The mandalorian [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I just watched the first episode, and it was okay-ish. The costumes and practical effects are fantastic. But plot-wise it hasn't hooked me yet, and it fails to really build a mood. But I will continue to watch it and see if it gets better. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

It was 30 minutes-ish long. How much plot did you want in that short of time?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
The show is also a lot shorter than I thought it would be, eight 30ish minute episodes. But I liked the first episode pretty much. I don't know why the Mandalorian didn't park his ship like one or two miles away from the town and hoof it in (like IG-11 did). Instead we had to get that whole beast training montage.
He didn't kniw where the bounty was, just a general area. We have no idea where IG-11 landed. The training scene was because it's a western -- gotta do a horse scene.

RobShanti

Explorer
Boba Fett wasn't a "foundling," he was a clone.

Some nods I noticed and appreciated:
  • The Man with No Name, literally, so far
  • Madmartigan and the baby (see also Lone Wolf & Cub manga)
  • The 1960s Batman TV series climb up the side of the sandcrawler
  • The weapon Boba Fett used in his Star Wars Holiday Special cartoon debut

Last edited:

Baby has force like powers......The Jawas stripping his ship, just reminded me of jokes about walking away from your car in Detroit for five mins and coming back to finding it up on blocks with just the frame lol

I have spoken.

It was 30 minutes-ish long. How much plot did you want in that short of time?

I was mostly hoping it would hook me. I understand that a plot takes time to build, so I will watch another episode. But so far it didn't click with me, if that makes any sense.

I've watched plenty of shows over the years that also had 30 minute episodes and were able to click.

EDIT: I have now watched the second episode, and there's plenty of stuff to like in this episode. But still, it hasn't hooked me. Its entertaining, but not anywhere on the level of other scifi shows that I enjoy watching. What I do admire is the practical effects (still), and the direction. I like that they take the time to let a shot play out, much like an old western. The old western vibe is all over this show.

Last edited:

Philip Benz

A Dragontooth Grognard
Isn't the guy who played the speeder driver the same actor who plays the geology professor on Big Bang Theory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads