D&D 5E The Modern Adventurer's Guide to Guns & Gear: A 5e supplement kickstarter - Fully funded!

Hey everyone. The kickstarter for my 5e supplement, the Modern Adventurer's Guide to Guns & Gear, went live just the other day!

The book is 200+ pages of content to update your 5e campaigns to a modern fantasy setting. It includes rules for firearms, explosives, and equipment. It even has a chapter on how different fantasy cultures would think about firearm design. Together with all that, it also features 24 new subclasses (2 for each core class), new feats, new spells, new backgrounds, new skills, some modern themed NPC's, the works!

You can check out the campaign to get more details, including the trailer, here.

Cover ImageV2 (edit).jpg

commission_Worgman_BW_03.jpg

Cultural Firearms.jpg

SUBCLASS FORENSIC WIZARD.jpg

NPCs01.jpg

Lizard Guy.jpg
00ed20d59e37bf7831f1139592af31c5-Full.png

Last edited:

I have said it several time, and I say it here again. The firearms may break the power balance easily.

For example in the first Robocop movie, the oldest one, when Murphy faced with the robot ED-209 this couldn't be defeated, and he had to run away. In the last minutes of the movie when Robocop is going to face the big bad guy, only one shot with the cobra assault canon was enough. In the first movie of alien one xenomorph was enough to kill almost all Nostromo crew, but in the sequel dozens of them, maybe hundred ones, were killed from other room thanks sentinel turrets. In Sylverster Stalone's movie "Cobra" the main female character, played by Bridgitte Nielsen, couldn't face the main villain, the night slasher, but in the end of the movie the main character like a true one-man-army with enough ammo could terminate completely the cult of the new dawn. In videogames as "Resident Evil" or "Evil Within" you have to hide if you haven't a right weapon, or you want to save ammo, but with enough item, then you can face dozens of enemies.

Have you played a battle royal videogame? An enemy with the same stats may be more dangerous only thanks a better firearms. And if we started to talk about exosuits, powered-armors and mechas

I have said it several time, and I say it here again. The firearms may break the power balance easily.

For example in the first Robocop movie, the oldest one, when Murphy faced with the robot ED-209 this couldn't be defeated, and he had to run away. In the last minutes of the movie when Robocop is going to face the big bad guy, only one shot with the cobra assault canon was enough. In the first movie of alien one xenomorph was enough to kill almost all Nostromo crew, but in the sequel dozens of them, maybe hundred ones, were killed from other room thanks sentinel turrets. In Sylverster Stalone's movie "Cobra" the main female character, played by Bridgitte Nielsen, couldn't face the main villain, the night slasher, but in the end of the movie the main character like a true one-man-army with enough ammo could terminate completely the cult of the new dawn. In videogames as "Resident Evil" or "Evil Within" you have to hide if you haven't a right weapon, or you want to save ammo, but with enough item, then you can face dozens of enemies.

Have you played a battle royal videogame? An enemy with the same stats may be more dangerous only thanks a better firearms. And if we started to talk about exosuits, powered-armors and mechas
is that (and I mean this for real as a qustion not an argument I would love a good discussion) any diffrent then a fireball or call lightinng

The spells have got a daily number limit, and the magic item are more expensive, but firearms are easier to be broken. A kobold with an axe and a shield is a challenge, but the same kobold, with the same stats, but with a sniper rifle from a window, or the top of a roof, are a true nightmare for PCs too focused into melee combat and without ranged weapons.

The spells have got a daily number limit, and the magic item are more expensive, but firearms are easier to be broken. A kobold with an axe and a shield is a challenge, but the same kobold, with the same stats, but with a sniper rifle from a window, or the top of a roof, are a true nightmare for PCs too focused into melee combat and without ranged weapons.
Yes in a melee party any ranged enemy sniping them is an issue... throw some archers at a melee party and they are in trouble, throw those archers behind arrow slits and you may have a TPK on your hands

I admit it might not be the best idea to take my supplement, make an all melee party, and run towards people with rifles and machine guns :ROFLMAO: That said, the playtests have been great fun.
it depends... if you are the killer DM it sounds GREAT!

Now I don't know your system at all, but I have had good experience even using the DMG guns so I doubt (unless you are packing 10d6 tommy guns) it will really be an issue. Now it looks to me like you have a whole sub setting of urban fantasy, is there any reading up on that or is this just a book o weapons?

it depends... if you are the killer DM it sounds GREAT!

Now I don't know your system at all, but I have had good experience even using the DMG guns so I doubt (unless you are packing 10d6 tommy guns) it will really be an issue. Now it looks to me like you have a whole sub setting of urban fantasy, is there any reading up on that or is this just a book o weapons?
There's optional rules for higher damage output, like exploding dice, but the core system uses mostly regular 5e damage numbers. Anyway, the book is pretty much setting neutral. I designed it so you can put it alongside your core 5e books and run a modern fantasy/urban fantasy setting on the fly. It has rules for firearms, explosives (even nukes), and modern equipment. It also has 24 subclasses, 2 for each core class, new feats, new spells, backgrounds, skills, fighting styles, etc. It even has a short introductionary adventure.

One of the things people have told me they want to do with it is update existing modules to a more modern setting. Like World War 2 Curse of Strahd, or 1920s Ghosts of Saltmarsh. Stuff like that!

Remove ads