw rocks like a giant or turn invisible like a fairy respectively.

Or am I wrong?

This sounds all pretty, but it misses the entire point...

There is nothing that a pure martial party can accomplish beyond "survive this big chunk of damage" that a caster team or a team with a single caster CANNOT accomplish. But there is so so so much that a pure martial team cannot accomplish. This isn't about everyone being able to do the same things, this is about what can a martial character do to affect the plot that a spellcaster CANNOT accomplish. Hard limit cannot.

And there is currently.... nothing.
Thank you for the clarification.

I guess I would argue that having the things I mentioned are things specifically are not available to the magic using classes you mentioned. I picked those for that reason. This is the part of the conversation where things become difficult for me because I have to remember what is custom rules vs stock. I guess my main answer to the criticism is mundane classes excel at solving problems without magic.

For example, the absolute best stealth a person can have is a wholly unmagical high level rogue. Magic has auras that can be detected, but rogues can become masters of stealth and misdirection. Evading guardians with active perceptive magic running are their main forte. It's not just stealth, but also learning how to subtly redirect attention away from where you are to where you are not. But that's custom.

I haven't defined anything that magic can not do, because by definition it can do anything. Given that magic is discrete bits in D&D, I do enforce the opportunity costs that come about when spells are chosen. Just because it can be done by magic doesn't mean that your character can.

To get back to the OP, I remember Minigiant asking once "what does a high level fighter look like"? Different thread, I think. Stormonu's post (#210) was a reasonable start. When I think about it, with my rules, a 12th level fighter would be able to take out up to 15 1-HD targets a round with a donkey's jawbone. They might be able to subdue a mid-sized dragon (up to 12-15 HD) on their own. They could command a troop of 120 soliders who were utterly loyal.

I also have a delineation between mundane, uncanny, preternatural, and supernatural / magical. In part this is because I want fighters and rogues to be completely non-magical but still be able to accomplish fantastic things. There are also a number of people in the real world who have accomplished amazing things because they were highly trained in just the right situation, phenomenally lucky, or both and survived.

I agree that after a while extra bonuses become superfluous and it is expanded capability that matters. A high level fighter or rogue just shouldn't need to roll on certain tasks unless there is a change of assumptions. A 12th level rogue just doesn't need to roll to open a padlock.

Now, this is me. As to what "should" be, what WotC "should" publish, I don't care that much. I know what aesthetic I and my players like, and I work to fulfil that. I have the time, &c. to write what rules are necessary, and if they suck I change them. Eventually everyone's happy.

except the rules are used for more than fantasy, or did you not realize that?
Ummm.. look at the cover.. you know the one..with the mage, the fire giant and the hell hound.

Look at the the Table of Contents.. hmm..Wizards, Elves, spellcasting..what do we have here?

Read most anything in the Introduction.

What other conclusion do you think people are drawing from this stuff?

Ummm.. look at the cover.. you know the one..with the mage, the fire giant and the hell hound.

Look at the the Table of Contents.. hmm..Wizards, Elves, spellcasting..what do we have here?

Read most anything in the Introduction.

What other conclusion do you think people are drawing from this stuff?
I’m speaking about how the game has been played for the 30yrs I’ve been playing.

Did it?

This thread is about martials getting monster abilities due to the lack of full scaling in martial abilities in contrast to the monsters they face.

The knight doesn't get to the next tier with the sword and the thief the next tier with stealth.

They instead throw rocks like a giant or turn invisible like a fairy respectively.

Or am I wrong?
Yes and no

Remove ads