The mandalorian [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Eh, don’t need anyone to die on screen to see how scary something like that is.

I loved seeing the post war “these weapons are showing up in backwaters all over” element explored a bit, though. Very cool.

Zardnaar

Legend
Timezones advantage, 33 minutes long
IMG_20191207_000730.jpg

Haven't seen episode 5 yet, but my thoughts on episode 4:

Positive:

Well directed episode (Great job Bryce Dallas Howard).

I love that we got to see an AT-ST in this show (I knew it was coming), and I like how they portray it as a monster lurching from the forest with its red eyes. There is just fantastic art design all over this show. I would also like to know how these effect scenes were shot.

Gina Carano is fantastic. You can tell she's an MMA fighter, because she knows how to sell a punch. It is also great to see a lady with the muscles to match her part.

Negative:

The idea that baby Yoda would be safe on the planet (or any planet) is rather silly. The Mandalorian already knows that lots of other bounty hunters are after this little guy. So why would he ever think he's safe on any planet?

I wish the way the AT-ST was defeated was a bit more clever. This just seemed like a bit of a writers block. There are so many clever ways in which they could have dealt with this primitive looking 2-legged vehicle. The way it ended up playing out was a bit disappointing.

I think there's a fine line between paying hommage to common western tropes and being predictable. This show is unfortunately on the side of being extremely predictable (and I think thats a fair judgement after 4 episodes). While throwing in the occasional trope is fine in my opinion, when the show feels like they are going through every trope one by one in very familiar ways, it just ends up lacking any excitement. Firefly also had western tropes, but it was mixed up with plot twists and clever humor. There just doesn't seem to be anything in The Mandalorian that is particularly clever.

Other things:

I think this is the first time we've seen a walker being referred to as a 'mech' in the Star Wars universe. It felt odd to me. 'Mech' or 'Mecha' are typically how giant robots (controlled by people) are referred to in Japan. The word used in Star Wars has always been 'walker', but in this episode both words are used. It's a bit strange and I don't really like it. But that's just my personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases