The mandalorian [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pukunui

Legend
Holy crap.
Awful CGI aside, that was awesome.
Sure, it was obvious it wasn't really Luke, and they went out of their way to minimize having his head/face in view as much as possible, but I'd say it was still better CGI than Jar Jar Binks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure, it was obvious it wasn't really Luke, and they went out of their way to minimize having his head/face in view as much as possible, but I'd say it was still better CGI than Jar Jar Binks.
I was more referring to the dark troopers.

pukunui

Legend
The terminator punch Din in helmet looked a bit hokey. That weightless CGI effect.
Looked all right to me. That beskar is super strong! It's basically the Star Wars equivalent of adamantine. It's so strong that, instead of the punch smashing the helmet, instead Din's whole head was making a dent in the wall.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh really? They looked fine to me. Satisfyingly sinister and intense!

I was worried they'd be strong enough to smash Din's beskar helmet. Luckily for him, that wasn't the case!
The individual one was OK. The group shots looked like cheap video game cutscenes.
But that’s a minor niggle. The episode was fantastic.

Zardnaar

Legend
Looked all right to me. That beskar is super strong! It's basically the Star Wars equivalent of adamantine. It's so strong that, instead of the punch smashing the helmet, instead Din's whole head was making a dent in the wall.

It's the punch connecting with helmet. The sound effect and wall is a distraction.

pukunui

Legend
The individual one was OK. The group shots looked like cheap video game cutscenes.
But that’s a minor niggle. The episode was fantastic.
Well, they are originally from a video game, so ...

But yes, my minor niggle is that Gideon didn't get to kill anyone with his hidden blaster at the end. I think the death of a character at that point, even if it had just been Bo-Katan's sidekick*, would've raised the stakes and made Gideon a bit more dangerous. Alas, the beskar proved too impenetrable yet again. (Surely Moff "Assume I know everything" Gideon would know to aim at the vulnerable spots between the plates.)

*Speaking of sidekicks, what happened to Bo-Katan's male minion? I guess maybe he was off doing something else.

It's the punch connecting with helmet. The sound effect and wall is a distraction.
Yeah maybe. I guess I was distracted enough not to notice!

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, they are originally from a video game, so ...

But yes, my minor niggle is that Gideon didn't get to kill anyone with his hidden blaster at the end. I think the death of a character at that point, even if it had just been Bo-Katan's sidekick*, would've raised the stakes and made Gideon a bit more dangerous. Alas, the beskar proved too impenetrable yet again. (Surely Moff "Assume I know everything" Gideon would know to aim at the vulnerable spots between the plates.)

*Speaking of sidekicks, what happened to Bo-Katan's male minion? I guess maybe he was off doing something else.

Yeah maybe. I guess I was distracted enough not to notice!

It wasn't a biggie. Compared to the movies they're getting around twice the footage on a fraction of the budget.

pukunui

Legend
It wasn't a biggie. Compared to the movies they're getting around twice the footage on a fraction of the budget.
Don't get me wrong. I've been really enjoying this series. Best Star Wars content since Rogue One!

I really appreciated that they actually answered some questions in this episode (like what the dark troopers were) and addressed some of the wider established lore -- like with Bo-Katan confronting Boba about the fact that he's really a clone and has heard his voice so many times before.

Bo-Katan is really an interesting character. Fairly morally gray. She was once part of a group considered to be a terrorist organization, and she clearly holds her own views about what it means to be a Mandalorian. To me, she comes across as a bit of an aristocratic elitist in this show, looking down on foundling Din's Children of the Watch and proclaiming that the clone of foundling Jango isn't a "real" Mandalorian.

But then the Mandalorians have always been portrayed as being ferociously tribal, so I guess this is just a continuation of that tendency for them to fight amongst themselves that led to so many devastating civil wars in their past. (Consider how Concord Dawn was partially destroyed, and how Mandalore itself was so scarred that its people had to live inside domes. I'll be interested to see what they mean by "turned to glass", as the planet was already pretty much a blasted wasteland when last we saw it in the Clone Wars.)

EDIT: It would've come across as too fan servicey and probably not fit the vibe of the scene, but I think it would've been interesting if Luke had identified himself as a Skywalker only to have Bo-Katan be like, "Are you any relation to Anakin? I fought with him during the Clone Wars ..."

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads