• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The more I play it the more it shines.

Gundark

Explorer
I've played probably about 6 sessions of 4e now(as DM). After playing this long I've come to the conclusion that 4e really plays well. It's like a well oiled machine. I see some posts of people who after playing it once are ready to ditch it. I think you're missing out, maybe you could do that with a board game or a card game...not a rpg. Now matter what the rpg I always play it at least 3 times...you have to to fully appreciate the system.

4e isn't dumbed down...the mechanics are really clean (this is the only word I can think). Try it for at least 3 and if you still don't like it fine, however 4e's strengths really shine the more you play.

Last edited:

Ydars

Explorer
How have you got around the problems of skill challenges Gundark? I have hesitated to run a game becuase my group really wants skill challenges and it appears that the maths for this section of the rules is broken.

Agamon

Adventurer
Ydars said:
How have you got around the problems of skill challenges Gundark? I have hesitated to run a game becuase my group really wants skill challenges and it appears that the maths for this section of the rules is broken.

Here's to the internet; the answer to, and cause of, all of life's problems. :)

My suggestion is to try it rather than veiw it as a mathematical exercise. It may not be a borked as you think.

Gundark

Explorer
Ydars said:

Well I would say try it, espically if the group wants to try them out. There were a few things about 4e that I balked at too ( minions with one HP and monsters marking), while I'm still not 100% with these things they definetly weren't so bad after trying them out.

Besides if your like me you won't be able to come up with a fiw until you try it out. :)

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Agamon said:
My suggestion is to try it rather than veiw it as a mathematical exercise.

That was why I became disillusioned with 3rd Ed (certainly DMing it) – it became a mathematical exercise.

…And an arms race.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I feel the same way about Castles and Crusades. :)

My group just isn't feeling the 4E love. (shrug) Oh well. We're still having plenty of fun with our current 3.5E game, so all's well that ends well I suppose.

Last edited:

med stud

First Post
I have the same impression. I was afraid combats would last forever and that powers would be bland but in play it turned out quite the opposite. You get the feeling that things are happening and fights are dynamic.

Between combats it feels like any other RPG I have played. Skill checks and roleplaying. Skill challenges are nice but I haven't adhered to the rules. It's more about description of action -> roll dice -> narrating of consequences -> a new player describes what his PC does.

Oh, and it's possible to have a party composed of non-magic users without the game breaking down =). I go for a Conan- feel in this game, with the heroes using steel and bravery and the mages are villains. As for now, it goes like a clock :)

Wormwood

Adventurer
Gundark said:
I've played probably about 6 sessions of 4e now(as DM). After playing this long I've come to the conclusion that 4e really plays well. It's like a well oiled machine.
Needless to say, my experience mirrors yours.

I'm in the enviable position of being in two games, one as a DM and one as a player---and I can't remember the last time D&D was equally entertaining on both sides of the screen.

Somewhere in Reagan's first term, I think.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I think the same applies to the concerns about the layout and look of the books.

IME, having the books in hand, even with the lame index, it's generally very easy to find what you're looking for as it tends to stand out or be in a logical order.

ikazuchi

Explorer
One question

I've been trying to get some people together to run a few tests. I can see where there is a lot to like about the system but it seems very dependent on miniatures and battle maps - something which is an anathema to my and my groups.

I'm not concerned about non-combat encounters or anything except how the games runs in a non-dungeon, no maps, no minis, fast paced, swashbuckling-like fights (specific, I know).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads